DirecTV-2-PC Public Beta

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just downloaded it and did the advisor and my graphics card fails because I have a Nvidia 6150Se not a 7600 or above. Doe that mean I cant even try this out or use the program??

Mine fails too but it works after disabling my second display. So the answer is yes.

Well then they created a product that will be used maninly by the geek community, those like yourself and not the average customer. I love geeks as yourself talking about graphic cards specs, etc... the average consumer wants to know that they can install a program on their PC and it works... not fiddle around with cards etc... this is why i dumped PC gaming.. it became a nightmare. This should be able to work on virtually any newer PC. There's a way to do it.. just like there's a way to build a HD-DVR thats doesnt perform sluggishly. DirecTV, go back to the drawing board.

So he's right then, you have an integrated graphics card?

Interestingly I have monitors and video cards that are and are not HDCP. Playback works on both . The only thing I have not tried in PPV.

HD playback on the non-HDCP machine is poor but that's because I don't have an hardware MPEG decoder on that machine or a monster processor to make up for it.

Now only if it supported dual monitors I could actually use this program on my main machine.

Now only if it supported dual monitors I could actually use this program on my main machine.

That's the deal breaker for me too. It was a a fun academic experience while it lasted but right now it is just wasting hard drive space. Maybe D* is going some place useful for this but for now it has little utility that I can see.

I imagine it is a little user hostile to a lot of subscribers too but they probably blissfully don't even know about it.

The next big issue is an HDCP display and so far the jury here is out here on whether that is really required for DirecTV2PC.

HDCP is only required if you're going to a digital output. Analog VGA works just fine, but I think it causes some content to be downrezed to 960x540 to comply with Hollywood.

I downloaded yesterday and it found my box, but when I click play it just sits there. No traffic on the network that I can see, and I end up having to end it with the three finger salute. I do have dual monitors. Is there a bug reporting system for it anywhere?

If I ever get my second key, I'll install it on my wifes computer and see how it works over there. It should be plenty enough to handle it.

It ran great for me, only problem I had was I was playing World of Warcraft at the same time, and playing something was a near instant-disconnect from the game. Not sure it's my computer or my network, and will have to tinker with it some more to identify the cause.

HDCP is only required if you're going to a digital output. Analog VGA works just fine, but I think it causes some content to be downrezed to 960x540 to comply with Hollywood.

That doesn't seem to be the case. I have a pair of 22" LCD's one with HDCP and one without. Both are connected with a DVI cable and they work fine. It's not downrezing the video. It doesn't seem to use HDCP, or at least in this build.

The program starts up fine, but when I click on play to watch something, it gets an access violation in clnetshow.dll.

XP with the latest service pack and drivers. nVidia 8800 GTX.

One thing - I wish the HR2x menus looked as nice on my TV as they do through the software! Smooth as silk...

Question?

It is working for me although I don't have the right video card to stream it smoothly.

My question is though the only access I am getting is the programs I have recorded already.

Is this all we have access to stream?

Someone also mentioned you could use Vista Windows Media also...How does that work?

It worked on both my HR20 and HR21 until the latest software update. Now I can no longer see the HR21. :(

I'm pretty happy with this. You can actually watch close to live TV if you hit record in your guide. As soon as you do that the program becomes available in your playlist and you can watch it through directv-2-pc on your computer.

Works great for me and I installed it on two computers.

I have a dual core proc, 2 gigs memory and Radeon x800 video card in one computer. At first I couldn't get any video, so I downloaded the latest ATI driver and it works flawlessly now. Smooth video even on HD. I am very satisfied with it.

The second computer is a Celeron (single proc), 1 gig memory and only integrated video. Same problem. I had to download the latest display driver first. But it streams SD programs really well and it can do HD, but it hiccups a bit (but still watchable)

btw, neither computer passed the playback advisor test.

I think the main thing is to have enough memory. Make sure your computer is clean (I always get rid of all the junk that automatically runs at start up) and update your display drivers.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have to disable my software firewall (Kerio) when I use it.

Please remember, if you download, install, and have reasonable issues, please report them here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...-forum/152090-directv2pc-issues-feedback.html

Please don't bother with issue posts if your computer is clearly the issue, meaning your graphics card or processor have no business decoding high definition video.

Remember, for many that complained above, the computer is actually DECODING the MPEG2 or MPEG4 video. That takes a lot more horsepower than just sending a video stream, such as with xbox, playstation, or media player.

This is a duplicate post in this thread until it gets merged with the official thread.

Again, it should be noted (MAYBE AS A STICKY) that a PC or laptops build/speed is not the sole determining factor or the performance of this application. Ones network and running background services and processes also need to be scrutinized.

It apps like these that point out exactly why I think DBS companies should stick with just that, DBS; there are too many factors outside of their control; too many per user variables that are really not in their wheel-house to correct or worry about. Too many things for the lay-user to figure out that they have no idea what they are doing and expect their DBS company to do it because now their name is on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts