Diplexor must be installed because of powered antenna? (Depends on antenna model)

I think we should put our emotions away before the topic gets out of hand. I believe that both of you guys have good points that been addressed in this thread one way or another. We can only judge based on what other posts and we can rationalize what is happening. Given that we have made the efforts of having people stay away from the diplexor. But, it might have being premature on our part to do so, but there was a reason to do so.

I think we are all mature individuals and can address each other without the emotions that drive us to write certain sentences that come out too strong. Let's respect everyone's opinion and let's keep doing the good things that this thread is all about. When we stay away from this, the thread becomes not so user friendly. :) Guys, lets move on and keep focus on topic. There are lot of people that need good information on this thread and don't want to go through other things that are non-related.

Thank you...

sat4me said:
Ilya, Sorry if you are offended. It wasn't directed to you or any one specifically. Did you read the original post that this was in reply to?
Did you read "madpoets" post telling me to "stuff-it'? What was that for?
I guess, I haven’t followed this thread too closely over the past couple of days, and didn’t see what prompted your latest comments. My apologies.

Madpoet’s remark was certainly inappropriate. Personal attacks are unacceptable whether we agree on the subject matter or not.

We all have the same goal here of helping each other, and learning from each other. We are all doing our best in trying to find all the facts and to get all the questions answered.

I personally thank you, sat4me, for your contribution to this forum. As I said before, it's great to have professional installers on this forum. There is a lot we all can learn from your experience and your knowledge. Which certainly doesn’t mean that we have to agree with every word you say, or that we can’t question your conclusions. Let’s keep intelligent discussion, and the result will benefit us all. I hope everyone will agree with that...

While you guys were arguing, I lost track of the discussion, which is how to do diplexors. My install guy said "You don't get channels here anyway" and just gave me some stuff off the truck "in case you can get channels some day."

I think I probably can get some channels, but I don't understand at all how to use one cable to begin with! The Voom LNB has a line, and the Winegard has a line. I have the Motorola diplexor stuck on the back of the Voom receiver, allowing me one cable input. I have what I believe to be a Winegard 2000A antenna.

So, how do I combine the two signals into one cable so they can go into the Motorola diplexor? I have a ChannelMaster Model 4032IFD "Dual High Performance Diplexor." It says SAT 90-2150 MHz, VHF/UHF 54-806 MHz.

It has two sets of inputs. One has LNB-A combining with VHF/UHF IN via a "Caution-DC Pass" to an outlet called "SatA-UHF/VHF."

I have a "TRUNKKLINE" 35-TRDX-50 40-2150 MHz Diplexer with a Sat connection, an ANT connection, and an IN/OUT connection.

If there is a combiner or diplexer that has to take place BEFORE running a line into the Motorola diplexor on the Voom Box, what electrical characteristics does it need. I tried running the TRUNKLINE unit mentioned above and got good VOOM but no OTA.

I think there must be a combiner BEFORE the diplexer. Does it have to have any electrical characteristics? Can anybody help? Thanks.

Mine is run like this.
I have two cables running from the dish and one cable from the Winegard OTA antenna. All three of these enter the diplexor close to the dish. This diplexor should have three inputs and two outputs. Then one of the two outputs goes to each of my two sat boxes. There is another diplexor box attached to the back of the STB. The single cable plugs in there and gets "un-diplexed" so the OTA signal and the sat signal reach their respective jacks. There is also a model of diplexor that looks like a standard one-in-two-out cable splitter. it is marked very clearly that the diplexed signal is the in and it shows which line goes out to the OTA and which goes to the Sat on the box. I actually have one of each, the clip on box for the HDTV and the external splitter type for the SDTV. It just happened to work out that way. i don't see a difference either way.
HTH

jose44 said:
The Voom LNB has a line, and the Winegard has a line.
Do you mean you have two cables coming to the room or just one? And how many STBs do you have?
Let' s assume (the way I understood you) that you have one STB and have two cable lines already coming in: one from the antenna, another one from the LNB. Well, you have two options:

1. You can simply remove the diplexer from the back of your STB and connect both lines directly. However, since you have an amplified antenna you will need to buy a power inserter (power supply), e.g. Winegard PS-9370 (around $20).

2. Or, you can install a diplexer. I’ll let someone else walk you through this one ;)

jose44 said:
While you guys were arguing, I lost track of the discussion, which is how to do diplexors. My install guy said "You don't get channels here anyway" and just gave me some stuff off the truck "in case you can get channels some day."

I think I probably can get some channels, but I don't understand at all how to use one cable to begin with! The Voom LNB has a line, and the Winegard has a line. I have the Motorola diplexor stuck on the back of the Voom receiver, allowing me one cable input. I have what I believe to be a Winegard 2000A antenna.

So, how do I combine the two signals into one cable so they can go into the Motorola diplexor? I have a ChannelMaster Model 4032IFD "Dual High Performance Diplexor." It says SAT 90-2150 MHz, VHF/UHF 54-806 MHz.

It has two sets of inputs. One has LNB-A combining with VHF/UHF IN via a "Caution-DC Pass" to an outlet called "SatA-UHF/VHF."

I have a "TRUNKKLINE" 35-TRDX-50 40-2150 MHz Diplexer with a Sat connection, an ANT connection, and an IN/OUT connection.

If there is a combiner or diplexer that has to take place BEFORE running a line into the Motorola diplexor on the Voom Box, what electrical characteristics does it need. I tried running the TRUNKLINE unit mentioned above and got good VOOM but no OTA.

I think there must be a combiner BEFORE the diplexer. Does it have to have any electrical characteristics? Can anybody help? Thanks.
Jose44,
If you have two Voom STBs then the Channel Master 4032IFD should be what you need. It seems that each of the cables coming from the LNB enter the diplexer on the outside ports on the side that has three inputs (LNB A and LNB B) and the antenna into the middle input. You will then need a multi-switch, which is what the Trunkline probably is but I am lacking the knowledge needed to help in that department.

If you only have one Voom STB then it may not be a good idea to use the 40312IFD because there will be an empty input (LNB B) which is trying to pass voltage to nothing. You will need the Channel Master 4012IFD which only has one input for the satellite LNB cable.

This is the website that I got the attached pictures from. This will help you figure out how much it will cost if you don't want to wait for the installer to come back and install it.

To verify whether or not he was correct in his "expert" evaluation of your ability to receive any digital channels go to www.antennaweb.org . Once there enter your address and select only digital stations to see how far away they are and in what direction.

Attachments

• diplex-1STB.jpg
    diplex-1STB.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 195
  • diplex-2STB.jpg
    diplex-2STB.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 193
Wiring Diagram for 3 or more Receivers with Sensar OTA

Attached is how ALL VOOM multiswitched multiple STB installs need to be done for now until VOOM ships a multiswitch that passes power.

This is the ONLY way this can work, make sure to show this to your installer or service person. The only other way is to use separate OTA lines, with a single-port power passive 4-way splitter and WINEGARD power supply, which is NOT supplied by the installer or VOOM.

this config. really works and although it looks way complicated, it DOES allow power to pass to the Sensar.
The installer will need the Winegard OUTDOOR DUAL diplexer/combiner, a STANDARD single-port power diplexer, and a STANDARD multiswitch.
If your installer doesn't do it this way exactly, it WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!! >>>The standard multiswitches do not PASS power through the ANT in/out.

Attachments

• VOOM_2-4_RM_MSW_DIAGRAM.pdf
    30.8 KB · Views: 304
I have the winegard antenna, not sure which one but the installer is going to come install it later since he didn't have time to today. He said he would have to run two wires to the cable box in order for me to recieve ota, I was wondering if it would be possible for him to just install a diplexor on the antenna instead of running another cable all the way to my cable box, seems like it would do the same thing, or am I missing something. Thanks.

dailo said:
I have the winegard antenna, not sure which one but the installer is going to come install it later since he didn't have time to today. He said he would have to run two wires to the cable box in order for me to recieve ota, I was wondering if it would be possible for him to just install a diplexor on the antenna instead of running another cable all the way to my cable box, seems like it would do the same thing, or am I missing something. Thanks.
With the stock Winegard (GS-2000a SensarII) he will have to use a diplexer that passes DC power to both the antenna and the SAT dish.
41020.jpg

If he runs a seperate line he will need the power supply for that antenna.

Winegard Antenna

Will rotaing that antenna possibly improve reception? All my DC stations are strong, but I'd like to get MPT out of Annapolis. It's giving me a 68 ota signal, so I just need a little bit more. Also, Is there any more amplification that I can do?

Wasch 24 - please Chime in since you have the same antenna.

FrankJo said:
Will rotaing that antenna possibly improve reception? All my DC stations are strong, but I'd like to get MPT out of Annapolis. It's giving me a 68 ota signal, so I just need a little bit more. Also, Is there any more amplification that I can do?

Wasch 24 - please Chime in since you have the same antenna.
Yes, moving/rotating the antenna will help. I have the Winegard PR-8800 and I faintly picked up quite a few RF's that wouldn't quite lock but I don't realy feel like getting a rotor. Not yet anyway.

Has anyone tried hooking the cable TV coax into the Voom receiver's OTA input? I have expanded basic cable running to all my SD TV's.

sat4me said:
That doesn't happen. Multiswitches have nothing to do with what channel mix-up appears on your STB. That's a software issue if you are having that problem.
If a multiswitch fails, you will usually only have access to either odd or even transponders, and their coresponding channels. Diplexers don't/can't cause any problems with voltage switching, so don't go there with diplexers as a cause for a mixed-up channel display.

Why do you and others want to 'blame" diplexers for problems that for the most part MAY NOT be diplexer related?

Did a service call the other day , the problem was some of the channels were not showing up as the right call numbers. Replaced the multiswitch and all the channels were back as the right channel numbers.

theph0xx said:
I'm actually getting my installation right now and the installer says (after agreeing to not install the diplexer and run 2 lines) that he remembered that it is not possible without the diplexor because vooms ota antenna must be powered. he says it gets its power from the stb. am i right that this is a crock of bs? doesnt the antenna get its power from the stb from some separate input on the box itself?

EDIT: MOD plz move this... i posted in the wrong section by accident!

Moderator Note: In summary of this long thread, if the antenna installed is the Winegard GS-2000(SR-2190) the diplexer is needed in order to provide amplification from the Voom STB to the antenna. Voom installers are receiving this antenna without the 117 VAC power supply. Unless the power supply is purchased and connected to the OTA line, removing the diplexer and running two lines, one for SAT and one for OTA, could result in reduced OTA reception.

I must disagree. When the Installer installed my system...he used the
diplexor (which is the small box attached to the back if the STB) I received
no OTA channels. One day while channel surfing I got a glimpse of NBC, which led me to believe OTA is possible. I've worked in the anntena field
for 17+ years, so I climbed on the roof to discover my OTA needed to be
located higher to clear the roof. Called Voom...installer came...complained
it would do no good....I went to the roof with him, installed antenna higher,
removed the diplexor (which is the small box attached to the back if the STB), ranned the cables from each antenna to the STB separately WITHOUT
the diplexor....I allowed him to do the honors, and...BOO-YOW...OTA......
but couldn't receive all channels, 24 out of 40....hmmm...let's upgrade
the antenna. Purchased DB8 with amp from antennas direct.com...installed it by modifying the old Stealth mount.....And I've never looked back.......37 out of 40.....just like Adelphia....except HD on major channels...couldn't be happier......I'm 62+ miles from LA tower in mountainous California.

Trash the diplexor (which is the small box attached to the back if the STB).
The other piece with the AC plug connected is the Power Inserter, does power your OTA antenna amplifer, you will need that.....The diplexor allows the installer to run two cables down to one, its not needed...Signal strength is greater without it.

The small box attached to the back of the STB is one of two pieces required when diplexing.
dipl_installed.jpg

The second piece is the one that initally combines the two signals.
diplexer.jpg

Not everyone recieves a power inserter.

wasch_24 said:
The small box attached to the back of the STB is one of two pieces required when diplexing.
dipl_installed.jpg

The second piece is the one that initally combines the two signals.
diplexer.jpg

Not everyone recieves a power inserter.

Those are both diplexers; you'll only need one. How do you get power to
your OTA amplifer? I'm only using the power inserter to power up the
amplifier in my OTA antenna. No diplexer; the cables are connected directly
to the Sat connection from the Voom dish; and from the OTA, to the inserter, out the inserter, to the Ant connection at the STB.

Why no Power Inserter?

Jahbig said:
Those are both diplexers; you'll only need one. How do you get power to
your OTA amplifer? I'm only using the power inserter to power up the
amplifier in my OTA antenna. No diplexer; the cables are connected directly
to the Sat connection from the Voom dish; and from the OTA, to the inserter, out the inserter, to the Ant connection at the STB.
You cannot only use one. It's only both or neither. When using diplexers the DC voltage used to power the SAT dish is passed to both the dish and the antenna if the second diplexer (the one that is not connected to the STB) allows the power to pass through. Some diplexers do this and others only allow the power to pass to the dish.

There is no power inserter supplied to save money (just a guess). If the installer uses a diplexer that allows the DC power to pass to the antenna it is the same thing as attaching a power inserter to the OTA cable. as long as the antenna is a powered antenna. If not then a diplexer that blocks the DC voltage from the antenna is required.

Not everyone has the ability to run two seperate lines, one for OTA and one for SAT, into their home. That is why they use diplexers.

wasch_24 said:
You cannot only use one. It's only both or neither. When using diplexers the DC voltage used to power the SAT dish is passed to both the dish and the antenna if the second diplexer (the one that is not connected to the STB) allows the power to pass through. Some diplexers do this and others only allow the power to pass to the dish.

There is no power inserter supplied to save money (just a guess). If the installer uses a diplexer that allows the DC power to pass to the antenna it is the same thing as attaching a power inserter to the OTA cable.

wasch_24 said:

There is no power inserter supplied to save money (just a guess). If the installer uses a diplexer that allows the DC power to pass to the antenna it is the same thing as attaching a power inserter to the OTA cable. as long as the antenna is a powered antenna. If not then a diplexer that blocks the DC voltage from the antenna is required.

Not everyone has the ability to run two seperate lines, one for OTA and one for SAT, into their home. That is why they use diplexers.

I stand corrected; You MUST use Two diplexers are None. My installer used both; the diplexorS and the power inserter. When I ask him to remove the
diplexerS and run each cable separately, OTA signal shot up, channels
stablized and PQ increased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts