Can you diplex cable internet with a Hopper setup?

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
I had cable internet in the past (pre-Hopper/Joey) and I had the internet diplexed over the same cable as my interent to get to a central location. It worked great. I have had U-Verse internet for the past couple years and am now going back to cable internet. Is it possible to diplex the cable internet signal over the same lines used in a H/J setup? If so, are there limitations on which lines can be used (e.g. from the dish to the node, from the node to the Hopper or the joey, etc.)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had cable internet in the past (pre-Hopper/Joey) and I had the internet diplexed over the same cable as my interent to get to a central location. It worked great. I have had U-Verse internet for the past couple years and am now going back to cable internet. Is it possible to diplex the cable internet signal over the same lines used in a H/J setup? If so, are there limitations on which lines can be used (e.g. from the dish to the node, from the node to the Hopper or the joey, etc.)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you were to have only a single Hopper and no Joey receivers and utilize either wired (Cat 5) or wireless (WiFi) to the hopper, you probably could get away with using diplexors. It is not supported by the DISH folks, but I'm pretty sure it would work.

Miner

Technically you could diplex cable into the sat feed between the dish and the node and then diplexer it out again before it gets to the node, since the node is only pulling in the frequency range of 950-2150 MHz.

If you try using diplexers on any of the cables after the node, you're gonna have a bad time. The Hopper system uses the whole spectrum all the way up to 3ghz.

So I have a HWS, a Hopper and 4 joeys. So you're saying that wouldn't work?

If you're trying to put the modem next to the Hooper more than likely not as it would interfere with the moca frequency used for the joeys. If you're trying run the cable feed into the house with the sat signal before the node it could be done but would have to be undiplexed prior to the node.

So I have a HWS, a Hopper and 4 joeys. So you're saying that wouldn't work?

No, you will end up screwing up either the Internet or the Satellite eventually. It's much better in the long run just to run a new cable. Even diplexing before the node will most likely cause issues eventually.

First, thanks for all of the help so far. Second, why would diplexing before the node (and ending before the node) cause issues eventually? Shouldn't it either work or not work?

First, thanks for all of the help so far. Second, why would diplexing before the node (and ending before the node) cause issues eventually? Shouldn't it either work or not work?

I have seen it work just fine. What's the worst thing that will happen? Your internet will have issues not your sat system and thenif it bothers you, You have to take out the diplexers.

If its your system I say play with it as long as you know how to make it work again.

I have seen it work just fine. What's the worst thing that will happen? Your internet will have issues not your sat system and thenif it bothers you, You have to take out the diplexers.

If its your system I say play with it as long as you know how to make it work again.

I have seen it work as well on VIP equipment, but I have also seen it fail (and been the one that had to fix it). From my experience it will cause issues sooner or later. All anecdotal.

But you are very much right in saying feel free to try it, so long as you can fix it.

Dont even try!

Just went through this at a friends house....Knocked out all the Joeys.... Cable One thought it would work ended coming back that night and running straight cable to modem...

It will NOT work. Dish uses MOCA F range which is 675 - 850 MHz. Cable internet is 5 - 850 MHz. So guess what will happened if you put both on the same cable.

It will NOT work. Dish uses MOCA F range which is 675 - 850 MHz. Cable internet is 5 - 850 MHz. So guess what will happened if you put both on the same cable.

As stated previously, it will work. It just needs to be separated before hitting the node. It's not approved or recommended, but it will work. Dish also says not to bridge nodes together if installing more than 2 hoppers because it will potentially cause problems, but it's been proven to work. Sometimes you just have to see what happens.

MOCA happens after the node, and in most installations node is outside or right after cables enter house. And OP was asking why wouldn't it work behind the node.
I am inhouse tech and we're told to bridge nodes on MOCA/client port. You should only avoid bridging through splitter since this can hinder MOCA quality.
But feel free to do what you want, just know that if I happen to be one to fix it I will charge you 49$ for cable management to get it back to working order.

Last edited:
You may want to check dns forums about 3+ hopper installs as far as node bridging is concerned. We do it as well but it is an officially unsupported method and it has been clearly stated NOT to do so.

Screen shot of Frank's quote....

ForumRunner_20131219_192143.png

Even though it has been known to work.

MOCA happens after the node, and in most installations node is outside or right after cables enter house. And OP was asking why wouldn't it work behind the node.
I am inhouse tech and we're told to bridge nodes on MOCA/client port. You should only avoid bridging through splitter since this can hinder MOCA quality.
But feel free to do what you want, just know that if I happen to be one to fix it I will charge you 49$ for cable management to get it back to working order.

You aren't the only in house on.this forum....

And your wrong about being told to do it, unless your local management is clueless.

See my screen shot.

You aren't the only in house on.this forum....

And your wrong about being told to do it, unless your local management is clueless.

See my screen shot.

Never said I was...
With all the respect, when it comes to me being wrong on what I was told or not, how can you know that?
And I know I am right on the subject started by OP, but that seems to be less important all of a sudden...
Linking client ports works. Diplexing between node and Hopper when Joeys are involved does NOT.

Your an in house tech and you're told to connect two nodes together via the client port? I'm pretty certain DISH doesn't support this so that's odd your office would tell you to do so.

Last edited:
The only reason I can see that linking client ports would become an issue is if their underdeveloped software can't handle it. I've had nodes linked together for 1.5 years now with no issues other than the firmware prior to S222 couldn't take it. Have a look in the installer zone and you'll see all the evidence you need that I have a PERFECTLY working 4-Hopper/1-Joey setup with linked Duo Nodes.

I understand that the real goal is to reduce trouble calls. Adding complexity can increase the likelihood of trouble calls. ALL cables must be decent for it to work properly. So I can see where they're coming from, they'd rather just install a setup with reduced functionality than install a setup with full functionality and more risks for TCs.

BTW how did this go from diplexor to client port linking?

Personally, I wouldn't ever recommend anyone use diplexors anywhere within a Hopper system. Not even before the node.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)