Did ya see the Toshiba Superbowl add. Should sell plenty of players!!!

Here is the NY Market it was the 2nd ad after the band finished performing on the halftime show. It was shown in hi def.

You musta been one of the lucky ones.

What a waste of money. How you gonna advertise an HD format in SD in a buncha markets :haha

I know they had to have planned this ad awhile back, WTF were they thinking?

You musta been one of the lucky ones.

What a waste of money. How you gonna advertise an HD format in SD in a buncha markets :haha

I know they had to have planned this ad awhile back, WTF were they thinking?
elwaylite at your best. Unsubscribed huh? You must still be mad at me for tearing the BD30 down to nothing.

elwaylite at your best. Unsubscribed huh? You must still be mad at me for tearing the BD30 down to nothing.

Nope, Im high on life, my BD30 upconverts with the best and the HD-DVD group paid 2.7 mil for an ad shown in SD in 35% of the country :haha

If you think blogger FUD has been bad lately, wait till Monday and the comments on this "BIG" ad.

I guess since I posted this thread in the was zone it was only a matter of time before the BD trolls chimed in with their comments.
Was this really a surprise for you?
They consult their spiritual leader Blu Shill Bill on issues like that... :D

Diogen.

Nope, Im high on life, my BD30 upconverts with the best and the HD-DVD group paid 2.7 mil for an ad shown in SD in 35% of the country :haha

If you think blogger FUD has been bad lately, wait till Monday and the comments on this "BIG" ad.
You may be high on life but to bad you can't hear the soundtracks on your hi def movies because the BD30 can't internally decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. Might as well be watching Charlie Chaplin.:haha

You may be high on life but to bad you can't hear the soundtracks on your hi def movies because the BD30 can't internally decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. Might as well be watching Charlie Chaplin.:haha

:sleeo

Saw the same commerical during Law & Order: SVU on USA between 11:00pm-12:00am EST tonight.

I did see the ad here in Southern Cal on the L.A. Fox network.

And yes, it was in SD and window boxed. I thought it was quite odd that they didn't show it in HD at the time.

Not sure if this ad was at the time I am thinking about but there was a series of several ads in a row that were SD and window boxed. At first I wondered if I had somehow switched the format on my setup or if someone had flipped a switch at the station. But when it went back to the Super Bowl it was back to full screen HD.

Now I am wondering if Fox might have sold this block of ads at some kind of discount rate.

They probably did something like buy the 10 largest markets. Cheaper than a national ad, but covers a good number of people.

i didnt see it during the superbowl however I must have saw it 4-5 times during the pregame. And on the ad i saw it stated coverts regular dvds to near hd quality.

I guess since I posted this thread in the was zone it was only a matter of time before the BD trolls chimed in with their comments.
:confused: Where are the trolls?

All I have read is alot of people didnt see it. I didnt either. I think we have established that it was not national.

You don't even understand the simple concept of "regional" vs. "national" advertising. Toshiba didn't pay $2.7mil. That is the price tag for a national ad. They paid each local market Fox affiliate that aired it individually.

On the one hand, a smart financial decision. Just hit the major markets. Maximize exposure per dollar spent.

OTOH, they end up with varying formats, some markets broadcasting it in SD. (Those stations may not have the capacity to air local content in HD, only able to rebroadcast network content in HD.)

I realize you have some weird emotional need to insult a DVD technical standard, which somehow makes you feel better about yourself. But, at least know what you are talking about before spewing off about stuff.

Who here expected you to say the ad was great??? I anticipated your predictable response way back when the ad was announce. Is that the best you can do. You kinda take the competative out of competative banter. Its no fun when I see your play 10 moves ahead.

I'm going to ignore the obvious and cheap tack here and leave your spelling and punctuation out of the equation... I'll just mention that I believe Elway was pointing out that OTHER people were also saying that the ad sucked.

Beyond that, I actually didn't think the ad was horrible, and it did mention "even your regular DVD collection looks great," which I guess was a quick way to fit in upconversion. Not one I would rank up there as a great SB commercial, though - more like something you'd see during a Saturday afternoon mid-level game on ESPNU or something...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)