Chimney mount question for Dish?

not true

For everyone who claims any chimney mount is fine no problem when the LAST TIME you looked down at your chimney from above?​

I dont want to be a PIA but this is a serious hazard..........

because most folks dont go on their roof till theres a problem.

strap mounts were made for regular TV antennas that have little or no wind resistance.

whereas dishes act like a sail

Some of this is true but the strap mount I'm talking about was specifically designed for sat dishes with a special mount made just for the foot of DBS dishes. So would you understand that you have had problems with a bad mount on a chimney in the past and I'm telling about a mount that was designed to not do the things that you are talking about when mounting a dish. If you can't understand this we are to the point to agree to disagree. There has been another person that confirmed what I have said so please realize we are not atlking about the same kind of hardware. That what we are talking about was made to not damage the chimney.

Can you mount a dish on a chimney? Yes.
Is it a good idea? No

There are some chimneys that can take it... for a while.... but a masonry chimney really shouldn't have a dish on it. Mortar is sand and portland cement mixed with water. It's final durability is subject to being mixed and used correctly and also subject to whatever conditions existed as it cured. So you may or may not have a chimney that could withstand the lateral pressures of having a dish mounted on it. A massive chimney obviously has more mass to act as a stabilizing component. A standard, single flue chimney.... maybe not so much.

I was in construction a long time, and an inspector for 9 years.
Can it be done? yes.
Would i do it on MY house? Not a chance.... and I have a brand new masonry chimney done by a crew that I KNOW does high quality masonry work. Why would I want to screw that up? :)

Can you mount a dish on a chimney? Yes.
Is it a good idea? No

There are some chimneys that can take it... for a while.... but a masonry chimney really shouldn't have a dish on it. Mortar is sand and portland cement mixed with water. It's final durability is subject to being mixed and used correctly and also subject to whatever conditions existed as it cured. So you may or may not have a chimney that could withstand the lateral pressures of having a dish mounted on it. A massive chimney obviously has more mass to act as a stabilizing component. A standard, single flue chimney.... maybe not so much.

I was in construction a long time, and an inspector for 9 years.
Can it be done? yes.
Would i do it on MY house? Not a chance.... and I have a brand new masonry chimney done by a crew that I KNOW does high quality masonry work. Why would I want to screw that up? :)

THANKS for backing me up.

sadly I fear that many here dont understand the real risks of a chimney damaged by strapping a dish too it.........

carbon monoxide should be respected.

and far too few climb up and look down at their chimney cap........

which is the ONLY WAY to detect troubles

hello all
I was a technician working directly for dns for 5 yrs 1 week and 1 day. I now work for a rsp in wisconsin going on my 6th year in the business, without getting too cocky i have never installed a chimney strap mount and never will, because i never needed to. I have used pre-existing ones as the customer was very secure in their decision to reuse it and installed one for training purposes. My reasons for never using them, aside from the potential health hazard it may pose as discussed asllready, are several : 1. they aren't much use for any dish requiring struts 2. they can be dangerous to install, cuts from those straps hurt/ access to the chimney may be limited preventing safe install leading to falls from the ladder/roof. 3.there are so many other ways to mount the dish that it is typically an unthought about way of installing a dish to most installers. 4. i hate digging holes but i would rather do a pole mount before strapping one of those on any chimney(even my own). 5.they take up too much room in my truck :)
thats things from a tech perspective hope its of some assistance
p.s. tapcon mounting is not approved by dish any longer, it must be lag bolted using lead masonry anchors directly to the brick not in the mortar.

If I have my information correct, Dish is no longer allowing their technicians to go up on the roof of houses, due to a technician falling off one and breaking his arm.

If I have my information correct, Dish is no longer allowing their technicians to go up on the roof of houses, due to a technician falling off one and breaking his arm.
actually we had several people fall on a yearly basis across the country hurting more than their arm on several occasions and they are required to use a fall protection harness which requires an anchor lag bolted to the roof and then patched after removal again something that techs do not want to do so they will either only work from the ladder or hope they don't get caught on the roof.

That would certainly hurt business.

And: Teenagers find it simple to mess with a pole mounted dish. Not too many go up on a roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)