Digital Bill says BDA working on olive branch

They will be offered a trade-in for a compliant player.
The non-compliant ones will be offered as an "olive branch" to the HD crowd...:)

Everybody is happy...

Diogen.
I have a feeling that when the Samsung BD-P1500 comes out I will instantly become dissastified with my BD-P1400 and costco will get it back.

I have a feeling that when the Samsung BD-P1500 comes out I will instantly become dissastified with my BD-P1400 and costco will get it back.

Costco has some great return policy right? Asking because I dont know, never used them.

Actually the person I was referring to actually never adds to any thread. I add about 75% of the time, the rest of the time I fit right on line with you and him.

That being said, you blow the profiles out of proportion thinking most of the world is like us when they ARENT. When arguing with a HDDVD fanboy, the best comeback is profile this profile that. When arguing with a BD fanboy you get BD50 BD50, audio track domination blah blah blah.

At the end of the day, the J6P (as you like to call them, i personally think the term is derogatory) majority does not care about a movie player that connects to the internet, does 1080p pip, has lossless audio/DTSMA. Only us early adopters care about some of that stuff. You guys let your passion for a feature overrun your judgment and you begin to believe everyone else wants it, knows how to use it, or even has the ability to use it.

People want cheap stuff, face it(which is why you needed to buy an OPPO to get a decent upconverting player. Major brands went cheapo). If the average guy walks into wally world and looks at a 2.0 player and all its features and its sitting there at $399 right next to a 1.0 player with all its "shortcomings" for $150, majority buys the $150.

Im a early adopter, I could care less about internet and interactivity.SHOCKER!!

When I make the statement that the average guy does not care, I think of all the people I know with an HDTV, HDDVR that have seen a BD movie and are considering a player. They dont have a CLUE about profiles and dont care either. Most dont even know about external storage on dvr's or online connectivity for dvrs. SHOCKER!!!

Get over the fact its not as important to others at it is to you. I bought my first BD player knowing that it was 1.0 and wouldn't have the options. Next plan was to buy a 1.1 down the road, but I started eyeing the ps3 and glad I did.

Costco has some great return policy right? Asking because I dont know, never used them.

Similar to what Best Buy offers with its PRP. I traded in my old Premium for a brand new Elite last year. (only paid 150 for the difference and a new PRP). Well worth the investment.

Man. Your able to "trade" it in?

Ive bought the plan at ccity and had something replaced (after it broke) with the newest model after a couple of years, but thats wild.

Man. Your able to "trade" it in?

Ive bought the plan at ccity and had something replaced (after it broke) with the newest model after a couple of years, but thats wild.

yeah the PRPs are no questions asked, Some Best buys make you wait for a gift card in the amount of the purchase, But mine has always just traded in. :D

yeah the PRPs are no questions asked, Some Best buys make you wait for a gift card in the amount of the purchase, But mine has always just traded in. :D

Not that I don't believe you, but where does it state this in the plan? I can't find the verbage. I'm all over one of these on my next big purchase if this applies to most items

Not that I don't believe you, but where does it state this in the plan? I can't find the verbage. I'm all over one of these on my next big purchase if this applies to most items

Not sure, I could go dig mine out if you want. I just know that they always promise it when they ring it up at the register. :D

Id figure youd have to at least act like it was broke :D

The only thing they ever check is MP3 screens. For some reason they will never replace or refund if the screen is broken. *shrug*.

(maybe to many Ipod/zune returns? )

Im a early adopter, I could care less about internet and interactivity.SHOCKER!!
LOL. I have to agree with this. I'd much prefer seeing the Linux command line on my A2 than having to wade through all the dancing turtles of the interactive menus. I could start the movie in 1/20 the time it currently takes. Internet? The LAST thing I'd ever consider is doing a firmware upgrade over a live internet connection. Firmware upgrades can be perilous all by themselves. You don't need to throw in the added uncertainty of a flakey internet connection. When I upgraded my A2, I upgraded from a burned CD, and also had the A2 running off a UPS so I wouldn't lose power in the middle of the deal. Of course the average user doesn't even know what a firmware upgrade is, so they wouldn't understand the potential pitfalls, and a simple internet upgrade is maybe good for them. Right up until it fails halfway complete, that is.

Good point. Average guy will ask "what is firmware?" when he opens his new movie and it states to have the newest.

Im still amazed people are selling what they own. I can see not buying anymore, but geez. The players will be readily available for a loooooooooooooong time if the one you own craps out.

I sold mine at a profit (averaged 10 - 15 each, purchased many during B1G1 with coupons, gift certs, and on ebay) and also sold things such as my $19.99 matrix set for $50 so in the end I did it to make money instead of eventually taking a loss. Wihle I'll miss some of my exclusives such as Transformers, Hot Fuzz, and Eastern Promises I have a feeling they'll be coming soon enough that I won't miss em too much. I sold my $99 A2 for $90 shipped so only took a slight loss there as well. I find it funny that people were selling so cheap when on ebay they are still going for $10-$15 each with some titles still getting more.

This is no olive branch, IMO. Its another payoff in essence to end the war, this one right to the customer instead of the studio, meant convince Paramount and Universal and Toshiba to give up. It will encourage more HD DVDers not to stick out the war. Of course Bill *unt calls it an olive branch I would equate it to one side drooping flyers from the sky offering amnesty to all of the opposing forces soldiers after losing one battle. Comeon over and give up the fight. OSU should have tried it last night after the 10 point lead. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Costco's return policy.

"Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

Peaking of OSU and LSU. People love to argue about SEC speed and Big 10 speed. They really should be concerned with SEC scoring ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts