Charlie Steps Down

I see a new episode of Undercover Boss in the works. This Joe guy will visit Charlie and Jim who are cleaning toilets and polishing doorknobs in the corporate headquarters to save money for Dish customers and Charlie and Jim won't know who he is. Charlie will tell him a sob story and show him a picture of himself delivering a dish years ago, and then bore him to death showing Charlie Chats ad nauseum. At the end Joe gives Charlie and Jim billions of dollars and a Sirius XM portable radio to share and tells them to go on a permanent vacation. The next time we see Charlie and Jim they are on The Amazing Race as former billionaires. :D

I guess the question is who is in control of spending the money?

Is Joe just a puppet who reports to Charlie and does things the way Charlie wants them done, or does Joe have the power the spend money the way he wants to in the best intrest of the company?

I see a new episode of Undercover Boss in the works. This Joe guy will visit Charlie and Jim who are cleaning toilets and polishing doorknobs in the corporate headquarters to save money for Dish customers and Charlie and Jim won't know who he is. Charlie will tell him a sob story and show him a picture of himself delivering a dish years ago, and then bore him to death showing Charlie Chats ad nauseum. At the end Joe gives Charlie and Jim billions of dollars and a Sirius XM portable radio to share and tells them to go on a permanent vacation. The next time we see Charlie and Jim they are on The Amazing Race as former billionaires. :D
You should be a script writer for those shows. But I will never get to see them since those are 2 shows I almost never watch (had to watch some of Amazing Race when I worked for a CBS station & watched the 1 U B that had the directv guy on it). :)

From Q&A with Dish’s new CEO Joseph Clayton - Post Tech - The Washington Post :

"Posted at 01:49 PM ET, 05/16/2011
Q&A with Dish’s new CEO Joseph Clayton

By Cecilia Kang

Dish Network’s new chief executive, Joseph Clayton, comes to the satellite television provider amid great change. The Englewood, Colo.-based company has been on an acquisition spree, buying Blockbuster out of bankruptcy and a bunch of satellite spectrum through its purchase of Hughes Communications. The company is trying to position itself as a key distributor of video over the Internet to any device. And it wants to provide the broadband connections to deliver those shows too. Think Netflix combined with Time Warner Cable.
But lest you think the appointment of Clayton means the company’s leader, Charlie Ergen, is slowing down, think again. He’s just getting started, Clayton said.
Here’s an edited transcript of a phone interview this morning.

Q: You were appointed as new CEO of Dish to “deliver video entertainment into the future.” What will this future look like?
A: It’s a story that’s still evolving. For example, we only bought Blockbuster a few weeks ago and Hughes, which will add satellite and broadband capability a month ago. So we are rationalizing within our asset base with Echostar and Dish. And I’d be willing to bet that Charlie Ergen is not done yet. That was part of the rationale behind the announcement, for me to do the day to day and he’s got Mike Dugan at Echostar as CEO. That way he can concentrate on the strategic direction of what I’ll call the Ergen empire.

Q: So how involved with Charlie be?
A: Charlie Ergen was not going to go away. It’s not his nature. He’s the founder, chairman of the board, and the company’s largest shareholder. But he needs help. God can say grace over all the assets we currently have. He clearly needs help.

Q: What else is in his strategic plan?
A: I see an opportunity with Echostar and dish and new assets and potentially of a few more.

Q: What is the role of devices in this plan? Can we see Dish delivering on-demand streaming Blockbuster videos to the Xbox and mobile devices?
A: Consumer electronics will shape the future.

Q: How will people describe Dish in three years?
A: I think it would be leader in video, data, communications. With Hughes, we will have broadband capability so the future has to be about video and data.

Q: Do you think a future communications company has to have all these arms to their business – content, online distribution, broadband?
A: I believe so. Look at cable companies like Comcast. It’s not just in video anymore or in telecom, and how far we go and where we decide to specialize, that is what Charlie is putting together right now. That’s his grand vision.

Q: Tell me more about the Blockbuster strategy?
A: We only bought it weeks ago so I can’t say much but I’m excited about the opportunity it provides, especially from a branding standpoint. They have a distribution system – physical and digital systems – that is mainstream. As technology evolves and allows to be cost effective, we will find opportunity.

Q: How long have you been in talks with Dish?
A: He’s mentioned it since I joined Echostar’s board two years ago. But it asked me one week ago last Tuesday. I was intrigued and last Monday was in Denver. Charlie and I move real fast.

Q: How do you think your relationship with content providers will change with your new online distribution plans?
A: I’m the guy who hired Howard Stearn and got NFL onto Sirius Radio. I’m really comfortable with content and programming. As we evolve, those relationships will evolve as well. There is great opportunity for us and programmers, and both will profit.

By Cecilia Kang | 01:49 PM ET, 05/16/2011"

I hope Joe brings Howard Stern TV to Dish. His show is the only thing we miss from the cable service we use to have before joining Dish.

Is it really necessary that every CEO of DISH continues taking pages out of the Boss Hogg handbook? I'm half expecting the next announcement to be Bo and Luke Duke heading up strategic planning...

This really is not much different from the last time Charles vacated the CEO chair at Dish to split Echostar into Dish and Echostar. But the fair question is will things improve with Joe as CEO or will Charlie have to move things along so he can set things right if Dish declines while he's gone. Charlie will leave Joe alone so long as things go well at Dish, but if they don't, then he'll be a Rupert Murdoch with countless telephone calls all day trying to run things.

I think this will be good as it frees Charlie to put everything together for here in the US and continue the expansion in Mexico and India and the rest of Asia. Europe seems to be doing well as is.

Ergen NEVER likes to reveal the details of his plans. Being #2 in sat and #3 among MVPD's means the competition is ready to pounce on anything Chucky does, and he doesn't want them getting a head start on his plans. Believe me, I'm certain there were meetings at DirecTV about what Ergan is cobbling together and trying to figure out what he's doing (not too hard to figure that out) and what DirecTV feels they need to do about it, if anything, as they re-evaluate the situation with Dish's acquisitions.

SIRI all time high: $63.25 Quote at 2:02PM EDT today: $2.18

That's a pretty terrible recovery.

You also have to look at the quantity of outstanding shares.

If, at $63.25, there were 1 million shares, you'd have a company with a market cap of 63.25 million dollars.
If, at $2.18, there were 50 million shares, you'd have a company with a market cap of 100.9 million dollars.

Which is worth more. Sirius did a lot of share printing to raise capital. Much like Bernake is printing Federal Reserve Notes to "quantatively ease" the economy...

Things will not get any better as far as I know as long as Charlie is still around (ceo or not). Disney HD still will not be back. FUSE will still never be back. Same with MSG, SNY, GOLTV, etc. And anyone still have hope for MLB Network? Not happening. This is still Charlie's company and still Charlie's money. Until he sells DISH he will be the man in complete control.

Things will not get any better as far as I know as long as Charlie is still around (ceo or not). Disney HD still will not be back. FUSE will still never be back. Same with MSG, SNY, GOLTV, etc. And anyone still have hope for MLB Network? Not happening. This is still Charlie's company and still Charlie's money. Until he sells DISH he will be the man in complete control.

With the terms that Disney is wanting I don't want to see it back. When they come to reality that HD and SD are the same shows and only charge once then he should settle. Screw the over priced sports stuff too. Hold out Charlie don't give in to the pressure is what I say.

I hope Joe brings Howard Stern TV to Dish. His show is the only thing we miss from the cable service we use to have before joining Dish.

Not likely. InDemand is owned by a few cable companies and they're not interested in helping Satellite TV carry their native content. They could've offered this stuff on the Internet and to Satellite Carriers all this time (as Internet VOD).

Howard's actually touched on this within the last several months. He, too, was surprised. Doug Goodstein basically said what I've mentioned above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)