Directv Lost a new customer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leehound

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
East Tennessee
I justed wanted to relay my buddys experience with Directv. As a long time subscriber to Directv, I talked him in to switching from Dish. He was excited about the new satalite and the new HD programing.

He scheduled two weeks ago for installation for saturday. The installer called early saturday and gave some excuse about somebody being sick and that he was running late. But, he told my buddy that he would be calling him throughout the day to let him know when he would be showing up. My buddy waited all day by the phone, the installer never called and never showed up. Thats just not right! And to add salt to the wound, when he called Directv, they offered to rescedule for two weeks later??? Needless to say he told the CSR that he would be staying with Dish. And then he finds out that Directv has already charged his credit card. Can they do that?:confused:

If I hadn't just committed to two years with Directv, I would consider switching to Dish, because they made me look bad for recommending them.:mad:

Sorry, just had to vent!

That's too bad that it turned out like that. Unfortunetly Directv has no control over the installers and what they do when it comes to showing up. After the fact they should do something to the installer though. Have your buddy send an email to the ceo's office. Somebody here has that email address but I don't.

I could be wrong but I don't think they can charge the credit card until after the service is provided.

I would call Directv and question this.

An Dish never misses installations, calls to say they're on the way and then not show, charge credit cards for something that didn't happen, yea right.;)

RAD,

Lets say this story is true. The guy isnt a troll. (Ive been pi$$ed when installers hadnt shown up on time so I know it does happen.)

Im sure if the guy calls D* back they will credit him.

While it does stink that it happened to him I wouldnt consider the practice to be D* specific.

I hope D* does the right thing.

The only part that makes me question the story is that this friend of yours called up D*, complained that D* screwed him. Told D* that he was leaving. And D* didnt bend over backwards to retain him. Thats the part that makes me think there was something left out of the story.

That's too bad that it turned out like that. Unfortunetly Directv has no control over the installers and what they do when it comes to showing up.
They should especially if they wear D* logo shirts.

Last edited:
RAD,

Lets say this story is true. The guy isnt a troll. (Ive been pi$$ed when installers hadnt shown up on time so I know it does happen.)

Im sure if the guy calls D* back they will credit him.

While it does stink that it happened to him I wouldnt consider the practice to be D* specific.

I hope D* does the right thing.

The only part that makes me question the story is that this friend of yours called up D*, complained that D* screwed him. Told D* that he was leaving. And D* didnt bend over backwards to retain him. Thats the part that makes me think there was something left out of the story.

First off, I am not a troll. I have no reason to make this up. It happened and it should'nt have. I just recently upgraded to a new dish and a HR20 and my experience was positive. That is why I had no problem recommending Directv to him. When my buddy called Directv, he was surprised that the person on the other end acted like they could care less that he declined a future installation and said he would stick with Dish. And why would they offer an new installation date 2 weeks later?

I am telling the facts, take it or leave it.

First off, I am not a troll. I have no reason to make this up. It happened and it should'nt have. I just recently upgraded to a new dish and a HR20 and my experience was positive. That is why I had no problem recommending Directv to him. When my buddy called Directv, he was surprised that the person on the other end acted like they could care less that he declined a future installation and said he would stick with Dish. And why would they offer an new installation date 2 weeks later?

I am telling the facts, take it or leave it.
I believe you and part of your friends problem is miss communication, and part is going directly to Directv. As part of the credit check procedure started in July a hold is put on your credit card I believe $25 DISH also does this they have not removed any funds and the hold is generally released in 48 hours, though it varies from 1 bank to another. The CSR was probably poorly trained and didn't advise him of this part. If he had called an independent Directv dealer instead of calling the 800# he probably would be a happy Directv customer now. HSP (home service providers) under contract to Directv frequently schedule more installs than they can handle just to cover treed out locations forgetful potential customers or bad directions to the customers house. Every week there will be customers that get stood up. Independent dealers on the other hand value their customers and will make every effort to be there on time and satisfy the customer, dealers need word of mouth referrals to stay in business. HSP are flooded with D* scheduled business they don't care about you the next weeks business is already scheduled as your friend found out.:):):)

I could be wrong but I don't think they can charge the credit card until after the service is provided.

I would call Directv and question this.

Im a perfect world we all would do that, but the problem is that if we billed customers for the installation there would be a certain percentage that simply would not pay it.

You would be surprised on how many new systems I sell and how many customers don't even mail in the first payment and go into Non-pay disconnect.

I really doubt that his credit card was charged for programming or services. This guy's card was probably charged for the cost of the equipment and for shipping. If that's the case all he has to do is call D* and cancel his order to get his jack back.:)

I know D* subs their installs to sub contractors, but they really should step up to the plate a little more when it comes to bad installs or installers. These guys represent D* to the customer.

In my business if we sub contract a part or all of a job out to another company, and the customer has a complaint or an issue, its on us and we step up to the plate. After all its our name that will get dragged through the mud if the sub does a bad job.

Its the same thin with D*.

I guess I have been lucky. I have had four installers come out to my house over the years of owning and upgrading D* equipment, and I have only had on that I did not care for, but he still did a decent job.

Perhaps D* can threaten to take work away from that sub if they start to pile up a record.:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)