DIRECTV says it will go all HD in 2016 , what about DISH?

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
I read in the tv predictions website that DIRECTV launched a new satellite today and they say they will go all hd by 2016 as well as add more 4k channels. Wonder if DISH has any plans to go all hd ,much less do 4k? I think that being able to compete with DIRECTV/ATT they need to go all hd as well. Would love to have Tv Land in hd as well as the other premium channels in hd ,especially the Encore group of premium channels.

I know DTV did say they are planning to add some 4K and if they eventually get HD channels, but from what they said on Facebook there is no real strong plans to make a push for HD like the Sd to HD transition.

yea i know that every channel will go hd but i can only wish. :) would it be nice if dish would have all their channels in hd

I expect (and hope) that when Dish finally gets the 8PSK conversion on WA complete they will begin to add more HD channels and perhaps some 4K content (however they may take a wait and see attitude before going full force), also hopefully E18 launching might add or liberate some extra bandwidth on WA.

Reactions: TheKrell
So one of the rumor know alls here, is it true that DTV will be giving up their lease on 110???
I doubt it anytime soon as Puerto Rico SD channels are on 110 right now, possibly someday, maybe a trade for 110 transponders for 103 RDBS since directv and dish are fighting over that.

I figured there was no new information. The reason I worded it to the rumor mill is because it has been on the rumor mill for well over 2 years, likely longer. That is just how long I have been looking at stuff at DTV.

I figured there was no new information. The reason I worded it to the rumor mill is because it has been on the rumor mill for well over 2 years, likely longer. That is just how long I have been looking at stuff at DTV.
If dish could some how get the 110 and 119 transponders from directv the WA would have way more bandwidth than the EA.

Reactions: vcsatellite
With 129, it should to be honest. Plus the "replacement" to 110 that is going up. Not to mention the 8psk upgrade... Not sure how much it will open up but I have heard atleast 8 4k or 32 HD channels.

So one of the rumor know alls here, is it true that DTV will be giving up their lease on 110???
At one time it was mentioned that DirecTV either was, or might offer their space at 110 and 119 to Dish to appease the DOJ and FCC and help them move along the approval process of the AT&T merger. I have not read anything else about that in quite a while. If the regulators continue to drag out the merger approval it wouldn't surprise me for them to bring it back up.

TV Predictions seems to get it wrong in almost every instance. Isn't that site by the Swami guy? He just regurgitates what's already been published. He aint no Dave Zats who has contacts and can confirm things and report on his own direct knowlege.

I read in the tv predictions website that DIRECTV launched a new satellite today and they say they will go all hd by 2016 as well as add more 4k channels.
All by itself, this "prediction" or "observation" is pretty far fetched. At least 5 million DIRECTV US customers have no HD equipment according to Patrick Doyle at the last earnings call. It seems unlikely that they can re-install that many customers in 18 months.

That they could add more 4K channels implies that they have a 4K channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)