CNN and HLN gone/ Dish-Turner Dispute - Now Back 11/21

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I had always been told that with the genie, 5 tuners was max. You cannot add more than that, and it requires "genie minis"
Ya that's incorrect, I have a large family, we had originally 6 HD DVR's with whole home dvr, replaced 1 dvr with a HR44 genie, so now have 1 genie and 5 HD DVR's with 1 massive playlist.
With directv the fee is $6 per receivers, doesn't matter if genie, dvr, hd receivers, SD receiver or client. So I pay $30 in receiver fees for 6 rooms( first receiver free)

Yeah I saw that as well, but at a glance, over all since the outage, CNN is down a bit and MSNBC has a slight (kinda) bump since they are on channel 200. But I could be grasping at straws.

About 4 months ago, I didn't have a hopper either and was like some of you . I didn't see a need for one either. However, since I have gotten it, you would have to ply it from my cold dead hands to get me to give it up. I don't care if cable or DirecTV is $50 less a month. It is superior to anything out there that it is worth any extra money I would have to pay. Good thing is that I am not paying any more than I would for cable or DirecTV.

This has been my point to all the people complaining about Dish increasing prices and getting too expense but always forgetting to think that the competition is exactly the same. Why complain and switch when Dish is offering almost the same programming with superior equipment and all for a cheaper price!

Some people say I'm just waving my pom poms but I'm just trying to make a point. Your gripe isn't with Dish, it's with the pay TV industry. I'm not just defending Dish but I'm defending DirecTV and other providers as well. There is no sense in singling out one provider and making it seem like they are the problem.

^ Yep, and the majority of the problem lies with the content owners moreso than the MVPDs.

I have yet to hear one solution that any member has ever provided that could work. All I ever hear is want people want for a final outcome but no one knows how to reach that final outcome. I've had some ideas to fix the problem but I'm not sure they are realistic at all. I do run Dish or any provider so I have no idea what their exact expenses are or how tied their hands are when it comes to offering packages.

I've been saying for a long time that Dish would gain tons of new customers if they offered a small package with some of the most popular channels in it for around $40. Now I try to be a realist and I take into consideration that Dish also knows this and would love to offer this to it's customers but there are other factors stopping them from accomplishing it. It think too many people here think that Dish, or any provider, have complete control over how they offer their services and are just raking in money hand-over-fist.

I like your idea. I bet Dish would like your idea. But we are stuck with the majority of providers not willing to unbundle their channels. So how do we convince the providers to drop the all or nothing policy?

I like your idea. I bet Dish would like your idea. But we are stuck with the majority of providers not willing to unbundle their channels. So how do we convince the providers to drop the all or nothing policy?

That's the question we all should be asking instead of just yelling at the providers. I would think that Dish would love to offer a small package for an affordable price but their would have to be profit in it for them.

That's the question we all should be asking instead of just yelling at the providers. I would think that Dish would love to offer a small package for an affordable price but their would have to be profit in it for them.
What blows is that we are pretty much running through the big content deals now and in the recent past. So any "a la carte" fantasies are just that.

Can you break that down, I come up higher for Direct (106.99 for you 109.99 for me I would have an RSN fee of $3 added) and I see lower for DISH, $86 Top 200 and two VIP 612 DVR receivers)
Here's DirecTV's cost on 'Month 13': XTRA Base Package: $73.99. Hardware (One Genie, one mini Genie): $27.00. That's $101. Apparently, that doesn't include taxes.

Dish's Top 200 is $69.99. I'm still paying for HD, so that's an additional $10, plus $14 in hardware fees. I had forgotten I had gotten some PPV. So the total "normal" bill would be $94 (plus taxes). Hopefully I'll get the Free HD set up shortly, so that would knock the bill down to $85. So a $15/month savings. More substantial than what I had thought at first (I had just looked at the total of my latest Dish bill for comparison).

Reactions: Tampa8
This has been my point to all the people complaining about Dish increasing prices and getting too expense but always forgetting to think that the competition is exactly the same. Why complain and switch when Dish is offering almost the same programming with superior equipment and all for a cheaper price!

Some people say I'm just waving my pom poms but I'm just trying to make a point. Your gripe isn't with Dish, it's with the pay TV industry. I'm not just defending Dish but I'm defending DirecTV and other providers as well. There is no sense in singling out one provider and making it seem like they are the problem.
I have been a big supporter of dish since its inception, the little company that could, the low price leader.Sadly it gets harder every year to carry the same sentiment.My gripe with Dish, we fight to keep your prices lower, yet the prices now are very much inline with dtv.Dtv has a history of less channel pulls, offers Nfl Sunday ticket and Mlb extra innings, supposedly dish doesn't carry them because they simply cost too much.They don't carry any Ny rsns, because they cost too much.My way of thinking, Dish customers should see more than a paltry $3 to $7 saving over dtv.Bottomline to me, quit the posturing and either save us some real dough, or keep the channels on.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If a customer just went with a basic 2 room set up what would the difference be? What does DirecTV offer that is comparable to a 222k and the Top 120? Dish's price would only be $54.99.

Here's DirecTV's cost on 'Month 13': XTRA Base Package: $73.99. Hardware (One Genie, one mini Genie): $27.00. That's $101. Apparently, that doesn't include taxes.

Dish's Top 200 is $69.99. I'm still paying for HD, so that's an additional $10, plus $14 in hardware fees. I had forgotten I had gotten some PPV. So the total "normal" bill would be $94 (plus taxes). Hopefully I'll get the Free HD set up shortly, so that would knock the bill down to $85. So a $15/month savings. More substantial than what I had thought at first (I had just looked at the total of my latest Dish bill for comparison).

Appreciate your checking. I save about $19 a month with my package/equipment, for me Direct TV adds $3 for RSN's a month.

I have been a big supporter of dish since its inception, the little company that could, the low price leader.Sadly it gets harder every year to carry the same sentiment.My gripe with Dish, we fight to keep your prices lower, yet the prices now are very much inline with dtv.Dtv has a history of less channel pulls, offers Nfl Sunday ticket and Mlb extra innings, supposedly dish doesn't carry them because they simply cost too much.They don't carry any Ny rsns, because they cost too much.My way of thinking, Dish customers should see more than a paltry $3 to $7 saving over dtv.Bottomline to me, quit the posturing and either save us some real dough, or keep the channels on.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

False premise, I'd say way off. Comparing VIP to their HD DVR's there can be a $15 or more savings, not $2 or $3 dollars. I have always maintained if you don't have the latest technology, DISH is much less. As for the RSN's I indeed save $3 a month immediately over Direct TV because of their added RSN fee in my zip code.
I actually save around $19 a month with a two room (2) VIP HD two tuner set up and the Top 250, that's $228 a year, and that is very substantial. I don't know what Direct TV gives for discounts to long time customers or for other reasons, I generally get something from DISH, so I can't compare that aspect, but it could be even more of a savings.
I'll say it again, the DISH business plan it to compete with the new technology both in equipment and cost, but to beat others with the VIP series. And it's even better for someone who needs to pay even less if they have a 211K. (Though remember the 211 has one tuner)

I had dish in the past, I was very happy with them but they refused to carry my RSN so I had to go to directv. Directv maybe a little higher but if you absolutely need a channel dish won't carry you won't mind paying a little more.

Reactions: ChadT41 and Tampa8
supposedly dish doesn't carry them because they simply cost too much.
That is false, at least with NFL Sunday Ticket. It is an exclusive contract that DTV has with the NFL, which is why NO ONE else carries it.

If a customer just went with a basic 2 room set up what would the difference be? What does DirecTV offer that is comparable to a 222k and the Top 120? Dish's price would only be $54.99.

Looks like $70 before taxes, with equipment for Direct. Also their HD receiver can not be a DVR like the 211 can. DISH with equipment looks to be $61. $108 a year less and for a one time inexpensive cost you have a DVR. One room would be $180 less than Direct TV!

I had dish in the past, I was very happy with them but they refused to carry my RSN so I had to go to directv. Directv maybe a little higher but if you absolutely need a channel dish won't carry you won't mind paying a little more.

Mostly true. Direct doesn't carry every RSN, though most they do. And depending on your set up it can be a substantial savings with DISH. But if a carrier doesn't have channels you definitely want, I would agree pay more and use one that has those channels.

Reactions: ChadT41
My point for my last post was to show that Dish can still give plenty for a substantially cheaper price than the competition. I don't see many other providers offering a two room solution for any cheaper than Dish. If you want more TVs, HD, DVR and other bells and whistles then you need to pay more for it and somehow Dish still manages to come in slightly less.

Reactions: ChadT41 and Tampa8
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts