DirecTV May Fight Retrans Fees with Antennas

Status
Please reply by conversation.
News to me, they must have a special waiver from the FCC to operate because the article I read back during the transition to digital said VHF-LO was going away to be reclaimed for more public service band.

Check Las Vegas too. They have a couple on VHF lo. Been a pain in the butt getting reception in the condo my dad just bought out there.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'll be happy when this happens, I can get more station from off the air than DirecTV has to offer.

News to me, they must have a special waiver from the FCC to operate because the article I read back during the transition to digital said VHF-LO was going away to be reclaimed for more public service band.

Ahh once again the fcc pooched it on that.WCYB Bristol is still RF 5.It was a mistake on their part to remain there.They have been clamoring to get on UHF ever since.

Many markets use VHF-LO, including where I live.

We made good use of an OTA antenna connected to our Dish 622. Would be very glad to see that type of thing on all of the DVRs from all of the providers. All this re-transmit stuff seems bogus to me.. as others have said, the stations have gotten bennies from the tax payer, and transmit OTA for free.

Only caveat, IMO, would be if the re-transmitter (ie DTV) was cutting out the broadcast commercials and putting it their own.

Ahh once again the fcc pooched it on that.WCYB Bristol is still RF 5.It was a mistake on their part to remain there.They have been clamoring to get on UHF ever since.

Could someone give me a refresher of why VHF lo is so bad for DTV? It used to be that channels 2-6 came in the easiest when far away from the towers (I grew up 90 miles away from TV) and required less power for the same distance.

Is it just a matter of people no longer having vhf antennas, or does the digital signal propagate differently?

VHF Lo is VERY susceptible to electrical interference. Not such a problem with analog, you just see sparkles on the screen. With digital it will cause the tuner to loose the lock on the signal.

Just another thing to force techs to install that will need to be included in basic installation that we won't be paid for. I know I've seen ota antennas made to fit on the old 1 5/8" mast from 18s and 18x20. Maybe they'll start requiring us to put these in kinda like the 2nd dish needed in a few markets that had locals on 72.5.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)