Directv dispute with Viacom IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
email to CEO Phillippe Dauman...Thank you so much Amy Walker for providing the email address (philippe.p.dauman@viacom.com)

Dear Mr. Dauman

I am emailing you because I along with several others feel your corporation has gone too far in the quest for the almighty dollar. Your company reported a 24% increase in profits 11% coming from television programming. Your salary is reported to be 43 million dollars a year. When is enough enough? You and your company are alienating your customers. It has been reported that your programming covers 20% of all television viewing...what is your plan when that number drops? How will you handle public backlash and outrage towards your company? How much profit must you lose before you realize your "demographics" are people and not dollar signs?

Change your ways or lose your business. Its up to you. Do not prattle on about Direct TV and a few pennies a day as none of us feel your excuses for extorting money are valid. Also your companies strong arm tactics and propaganda fueled ads are deplorable and are alienating fans left and right.

I do not expect a direct response (Although it would be nice) but I do expect you to heed my warning, Continue with your greedy ways and suffer a loss in profits.

Nicole Ferrier This is an e-mail from Nicole on Vicoms greed she sent to the CEO of Viacom

Heres another where she called Viacom and posed as a reporter and see what Viacom said ... I just posed as a reporter for the SVG gazette. I asked the agent if she could confirm last years rise in profits $535 million, up 24 percent from $430 million in the year-ago period. Analysts had on average projected earnings of $488.7 million she laughed and stated I did my homework but did not answer the question. She went on to tell me the same tired crap they are spewing on direct tv.

I stated that Viacom's tv network profits rose 11% raking in $893 million and that the CEO was reported to have a 43 million dollar paycheck.

I asked with those numbers why is it necessary to raise rates with their network providers.

Her answer was that direct tv has not raised their rates with Viacom in 7 years and that its only fair Viacom get a bigger cut.

I then quoted CEO Philippe Dauman "In the second quarter, Viacom continued its steady growth and delivered notably higher profitability, driven by relentless investment in our exceptional brands, and an ongoing focus on operational excellence,"

I asked with the profits so clearly on the rise why they felt the need to extract more money.

Her answer was the same. Viacom feels a few pennies a day was not too much to ask.

Here is the math on that one we will say 3 pennies a day 30 million customers x 365 = 1.17 billion dollars. (if my calculator is correct...)

When asked about the adverse reaction Viacom is receiving from its viewers she tried to deflect the blame on to Direct TV. When I pointed out various facebook pages and tweets are placing the blame solely on Viacom's shoulders, she stated she cannot change public opinion. I stated that the public opinion could possibly cause a decrease in viewing and she arrogantly informed me that across the board 20% of all television viewing is done so on Viacom channels.

I think most people that want to view the content is going to be very very upset with Viacom after they dropped the content from their websites.

As far as I am concerned most of they channels can stay away. My kids are not happy about the loss of Nick and other kids shows. Of all the channels I only watch VH1 Classic and occasionally Nick At Nite now that Friends is on.

As many have said Viacom needs to work on their math. Their few pennies a day isn't fooling anyone. I was with DIshnetwork when Viacom pulled the same garbage. Viacom has channels with a few shows run over and over and over again to fill a schedule. Also they offer very little HD, which most customers want now.

With some stations such as History and Discovery coming out with hit shows the past few years, I fear that they will want a huge increase in fees when the next contract negotiation happens.

As far as I am concerned most of they channels can stay away. My kids are not happy about the loss of Nick and other kids shows. Of all the channels I only watch VH1 Classic and occasionally Nick At Nite now that Friends is on.

being in the Minneapolis market you can watch Friends on KSTC45 (5-2 OTA) at 10:00 & 10:30 at night :)

If I don't have to hear my kids watching SpongeBob this weekend, I'm going to write a thank you note to Viacom for their greed.

Instead you'll hear your kids complaining about not being able to watch the shows they want ...

Didn't have a problem today. They moved over to Disney shows once I told them why they had the Kid's mix channel instead of Nick. Not even a peep once they realized it wasn't a glitch in the system.

EDIT: And Phineas and Ferb aren't NEAR as annoying as SpongeBob.

Didn't have a problem today. They moved over to Disney shows once I told them why they had the Kid's mix channel instead of Nick. Not even a peep once they realized it wasn't a glitch in the system.

EDIT: And Phineas and Ferb aren't NEAR as annoying as SpongeBob.

:up

I don't think it would be cheaper by any means. Viacom is going to charge I'm sure more then $1 per channel, which I'm sure thats what your thinking.:)

I'd rather pay $75/m for the 20 channels I actually watch than $75 for hundreds that I don't.

At this point, I'd be perfectly happy with some kind of sports-only pack. There are so many ways of getting TV shows that I don't need cable/satellite; I only need it anymore for live events.

FWIW, Viacom programming is available on Hulu Plus. Apparently, they only shut down their free web streams. I realize that's $8/mo. But, I understand that DirecTV is giving credits and stuff to customers that complain. So, you can think of it as reimbursement.

Of course, you will need some type of streaming device for this, either a standalone unit like Roku or GoogleTV, or a web-enabled TV or BD player.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)