DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
99 dollars is not bad when you think of prices folks may have paid for there HR 24's not including any polite asking of promos :)

Right now I have two HR24's and one H21 I would "give back the H21" and have a set up of one HR34 and two HR 24's not a bad set up...humm am I ready to sign up for a new contract, happy with direct just got to think it over!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

A few ?'s

1. Will the hr34's have the ability to connect an ehd?

2. If yes, what will the capacity of the ehd be?

3. If a ehd is connected, will it prevent the use of the internal hd?

4. Can recordings be shared between two or more 34's if they are on the same account and location?
1. dont know
2. It already has a 1TB drive in it
3. yes
4. no

Hmmmm hasnt Dish had this same setup for a year or longer and no such fees for new suscribers?
what are you talking about?
Find me a Dish receiver that can record 5 sat programs at same time....I'll keep waiting because there is none ;)

So, essentially, it will work like the HR24 does now, providing DVR access to "slave" hd boxes at the TV locations? And it's a single-tuner unit? What will the cost be to new customers in up-front fees to get a 5-room setup?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

So, essentially, it will work like the HR24 does now, providing DVR access to "slave" hd boxes at the TV locations? And it's a single-tuner unit? What will the cost be to new customers in up-front fees to get a 5-room setup?

post 1 has the info ;)

and unlike a HR24 that has only two tuners the HR34 has 5 tuners

Any thoughts on how the rebate will work?
* applied to the bill?
* some sort of VISA gift card?

It's going to have the ability to record 5 shows at once, and needs to be using a SWM. It looks like I'll need to upgrade the SWM in order to support the HR34 plus additional HR2x DVR's. I'll be above 8 in no time.

HOME MEDIA CENTER requires a DIRECTV Plus HD DVR model HR34 receiver. Remote viewing requires a model H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-capable TV in each additional room, a SWiM network, HD Access, DVR service and DIRECTV Whole- Home DVR service. There is a limit of one remote viewing per DVR at a time. For Whole-Home DVR to function, your receivers should never have an Ethernet cable connected, unless it is connected to a DECA. H24 and HR24 receivers should never have a DECA installed. Also requires HD Access ($10/mo.), DVR Service ($7/mo.) and DIRECTV and Whole-Home service ($3/mo.).
So does this mean that even if I update my whole home setup to SWM, I would not be able to access the programs on the HR34 with my HR20, & HR23s?

what are you talking about?
Find me a Dish receiver that can record 5 sat programs at same time....I'll keep waiting because there is none ;)

LOL! I was refering to everything but that it could record up to 5. Our current setup with Dish is the usual 2, however I am not crazy about it as it can still effect watcher A & B if both wanting to watch a 3rd program.

from what I read you can record up to 5 shows
3 can be used to stream to other locations but also remember if you have a receiver there they can watch other stuff

so if I have a HR34 and say 3 RCU's the family could
watch a program (program A) from the hard drive in the bedroom
watch a program (program B) from the hard drive in the computer room
watch a program (program C) from the hard drive in the basement
while I flip between 2 programs that are recording on the HR34

If there are H25's in the mix then they can watch whatever they want and have no association with the hard dirve

I do not mean to ask something that has already been answered, but I would like a little clarification. Will existing subscribers be able to call DirecTv on Thursday, and upgrade, say a HR24 for a HR34? And then DTV will issue a $300 rebate in some form or another?

Last edited:
There is some discussion on another forum wondering if the PDA spec sheet was real or not. I can vouch that it is real and came directly from DirecTV from their link which was in their retailer news letter.

We have a lot of DirecTV retailers here And I am sure they can vouch that it is real as well.

It might have some mistakes in it but that was done by DirecTV themselves. (I am not talented in the graphic department.) :D

Have a great weekend.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

I have 3 HR21s in 3 rooms. If I get this HR34, how many receivers would I need total?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about switching to Direct from Dish. What set up would I need for 3 TV's? An H34 and what for the other 2 TV's? Would like to be able to watch different show's why others are taping on the HR34 but watch the shows taped on the HR34 on the other TV's?

Thanks,

John

That statement isn't accurate. The listed Samsung LED TVs have been sold publicly or months.
If Samsung (or anyone else) offered software to enable RVU on these TVs, you might have a point. As such software isn't available, you're the one that isn't being accurate.
RVU client boxes will eventually come to market offering an impossibly small footprint compared to a traditional DVR.
That may well be the case, but we'll have to wait until something much smaller than the C30 makes a debut to see whether or not your prediction was correct.
I've been waiting for this news since before buying my Samsung UN55D6420 in July.
And yet there's still no RVU clients.

RVU clients aren't certified by divine decree or defacto. They must be tested by the UNH IOL and once the results are in, the RVU Alliance may or may not award certification. The fact remains that the Pace C30 is the only device to attain any manner of RVU certification and DIRECTV won't let it out the door.

Correct, will do OTA just like all the other HR21-HR24 series with the AM21.
Compatibility is only half the answer regarding the AM21. The other half is whether or not it adds to the number of channels that may be recorded at once or, as with the older HD DVRs, supplants internal tuners.

. . . .That may well be the case, but we'll have to wait until something much smaller than the C30 makes a debut to see whether or not your prediction was correct. And yet there's still no RVU clients.

. . . .
It been reported the C30 will have a short shelf life. Except for mentioning C31, he gave no details as to its size.

Status
Please reply by conversation.