Canada crtc rules cable companies must offer pick and pay channels-25-basic

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
OK it not FTA BUT will it change what might be up there?
Do a search for
the national cbc

CRTC rules cable companies must offer pick-and-pay channels, $25 basic package

I remember when I got my BUD system back in 1988. Pretty much everything back then could be purchased ala carte and I never spent more than $125 a year for the TV I actually wanted to watch. That and the occasional month of HBO or other premium movie channels. Oh for the good old days! :deadhorse2

Reactions: Blindowl1234
ALC MIGHT work in Canada. It certainly won't in the US.

With packages, leaving out the expensive sports channels, which are another issue, you pay a few cents each for a variety of channels. Now you don't watch 1, 2, 4, 6, or 7. But somebody else doesn't watch 3, 5, or 8. And so on across the economy. But all exist because all are funded. BUT, if you had to pay the true cost of each one, probably NONE would exist, because rather than cost a few cents each for everyone, the niche and sub-niche channels would cost $$ each to the few people what actually want them. And nobody would really want to pay $$, and they channels would die out. Back to the days of 20 channel cable. No thanks.

As it is with prescription drugs, Canada is in a unique situation. The USA can pay the costs of these channels, and the providers will be willing to make a few cents extra from Canada.

Very bad day for the consumer.

ALC MIGHT work in Canada. It certainly won't in the US.

With packages, leaving out the expensive sports channels, which are another issue, you pay a few cents each for a variety of channels. Now you don't watch 1, 2, 4, 6, or 7. But somebody else doesn't watch 3, 5, or 8. And so on across the economy. But all exist because all are funded. BUT, if you had to pay the true cost of each one, probably NONE would exist, because rather than cost a few cents each for everyone, the niche and sub-niche channels would cost $$ each to the few people what actually want them. And nobody would really want to pay $$, and they channels would die out. Back to the days of 20 channel cable. No thanks.

As it is with prescription drugs, Canada is in a unique situation. The USA can pay the costs of these channels, and the providers will be willing to make a few cents extra from Canada.

Very bad day for the consumer.
I will disagree. It certainly would, and could, work in the USA. If the FCC were to institute an ala-carte rule the very first thing that would happen is dozens of junk channels would disappear and networks that have bundled in those junk channels in order to demand more money from carriers would be in a buyer's market, a place they don't want to be. The idea that the remaining channels would cost $$ is the propoganda the industry is trying to sell and it doesn't fly. As mentioned above, back when programming was ala-carte it was very cost friendly. It wasn't until ESPN and others forced bundling on the industry that consumer costs sky-rocketed. Hurrah for Canada and come on FCC!

Reactions: danristheman
As mentioned above, back when programming was ala-carte it was very cost friendly. It wasn't until ESPN and others forced bundling on the industry that consumer costs sky-rocketed. Hurrah for Canada and come on FCC!
It seems strange now that you could buy a whole year of some channels for $1-$2 when ala-carte was common. Our entire budget was $50 a year and we usually didn't spend that much (family of 5) in the 90's. We usually really only watched 12 channels or less of pay TV. Even considering inflation most channels should probably cost $5-$10 for a whole year now. Current prices seem to be way out of line for the value received. But as long as people continue to pay for TV as if it is a necessity of life, I doubt things will change.

Just an old man's take on it.

DRCars

A lot of what happened is the cable companies and programmers finally got what they wanted, the demise of TVRO. First they tried scrambling, and high prices for programming in 1986, in many cases when scrambling first started, if you were in a cabled area, you had to buy from the cable company. Of course, cracking the VCII and M/A-Com/General Instrument support (lack of doing anything to secure) of it eventually lead to cheaper and reasonable 3rd party packages and programming prices by the early '90s. While the introduction of DSS in 1994 and Dish Network in 1996 didn't necessarily help TVRO sales, the death nail for TVRO came though in about 1997 when Dish introduced the $199 satellite system, and DSS/DirecTV soon followed, that was the end of the line. Also G.I didn't help matters by delaying the introduction of DigiCipher over and over and over, and then when they finally released it as 4DTV, they claimed it couldn't be a standalone module, that you had to give up your Drake or Tracker or Monterrey. Then when it (4DTV) flopped, as a last ditch effort G.I. comes out with the 905 sidecar. Now, in order to get cable programming, we are chained to DBS or Cable, and have to take what they give us. No longer have the choice that TVRO gave us. Of course, I'm beating a horse that has long since been dead.

I was using 4DTV for at least 10 years. I think I made the transition in 2002 to digital from analog VCII subscription and never paid more than $20 month for the channels I chose to have until the very end of it a few years ago. The want for HD and to regain lost networks such as Discovery finally pushed me over the edge to Dish. It was nice at first to suddenly have 250 channels to chose from and after the novelty wore off, I'm probably back to watching the same couple of dozen channels I used to watch for a mere 4x more per month.

As I contemplate reducing my package to a reasonable cost, I personally would again sub to ala-carte package in a heartbeat if the channels I wanted were available.

30% of the Canadian population live in either Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver and each city can get over 30 channels via OTA.
I for one am not going to pay for something I already get for free.

On the other hand I live where there is only 3 channels OTA, and I can only get 2 reliably.

I think I would pay $25 for all the Canadian channels. I would probably get Discovery and History as well.

Bell is now wanting the CRTC to stop the US border TV stations from spilling over into Canada. How about that for running a monopoly?

Bell is now wanting the CRTC to stop the US border TV stations from spilling over into Canada. How about that for running a monopoly?
They have did that (spilled over the border) for 65 plus years, what is Bell's solution to stop the signal at the border?

It's all RF juice spiliing over, unless Canada wants to jam the US's airwave TV stations south of the border that woud be considered act of war!:(

I also hate copyright censership crap!,,,

I'd say that it's also a form of censorship.
Could see that coming when things went digital up here. Local TV stations (owned by BIG cable/satellite distributors) told the public they were going off the air and you HAD to sign up for cable/satellite in order to get your local channels. Most consumers followed like sheep and bought into the $1200/yr cable market. Now they are stuck watching what THEY want you to watch.

Then they don't want advertizing dollars slipping south of the border... the US broadcasts that Canadian cable/satellite companies do carry are never locals.

Glad I live in an area where I can put up an antenna and pick up local broadcasts both north and south of the border via OTA, and in nice HD quality, better than cable/sat providers carry, and with their own commercials, all for free (if you don't include antennae, cabling, etc)

If bandwidth were available, most if not all TV channels could be streamed... Going to mean big changes for the big cable companies unless they (governments) regulate that too! (Maybe they are, we don't have much for bandwidth here where I live.)

Bottom line is Bell, Rogers, Telus want to be the sole providers of TV and do away with anything that is free i.e OTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts