Directv On demand in Canada using VPN?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I always laugh, Canadians trying to get DirecTV, I'm an American who would love to get Bell.

LOL, if you don't mind paying for the same channel in 5 different time zones.. that's Bell ExpressVU. CBC in 5 time zones, NBC in 5 time zones, ABC in 5 time zones.. that's counted as 15 channels for you..

I don't see directv listed on the unblock us site, in my opinion it is not worth the risk, i mean The VOD would be great but risk losing it all for that? I'm curious if there has ever been a Canadian here that reported their account was cancelled from either plugging in the receiver to the Internet or the phone line.

I have had DirecTV in Canada & the USA since 1994. One of the first subscribers. Dual citizen, so I hop back and forth allot. Had a VuCube for a while on the back on my tractor trailer, based out of Texas (my home) I traveled all over North America and always had a clear signal.

If you're worried about the Queens Cowboys (RCMP) knocking down your door, I wouldn't. They go after companies that are reselling the DirecTV services in Canada bulk, not individuals.. there are 1000's of Canadian subscribers to DirecTV. Just drive around Alberta and every second house has a DirecTV dish.. DirecTV's customer support is in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Plugging your receiver into a phone line, get yourself a Vonage account in the USA. ;) Call display will show a U.S. number if you are worried.

Also, if you're interested in On Demand in Canada.. I would suggest StrongVPN and you can get a plug & go VPN router.

Lastly, subscribe to LA or NY local channels. They can be received outside the beam spot areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see directv listed on the unblock us site, in my opinion it is not worth the risk, i mean The VOD would be great but risk losing it all for that? I'm curious if there has ever been a Canadian here that reported their account was cancelled from either plugging in the receiver to the Internet or the phone line.

I'm in MB and have had my HD-DVR connected to my Shaw internet for over a year now. Nothing flagged in my DTV account. I USED to be able to dnld VOD without any problems. Now it sits on 0% dnld for ever. I'm guessing Cdn IP addresses have somehow been blocked ... or I have a software problem. I've had a DTV account since 2005 with no problems (except this now)

Anyone have this working? I'm looking to accomplish the same thing. I'm using ipvanish VPN w/ NYC IP address.

It's confirmed working as when I go to whatsmyip.com or the ipvanish site my location shows NY. I am able to access US Netflix and Hulu on the ps3. Still hesitant to plug the Ethernet into the Hr24 though.. Would like some confirmations.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No responses? Anybody have this working currently?

I've had my HR24 connected to the Internet for about 2 years now, rsoares. I can watch YouTube video's and some other "Extras", but I haven't been able to watch anything from "On Demand." I setup a VPN yesterday, but I'm still trying to get it going.

I have my on demand working and im using a VPN.

My cousin however is in your boat.. YouTube and Apps working but no on demand. I haven't been able to go over and help him see what's wrong but when I do and if I'm successful ill post my findings here for you.

I have my on demand working and im using a VPN.

My cousin however is in your boat.. YouTube and Apps working but no on demand. I haven't been able to go over and help him see what's wrong but when I do and if I'm successful ill post my findings here for you.

That would be great, thanks so much in advance. :)

OP: Yes it will work. HMA - Hide my ass works well.

http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Router_configuration

To all you arm chair lawyers, its also likely illegal for you to sneeze in proximity of others, spit in public etc. You might even be breaking some sex laws in the bedroom. Better watch out!

Plenty of laws that aren't enforced at all. Getting Directv would be one of them.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/new-york

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=134529

Quick arrest that man! <rolls eyes>

Last edited:
I was all ready to go last night, I had my IT guy here and then we found out my router was incompatible with StrongVPN.

I'm very close, gonna pickup another router today.

Does anybody know where the DirecTV servers are located?

I'm asking because my IT guy says the closer my ip address is to the servers, the better.

4. Illegal activities
SatelliteGuys.US will not tolerate any use of the forums to facilitate any illegal activities. Links to websites that share illegal software, music, movies, sites that promote satellite piracy or other data are not permitted. Links to private FTP sites with illegal content are also not permitted. Discussions on how to circumvent smartcard security, how to modify equipment to intercept scrambled subscription programming, try to break the copy-protection of DVR recorded software and other discussions of obviously illegal activity will not be permitted.

A note on Smart Card Talk / Discussion
At SatelliteGuys we do not allow the discussion of Smart Card security technology. As we have grown we have learned that even the most honest discussions on Smart Cards eventually turn into questionable discussion bordering on hack talk... And that's not what SatelliteGuys is about.

SatelliteGuys.US actively works with Dish Network, DirecTV and other agencies including law enforcement officials to help stamp out illegal satellite related activities.

I'm going by memory, it's a Cisco 220W or something like that.

It's a VPN router that my tech guy uses all the time in commercial VPN installations.

StrongVPN confirmed that it cannot be flashed and is incompatible. Ironically, this is a 300.00 router and the one I'm picking up today that IS compatible, costs 70.00

DirecTV seeking damages for grey-market satellite operation in Windsor

American satellite provider DirecTV is seeking damages and a permanent injunction against a Canadian “grey market” reseller in a case that could send a strong message to grey market operators.

“We have an interlocutory injunction and the action is for a permanent injunction and for damages,” Christopher Bredt, a senior partner with Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, representing DirecTV, told The Wire Report in an interview.
“Unless the matter settles, we would pursue [it] to obtain a permanent injunction.”

The grey market consists of Canadian resellers who misrepresent themselves to DirecTV by providing U.S. addresses to get satellite receivers and set-top boxes. The resellers then sell the receivers to customers who can watch DirecTV’s American programming in Canada.
“What they are doing is falsely representing to DirecTV that the receiver is in the United States,” Bredt said.

In July, DirecTV obtained a temporary, or interlocutory injunction from the Ontario Superior Court against Kent Haskell.
The court decision on the injunction, issued July 16, said Haskell operated two storefronts and several websites out of Windsor, Ont., and sold DirecTV subscriptions on the so-called grey market.
Haskell previously worked with Paul Donaldson at a company owned by Haskell called Can-Am Satellites. Their business relationship ended in 2004-2005, the court injunction said.
On Sept. 29, 2008, DirecTV obtained an order against Donaldson to prevent him from “distributing, providing, offering for sale, importing, leasing, installing, operating or possessing any Grey Market Technology and engaging in any activation fraud,” the injunction said.

The injunction cited another interim court order involving Haskell, issued July 2, 2009 by Ontario Superior Court Justice Herman Wilton-Siegel, who said the court needed to determine whether Haskell acted contrary to sections 9(1)(c) and 10(1)(b) of the Radiocommunication Act.

“Mr. Haskell has admitted that he has sold and has for sale DirecTV receivers … The evidence is that Canadian residents use DirecTV receivers by establishing false addresses in the United States to obtain DirecTV programming in contravention of the Radio Communication Act,” Wilton-Siegel wrote in the interim order decision.
Section 9(1)(c) of the act says that no person shall decode an encrypted signal without the permission from the signal’s distributor.
Section 10(1)(b) states that any person who manufactures, leases, sells or installs radio communications equipment against its intended purpose can be subject to fines up to $5,000 and a year in jail. A corporation can be fined up to $25,000.

The lawsuit against Haskell is still before the court. Parties in the case have yet to determine the costs associated with the injunction, and as of Wednesday no hearing date had been set.
David Canton, counsel with Harrison Pensa in London, Ont., said the Ontario Superior Court’s decision to issue an interlocutory injunction against Haskell should send a strong message to grey market operators.
“To the extent that people are still working the grey market industry, it certainly sends a definitive message to them that people will go after them,” Canton said.

To obtain the injunction DirecTV argued that it suffered irreparable harm through grey market activities.
“We have potential liability to programming rights holders in Canada and in the U.S.,” Robert Mercer, a spokesman for DirecTV, told The Wire Report in an interview.
He said DirecTV is licensed to broadcast only its own content in the U.S. and that the company can be held liable by broadcasters and content owners if its programming is made available elsewhere.
In 1997, WIC Western International Communications Ltd., formerly a satellite distributor now owned by Shaw Communications Inc., filed a suit against DirecTV for not going far enough to stop grey market resellers and ensure that its signals could not be received in Canada.

DirecTV argues that grey market activities have incurred costs through enforcement initiatives and lost equipment.

“We’ve spent millions in Canada taking actions, like the [Ontario Superior Court] suit in question, to keep individuals in Canada from illegally receiving our signal,” Mercer said.

DirecTV leases the set-top boxes its customers use to receive satellite programming.
“If the [set-top] boxes are shipped outside of the country, the idea is that the boxes are supposed to be returned at the end of the lease period or when the agreements are ended,” Bredt said.
“That is difficult if not impossible to enforce once the set-top boxes have been exported from the United States up to Canada.”

Daphne Johnston, a lawyer representing Haskell, declined to comment for this story, but the court injunction said Haskell argues there are four legal uses of DirecTV equipment in Canada.
Haskell argues the equipment can be legally used to receive satellite radio, connect with Dish Network programming, use as a “free-to-air satellite,” or record digital video.
DirecTV argues that its equipment cannot be legally used for the first three functions and can only be used as a digital video recorder if a user has a valid subscription to its service.
Sgt. Julie Gagnon, a spokeswoman for the RCMP, could not comment on the scope of the grey market for satellite television in Canada, but told The Wire Report that the police force works closely with telecom providers to “investigate satellite piracy throughout Canada.”

Prior to 2005, DirecTV was largely focused on stopping the black market for satellite television in Canada, under which individuals sold devices allowing Canadians to receive DirecTV signals without paying.
DirecTV does not have a licence to broadcast its signals into Canada, and because the company serves the continental United States, its satellite footprints spill over the border, making it possible for Canadians to receive their programming illegally.
Mercer said the black market was solved by improved encryption for their television signals.

“We were laser-focused on the black market,” Mercer said.
“That was the big problem in Canada and the U.S., a problem that we ultimately solved through technology when we built a bulletproof conditional access card; that is to say that it cannot be hacked, and has not been hacked to date.”

In April 2002, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that it is illegal for Canadians to decode encrypted satellite signals unless they have the permission of the distributor—which has the rights to transmit the signal.

I'm not concerned about all that, DTRO. I've had my own account for many years now, about a year before the black market died. I don't stack, I have my own address, phone number, etc.

Listen, you're obviously not here to help me, you're here to play Internet cop, but I'm not into playing games.

Look for someone that actually gives a flying f#%k about what you're talking about, because it sure isn't me.

Reactions: texasfb
Listen, you're obviously not here to help me, you're here to play Internet cop, but I'm not into playing games.

Look for someone that actually gives a flying f#%k about what you're talking about, because it sure isn't me.
Exactly my point. And your right I don't help people who don't follow legal rules and laws!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)