Diffrence between dish and Dtv ondemand

qcjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Ohio
Title says it all. I cant find anything on this thats up to date. If someone can tell me or give me a link either way. Thanks for the time.

Both have programing that is no cost and programming that has a cost. As far as layout goes, the VIP receivers have a very different layout, if I remembers right, not very user friendly. Though the Hopper layout is very good for VOD, comparable to Direct I think a bit better

Do you happen to know if, like DTV, the On Demand for MGM has 1080p option to download--this is the only free 1080p programming you can get with DTV--if you are subscribed to MGM TV (HD Extra Pack), then the On Demand has movies that are mostly 1080p and free download--is this the same with DISH?

Thanks, Pat

Last edited:
It's a lot easier to find exactly what you want to watch on DIRECTV. Finding stuff on DISH is still a chore, so hard to use that I normally don't use it.

I agree after switching from Directv to Dish, very hard to find anything.
Why cant they make it like the Apple TV or Google TV which are super easy to me.

Do you happen to know if, like DTV, the On Demand for MGM has 1080p option to download--this is the only free 1080p programming you can get with DTV--if you are subscribed to MGM TV (HD Extra Pack), then the On Demand has movies that are mostly 1080p and free download--is this the same with DISH?

Thanks, Pat

Thanks for everyone's opinions--I am wondering if I can find someone who could actually try this out to answer my question--I doubt a CSR could help me, but maybe I will call and try,

but could someone who has the Hopper, go to the On Demand (if they are subscribed to Blockbuster which has MGM HD) section and try to either sort or filter by channel or by Movie and find an On-Demand Movie from MGM HD and find out 2 things:

1) Is it available to download in 1080p without extra cost?

2) Can it be downloaded via satellite rather than internet (bypassing my very slow rural internet)?

These 2 questions and answers would be extremely helpful as I make a decision to go with DISH for 2 years.

Thanks, Pat

You need to have an internet connection for On Demand. I can not access any of the Blockbuster selections for example on my one receiver not hooked to the internet. PPV and VOD do not need an internet connection. So if you are trying to avoid your slow internet connection, I believe you can only use PPV or VOD. And there are maybe two selections in 1080P.

It's a lot easier to find exactly what you want to watch on DIRECTV. Finding stuff on DISH is still a chore, so hard to use that I normally don't use it.

I agree after switching from Directv to Dish, very hard to find anything.
Why cant they make it like the Apple TV or Google TV which are super easy to me.
Are you guys using VIP or Hopper?

I find the Hopper OnDemand pretty easy to use. The VIP series is excruciatingly painful, though. They really need to fix that.

You need to have an internet connection for On Demand. I can not access any of the Blockbuster selections for example on my one receiver not hooked to the internet. PPV and VOD do not need an internet connection. So if you are trying to avoid your slow internet connection, I believe you can only use PPV or VOD. And there are maybe two selections in 1080P.

Yes, I would have Internet and use the Hopper--with Direct TV, there are a LOT of programs and channels under VOD, but they have to download via the internet, not via the Satellite. So just trying to see if the MGM HD from DISH includes the 1080p downloads?

I think you are combining two questions and may get the wrong answer. I can't check right now to see if Dish specifically has MGM HD in 1080P. But I can tell you the other question you are seem to be asking, I believe it will have to be downloaded on your slow internet, it is not available via VOD.
Hopefully someone else can verify this for you.
Is this the only reason you wouldn't switch to Dish?

I think you are combining two questions and may get the wrong answer. I can't check right now to see if Dish specifically has MGM HD in 1080P. But I can tell you the other question you are seem to be asking, I believe it will have to be downloaded on your slow internet, it is not available via VOD.
Hopefully someone else can verify this for you.
Is this the only reason you wouldn't switch to Dish?

Thanks--that helps--right now I can access MGM HD with Direct only via Internet--it's very slow, but it works and I can view 1080p without paying additional for VOD Cinema.

I don't think it can keep me from switching to DISH--I need to go into a local dealer and view the PQ of Dish on Hopper HD with Direct TV HD (Native pass through) on the same TV--to see if I can see a noticeable difference because Dish does not have Native Pass through EXCEPT for 1080p--thus the question on 1080p.

Thanks!

just to add to the confusion. dish has some content that is 'forced' to the receiver during off hours via satellite. It is the stuff that appears at channel 1 and 501. Occasionally there are 1080P selections there. To the best of my knowledge, 1080P is only available this way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts