DIRECTV Remains Clear HD Leader with 130 HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
But DVD's even look good on SD TV's. Better then SD programming looks on SD TV's. Thats not a compressed signal for one. I'm not sure how you can even compair a DVD to a satellite tv signal. Maybe you could explain?
DVDs are compressed. Just less so than SD programming on a sat company. Which is the main reason they look better

Thats going to be hard to say , Since the last year I've played nothing but Blu ray movies.
When you get a chance try playing several different SD DVDs on both players and see if you notice a difference, especially with graphic displays.

I still don't think the SD on an HD channel looks that great. ON E*, I won't say D*:) , And as much as some hate me, Your not getting me out of the D* forums that easy, I"ve been with them for 5 years and 2 years back 1995-1997. So I like to say what I like and don't like. Some take it to personal. And there's no reason for it. I don't call anyone names, or make them feel like they aren't ever welcome. So sorry if I made it get ugly. Most of you guys in the D* forums have always been great. So its hard to leave. But I'll try to be a little nicer.:up

Well, we've gone full circle over the past few days.

Right before the launch I asked that we keep the discussion to the new directv HD channels expected to launch.

After the launch, there was a resonable discussion of disappointment.

Since then, we've gone into what warrents an HD channel, who counts them how, is an HD channel HD if no HD is shown, and what happens if a tree falls in the woods if nobody hears it.

So I'll ask again, can we keep this thread to the discussion of the 2 new national HD, 2 new showtime premiums, the 11 RSNs, and the over-bearing plethora of PPV channels that DirecTV added this week?

Please take the other stuff to the warzone.

i've played sd movies on my bluray and i gotta tell ya that some of these sd dvd's look better on my sd dvd player than what they do on my bluray. yes,i know that doesn't make sense but what i notice is that sometimes the bluray enhances the sd pic so much that i notice imperfections that i didn't notice on the sd dvd player. makes sense?

I have a Sony Blu Ray, And a Philips DVD player,that I got for $50.
I would have to say in that case, try it on the blu ray player. Let us know what you think. Honestly, I think you will see some improvement. Assuming that you have the input that the blu-ray player is coming in on set up properly.

i've played sd movies on my bluray and i gotta tell ya that some of these sd dvd's look better on my sd dvd player than what they do on my bluray. yes,i know that doesn't make sense but what i notice is that sometimes the bluray enhances the sd pic so much that i notice imperfections that i didn't notice on the sd dvd player. makes sense?
That could happen

I just spent some time watching VH1 SD and VH1 HD back to back and I can say the VH1 HD was clearly sharper, crisper and cleaner than the SD version. Both channels were in 4:3 mode with no stretching. I was watching on my Sony 60" SXRD with a brand new lamp bulb I just put in two days ago because the original had burned out. With this new lamp bulb the picture is very bright and looks real good. My HR20 is set to native off and I have the resolution set to 1080i.

Edit: I know I'm continuing the off topic post but I did want to put in the results of my own test.

Mike:

Sorry to hear about your problems with DirecTV.Wish you the best of luck with Dish.I was truly hoping you would like DirecTV better.I know when I switched from Dish to DirecTV I have been alot happier.:)

My problems with Dish has always been the way I believe Dish puts out inferior technology,how they obtain that technology,channel contract negotiations,extra fees,and their general operations.:no:rolleyes:

Again good luck!:)

Thanks, you too. DISH has always been more to my liking ,going on 12 years in January . Yes I agree that CHArlie's tactics in negotiations , extra fees, and general operations is lacking, but the technology is still cutting edge to me in terms of receivers. Especially compared to DIrectv's hr 21.

Going back to what Hemi was saying regarding MTV, E* does not carry that in HD yet so I dont know what all this conversation was about since Hemi can not compare the two. I know for a fact HD channel for MTV is much much better than SD.

Well, we've gone full circle over the past few days.

Right before the launch I asked that we keep the discussion to the new directv HD channels expected to launch.

After the launch, there was a resonable discussion of disappointment.

Since then, we've gone into what warrents an HD channel, who counts them how, is an HD channel HD if no HD is shown, and what happens if a tree falls in the woods if nobody hears it.

So I'll ask again, can we keep this thread to the discussion of the 2 new national HD, 2 new showtime premiums, the 11 RSNs, and the over-bearing plethora of PPV channels that DirecTV added this week?

Please take the other stuff to the warzone.

Well I believe that DirecTV is keeping additions simple so the resolutions looks awesome with the MPEG4 channels of Sunday Ticket.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)