Digital Bill says BDA working on olive branch

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Here's his "olive branch" ideas:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Given that, I think it would be wise at this point for the Blu-ray Disc Association and its member studios and manufacturers to make a peace offering of sorts to HD-DVD supporters. Warner and the rest of the BDA should make some kind of offer to HD-DVD enthusiasts that would allow them to exchange a few of their HD-DVD discs for Blu-ray versions of the same titles, or to provide some kind of additional discount on Blu-ray players to those who have purchased HD-DVD players prior to December 31st 2007, to help them migrate to Blu-ray more easily and painlessly. It would be a nice gesture. It's not like both camps aren't giving tons of free discs away already in "buy one get one free" offers. It might cost the BDA a little up front, but the goodwill it would generate among enthusiasts would be worth the expense, I think. It would be a nice way to welcome HD-DVD consumers into the Blu-ray fold, and it's a way to help put this format war foolishness - and the acrimony that it's inspired online - behind us. It's worth considering.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]

Here's the newer post after his conversation with the BD guys:

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *] One last note this evening: That idea I floated yesterday, that the BDA should offer an olive branch to HD-DVD consumers? I mentioned it to senior BDA executives this evening, and I think you can safely say that they're going to move forward with something along these very lines in the weeks ahead. We'll post more when we can, but the idea was definitely warmly received. In fact, plans are already in the works. We'll post more on this as things develop.[/FONT]

What about an olive branch to all the BD owners that don't have profile 1.1?

It will be interesting to see what kind of offer they come up with. 10 free discs if you smash your player?

Wouldn't that piss off all the 1.0 profile player owners...

Sure, I'll trade in my A2 for a nice profile 1.1 player or one for a severe discount on a Panny BD30 :)

No matter what, it will be interesting if they do come up with some sort of an offer or deal

What about an olive branch to all the BD owners that don't have profile 1.1?
They will be offered a trade-in for a compliant player.
The non-compliant ones will be offered as an "olive branch" to the HD crowd...:)

Everybody is happy...

Diogen.

laff, if they do a 1 for 1 trade on movies, I'll be cleaning up cause I'm buying many WB HD DVD's for about $7 (shipped) a disc right now on ebay and other forums. I got all 3 ocean's movies and The Aviator for $20 shipped.

Even HD DVD exclusives are being sold like crazy, many of them aren't even opened and I'm sure people could just take them back (heck I got the Kingdom, Heartbreak kid, Eastern promises and Zodiac today on ebay for $8 each, still sealed)

Im still amazed people are selling what they own. I can see not buying anymore, but geez. The players will be readily available for a loooooooooooooong time if the one you own craps out.

Im still amazed people are selling what they own. I can see not buying anymore, but geez. The players will be readily available for a loooooooooooooong time if the one you own craps out.

I am trying right now to secure a lot of HD-DVD titles from ebay. LoL, I have no problem taking advantage of this situation. :D

I am trying right now to secure a lot of HD-DVD titles from ebay. LoL, I have no problem taking advantage of this situation. :D

Ok, I am done buying for a while what's left is all yours! I got 37 movies coming that I paid a grand total of $278 shipped for

What's weird is some of the people still have players that they won't sell me. I was gonna try to score an extra A2 or something, but no one is selling for what I will pay! :) One guy I dealt with wanted $200 for his A2, but yet was selling a bundle of 8 movies for $30.

The hardest part now is finding bundles or movies I don't already have or have coming.

Just got my last deal. HD DVD of DVE for $6. WOOT!

Teamericson, no not all of them were un opened, a quick count and I think 19 of them are sealed, 7 I don't actually know and the rest are "open, viewed once or twice"

Either way, all were from established ebayers with good feedback and all had return policies if any movies was bad

Good grief, $6??

Funny. I can see not parting with the A2, I have not owned anything that upconverted better.

laff, if they do a 1 for 1 trade on movies, I'll be cleaning up cause I'm buying many WB HD DVD's for about $7 (shipped) a disc right now on ebay and other forums. I got all 3 ocean's movies and The Aviator for $20 shipped.

You got some deals, as my auction for Ocean's Giftset just ended and I got $59.87 for it, including shipping; $24.50 for Wyatt Earp. And no, I'm not selling any of my HD DVDs, I plan to enjoy them for many years to come. Warner Home Video, in their infinite wisdom, shipped me a half dozen HD DVD & BDs over the holidays from old, canceled orders. Never charged my CC, so off to eBay they go. :hungry:

Agree 100% I'm also still buying more; Zodiac shipped from Amazon today.

As to the OP, while the Format War might have changed, my opinion of Bill Hunt has not: He's a shill with a severely inflated ego and sense of self importance, and I could care less what he says or thinks.

Not all of these are ebay. Some are from the various forums that have buy/sell/trade areas

Ol Joe six pack does not care.
You keep sweeping BD shortcomings under the rug. First it was internet connection not needed. Now J6P doesn't care amongst other denials. Where does it end with you? Nauseating!!!

You went off on a rant that some others here never offer anything to the forum, well....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts