Can 83 yr old adjust from DISH to Directv?

If they can afford it, a better alternative is to instal cable and keep Dish. Does their tv have more than 1 input? If so then all they beould have to do is switch from Dish to cable to get MSG.

If DISH only offered MSG, YES and SNY like DirecTV does for an extra $3 a month......

My 75 year old Dad liked my Dish set up and wanted to switch until I told him he wouldn't get Sabres hockey or Yankees baseball. Those were deal breakers for him and I bet they are for MANY others in New York. Which is only home to the nation's largest media market.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sorry, I must disagree. It IS about age. As we age, learning new things becomes more difficult. For some more than others, but it catches us all if we live long enough. I worked with the elderly for a few years, and I deal with elderly relatives and their friends. In my experience, most people in their 80s don't want to bother, don't see much return for the effort. They are happy with what they have.

I set my MiL up with an HD cable DVR. It tools YEARS before she learned to use it (how hard? See program in EPG in future, click.). Now she really appreciates it. But she had to come to terms with it at her own pace. She's in her 80s.

There are people where she lives still complaining about not being able to change the channel on their TV set. "Why do I need a cable box? Cable used to plug into my trusty TV and just work fine!" At least one person had them remove the microwave.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I agree it has nothing to do with age, it depends on the individual. I'm 81, drive a motorcycle, install and maintain my 10 & 12 foot dishes, along with 5 smaller dishes with the aid of a Super Buddy 29, and service my computer.

I hope to be like this in my older years :) .

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I agree it has nothing to do with age, it depends on the individual. I'm 81, drive a motorcycle, install and maintain my 10 & 12 foot dishes, along with 5 smaller dishes with the aid of a Super Buddy 29, and service my computer.

That is why there should never be a blanket statement about people your age. My grandmother is the same way. Glad to hear your still out there living it up!

I'm handicapped and in a wheelchair and I hate when people use a blanket statement about people with disabilities. I work full time have a beautiful wife and child. I am just as active as I have ever been. I'm still a Marine that is up every morning working out and kicking ass. People need to quit lumping everyone as the same. Just because you know such and such and such and such happened to you or a relative of your doesn't mean its like that for everyone.

Be as politically correct as you like, declare comments to be blanket statements, etc. The fact remains, the percentage of trouble calls from the elderly is higher than from younger demographics. This isn't denigrating the elderly. It is what it is. To stick our heads in the sand and say it ain't so may be politically correct, but it won't help anybody understand their system.

Be as politically correct as you like, declare comments to be blanket statements, etc. The fact remains, the percentage of trouble calls from the elderly is higher than from younger demographics. This isn't denigrating the elderly. It is what it is. To stick our heads in the sand and say it ain't so may be politically correct, but it won't help anybody understand their system.

I didn't post that to be politically correct. I'm sure your right about the percentage of calls coming from the elderly. All I am saying is don't lump everyone in as the same. If the OP or anyone else feels their elderly relative can handle the change then great. If not then that's fine too. I don't understand the whole...... oh your life will suck if they change and so on. You don't know that for sure. No one does.

I say this with no disrespect sir. You always have good well thought out posts unlike others who think the world and this board revolve around them. I think we can agree to disagree.

Very true. I was just giving an option. I ave TWC internet and had the super basic ($14/mo or so). I went to cancel the cable portion, but they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. For $8 more per month they gave me full basic digital cable with a dvr and a 2nd cable box for 2 years. I'll see what they offer at the end. All I really use it for is MSG.

Yes. All old folks aren't the same, I have, in my time, talked to some pretty sharp customers in their late 80s and around 90. I have also talked to customers in their 40s who didn't have a clue.

BUT...as a rule of thumb, older customers have more problems than younger customers, primarily with b/b/s (black/blue/snowy screens, usually on the wrong input) and remote control issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts