Diplexor must be installed because of powered antenna? (Depends on antenna model)

theph0xx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2004
I'm actually getting my installation right now and the installer says (after agreeing to not install the diplexer and run 2 lines) that he remembered that it is not possible without the diplexor because vooms ota antenna must be powered. he says it gets its power from the stb. am i right that this is a crock of bs? doesnt the antenna get its power from the stb from some separate input on the box itself?

EDIT: MOD plz move this... i posted in the wrong section by accident!

Moderator Note: In summary of this long thread, if the antenna installed is the Winegard GS-2000(SR-2190) the diplexer is needed in order to provide amplification from the Voom STB to the antenna. Voom installers are receiving this antenna without the 117 VAC power supply. Unless the power supply is purchased and connected to the OTA line, removing the diplexer and running two lines, one for SAT and one for OTA, could result in reduced OTA reception.

diplexor must be installed because of powered antenna?

I'm actually getting my installation right now and the installer says (after agreeing to not install the diplexer and run 2 lines) that he remembered that it is not possible without the diplexor because vooms ota antenna must be powered. he says it gets its power from the stb. am i right that this is a crock of bs? doesnt the antenna get its power from the stb from some separate input on the box itself?

its a crock of bull, because my diplexor never did work, the only way i get my local channels to come in is to run one line from the ota and another from the sat, then to an a/b switch otherwise if i hook the ota cable to the stb or the diplexor i get nothing from the ota.

theph0xx said:
The antenna comes with a power inserter that should be used when diplexer is not installed. The antenna amplifier does not take power from the STB.

See here.

it was my understanding tho that there were 2 inputs on the STB... one for the OTA... one for the Sat line...

thats what i thought... at this point tho i dont think i can turn back... im hoping there is no problem.... i really dont want to argue with this guy... what are my options once he leaves?

I'm using the Stealth without the power inserter on my PC and getting a great picture.

Ask him if the power inserter was included in the package. You will need that.

Of course if you are close to the towers you could do without the amplifier too.

it depends on which off air antenna you are getting ...if you are getting the stealth then it comes with a seperate power inserter ...if you are getting the winegard sensar antenna then it must use the diplexor to get power from the stb because no seperate power supply is included

I think this is true now because they are no longer installing the stealth by default. I don't know off hand what model it was but I do know it isn't the Stealth. My installer came out on Mionday to fix a diplexor issue I had and we chatted about that for quite some time. I know, I know installers are normally as reliable as CSR's but we were also talking about this forum.

This is the same responese I posted in the Programming area...nice move thephOxx

I concur with jellison1

I think this is true now because they are no longer installing the stealth by default. I don't know off hand what model it was but I do know it isn't the Stealth. My installer came out on Mionday to fix a diplexor issue I had and we chatted about that for quite some time. I know, I know installers are normally as reliable as CSR's but we were also talking about this forum.

thx for the quik responses everyone... it seems as tho he didnt installed the regular steal attenna... this was a channelmaster correct? im pretty sure he installed a wineguard of some sorts...

either way all my X.1 locals are coming in and im on the old software... can i reasonably expact that the X.2's will come in once the new software is downloaded? or is it unrelated?

jellison1 and your installer are right.

The new Sensar II antenna REQUIRES to be connected to the power-passive combiner/diplexer, they are not shipped with any external power supply. No if's or butt's. No big deal, it works just fine. Let the installer do his job. You didn't get to tell the guy/company who put together your new HD TV how to build it did you?
If it doesn't work then call VOOM for an upgrade.

theph0xx said:
thx for the quik responses everyone... it seems as tho he didnt installed the regular steal attenna... this was a channelmaster correct? im pretty sure he installed a wineguard of some sorts...

either way all my X.1 locals are coming in and im on the old software... can i reasonably expact that the X.2's will come in once the new software is downloaded? or is it unrelated?

what are th X.2's?

wasch_24 said:
If the X.2's are the sub channels associated with your his locals....they will only have programming if the local broadcaster is broadcasting anything on them.

Ok. He'll have to wait and see...

kindof off topic, but two of my locals have .2 subchannels in the PG, that are the same program info as the .1 of the opposite channel. But neither channel is actually there... I can't wait for the upgrade so I can remove these mappings.

sat4me said:
jellison1 and your installer are right.

The new Sensar II antenna REQUIRES to be connected to the power-passive combiner/diplexer, they are not shipped with any external power supply.
I don't know how exactly VOOM ships these items, but according to Winegard's web site Winegard’s Sensar II (GS2000A) Includes a 117 VAC power supply:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts