Holy Rant Bill Hunt!!

Yeah, he gets a little hyper.

But seriously, there's a lot of people with the perception that there's no way HD DVD can win now and Toshiba and Ken Graffeo are being sore losers.

If he so pasionate about ending the format war, maybe he should start talking to the BDA and convince them that BR still isn't a finished product, it isn't the consumer friendly format and if you have to buy your support from studios, then maybe Blu Ray should throw in the towel.

I don't think Toshiba and Ken are being sore losers. I think they are being very smart, act like you will continue your support until doomsday and look for the BDA to give you something (like a hugh payday or kickbacks) to finally toss in the towel. The real question is how long can Toshiba do this before their stockholders start to question the stragedy? Simple reason is that they are not making money discounting players from their current prices to almost half. Those HD-DVD players are not that cheap to manufacture and nobody is going to pay more money for a suped-up upconverting player. Sooner or later you have to shoot a horse that has lost the ablity to stand on its own legs.

I don't think Toshiba and Ken are being sore losers. I think they are being very smart, act like you will continue your support until doomsday and look for the BDA to give you something (like a hugh payday or kickbacks) to finally toss in the towel. The real question is how long can Toshiba do this before their stockholders start to question the stragedy? Simple reason is that they are not making money discounting players from their current prices to almost half. Those HD-DVD players are not that cheap to manufacture and nobody is going to pay more money for a suped-up upconverting player. Sooner or later you have to shoot a horse that has lost the ablity to stand on its own legs.

And none of the Bluray manufacterers are making money giving players away for free. How long do you think Sony and the others can do this before their stockholders start to question the stragedy? Sony and all others associated with Blu Ray has lost more blood than Toshiba and the others associated with HD DVD. (i.e. money lost on the PS3, not selling enough stand alones,
BOGOs, free players, disc manufacturing costs, and payola to studios).

Toshiba just wants people to keep buying their stuff until the end...some people are not going to be happy about it when the time comes.

Per profile 1.1("final profile"), BD is a "finished" product. BD Live or 2.0 is NOT a standard. Just because you feel lack of ethernet or whatever, means its unfinished does not matter very much. The BDA disagrees with you.

Toshiba just wants people to keep buying their stuff until the end....
Of course, they do. Is something wrong with that?

One advantage Toshiba has over Sony: it is not a studio.
Sony can't afford to lose for this very reason. If they did and eventually had to stop releasing their movies in BD,
they would have a lawsuit on their hands: Sony movies can't be played on Sony players.

So, one day (maybe not very soon) there won't be new movies on HD DVD. So what? What does Toshiba have to do with that?
Sue the studios... :)

...some people are not going to be happy about it when the time comes.
Why is that?
Why such discrimination?
According to Joe, early adopters are masochists knowingly paying more for a new product and expect to be f*cked anyway (BD profiles?).
Why doesn't this apply to HD DVD? And they spent only half as much as BD boys did...

Diogen.

Sony does the same thing you're blaming Toshiba of doing.. BETAMAX was supported for god knows how long.. those stupid minidiscs surived for ages.. again thanks to sony.. look at the absolutely rediculous UMD format.. sony is destined to continue that even though going with a cartridge or memory stick option would have been a far better call..

just remember the old phase "that's like the pot calling the kettle black"

Of course, they do. Is something wrong with that?

One advantage Toshiba has over Sony: it is not a studio.
Sony can't afford to lose for this very reason. If they did and eventually had to stop releasing their movies in BD,
they would have a lawsuit on their hands: Sony movies can't be played on Sony players.

So, one day (maybe not very soon) there won't be new movies on HD DVD. So what? What does Toshiba have to do with that?
Sue the studios... :)

Why is that?
Why such discrimination?
According to Joe, early adopters are masochists knowingly paying more for a new product and expect to be f*cked anyway (BD profiles?).
Why doesn't this apply to HD DVD? And they spent only half as much as BD boys did...

Diogen.

BD has a long life to live and studios backing them up, it means more movies our way, where Toshiba is coming to the end of the line.
I mean sell their current HD-DVD players and few months down the road they pull the plug and many people are screwed over.
Toshiba is misleading people by saying the war is not over, give me a good reason on why it isn't?
Don't tell me the few titles that the few releases from Paramount/Universal are keeping them alive, BD is outselling HD-DVD 85-15 last time I checked one of the charts that was posted on this forums.
It will be soon when BD outsells HD-DVD 95-5 lol.

BD still has several movies coming their way, where Toshiba is coming to the end of the line.
Right. Soon BD might be the only format that will have any new releases. I got the memo.

Will the $99 HD player stop working?
Will the HD movies you bought self-destruct?

I don't think so.

Diogen.

Right. Soon BD might be the only format that will have any new releases. I got the memo.

Will the $99 HD player stop working?
Will the HD movies you bought self-destruct?

I don't think so.

Diogen.

No, but what's your plan for 3-5 years from now when your HD DVD player starts skipping, refusing to play certain discs, etc. and eventually fails?

Do you really expect anyone to be around producing HD DVD players so you can buy a replacement and continue to enjoy your library?

Will you buy a backup HD DVD player and keep it boxed?

Will Toshiba have a line of over priced HD DVD/Blu-ray combo players like Pioneer did for Laserdisc/DVD?

No, my solution is much simpler and I have mentioned it at least a dozen times. I don't have a standalone, have no plans to ever get one.
I use an HTPC. With a dual format LG reader. HD movies can be backed up. Projector onto a 92" torus screen is my display.

The way God intended the movies to be watched... :)

Diogen.

No, my solution is much simpler and I have mentioned it at least a dozen time. I don't have a standalone, have no plans to ever get one.
I use an HTPC. With a dual format LG reader. HD movies can be backed up. Projector onto a 92" screen is my display.

The way God intended the movies to be watched... :)

Diogen.

Isn't true that dual formats are bad?
I don't own one, from what I understand is they lack each key feature of each formats... so the dual format is not completely perfected yet.

Isn't true that dual formats are bad?
I don't own one, from what I understand is they lack each key feature of each formats... so the dual format is not completely perfected yet.
HTPC is Home Theatre Personal Computer.
LG dual format reader is a PC drive.
NCIX.com - Buy LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY HD-DVD Reader BD-ROM 6X HD DVD-ROM 3X DVD+-RW 16X8X6 DL 4X Black SATA Software - GGC-H20L In Canada.
What can be done is limited by the software.
The software is better than most of the standalones.

Diogen.

...isn't something to do hardware instead of software?
The drive does nothing but a HDCP handshake to release the bits.
How they are handled is limited by the player software.

Until recently the only reliable HD/BD player PowerDVD could not send DTS-MA over HDMI. Now some claim it is solved
Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre - AVS Forum

I don't have a capable receiver and play the movies from the hard drive (except Die Hard 4 that uses BD+),
decoding the audio on the PC (all protection stripped from the disc).
In this case I can use any player I want (I use mostly ZoomPlayer).

Diogen.

It is people like Blu-Ray Bill who made it hard to even look at another format. Meaning "if THAT guy is in the club, than I don't want to be".

All of this because Tosh wouldn't give him a free A1.

I'd like to talk about movies again. That's what I want out of all of this.

It is people like Blu-Ray Bill who made it hard to even look at another format. Meaning "if THAT guy is in the club, than I don't want to be".

All of this because Tosh wouldn't give him a free A1.

I'd like to talk about movies again. That's what I want out of all of this.
I know. He is a childish little shill with a website.

Per profile 1.1("final profile"), BD is a "finished" product. BD Live or 2.0 is NOT a standard. Just because you feel lack of ethernet or whatever, means its unfinished does not matter very much. The BDA disagrees with you.

You are correct. However, there's no way Disney and Warner (and if they join up, Universal and Paramount) won't put BD Live out their discs. Lionsgate, Fox and Sony will likely do so as well. Paramount left Blu-Ray because they were dissatisfied with the lack of interactivity. Warner made it so clear they wanted PiP that they used the extra capacity of Blu-Ray to burn two copies into T3. Sony and Lionsgate? already released BD-Live discs. It may not be required of hardware manufacturers. (Why resist the chance to double dip? :mad: ) However, studios will not hesitate to deploy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts