DiSEqC switch with Dish Net Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elchucko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Full time RVer
I first posted this in the Dish Network Forum, but it was suggested that I post it here:

First a little history.

A few years ago I was using a DiSEqC switch to control the various LNBFs connected to my 311 receiver. It was recognized as a"Generic" switch and functioned perfectly. It was an older DiSEqC switch that I had purchased in Europe in the 90's. That switch is no longer with me and I am trying to switch between 110,118,119 and 129, which I am able to receive as side LNBFs on my Motosat internet dish.

I purchased two cheap switches from a sponsor and tried them. They are recognized as a "DP44" but will not function.

I have contacted two different eBay sellers of the Chieta that claims to work with almost anything. Neither of them responded.

I then contacted two of the sponsors of this forum and neither of them has responded to me.

If you have had success with a DiSEqC switch and a Dish receiver, please let me know which switch and if possible, where it can be purchased.

Thanks

Chuck

tried it, never made it work. use a Dish branded switch and cut down on heartburn.

Good Luck, Eric

I can think of a lot of reasons it won't work, but let me ask a few questions first:
- what was the satellite layout you used a few years ago when it worked?
- was it the 311 receiver back then?
- have you changed the dish/LNB?
- are all of the LNBs DN models?
- are you just trying to use one single-tuner receiver?
- is the 119° satellite plugged into diseqc port #1?

Is there any reason you don't just use a DP-34 (for three LNBs) or a DPP-44 for four?

Some of the Dish LNBs consume quite a lot of power.
Your switch may not be up to the task.
I think they expect to be all powered up all the time, too.
Your receiver may not wait for a newly selected LNB to power up and stabilize, and therefore not recognize a bird (?)

I'm a little rusty on my DishNetwork anomalies, so I'm sure there are another 50 reasons. - :rolleyes:
Dish hardware is only tested/guaranteed/designed to work with their own stuff.
This is just one of the reasons we don't recommend anyone try to mix their FTA equuipment with their pay-satellite hardware.

I can think of a lot of reasons it won't work, but let me ask a few questions first:
- what was the satellite layout you used a few years ago when it worked?
- was it the 311 receiver back then?
- have you changed the dish/LNB?
- are all of the LNBs DN models?
- are you just trying to use one single-tuner receiver?
- is the 119° satellite plugged into diseqc port #1?

Is there any reason you don't just use a DP-34 (for three LNBs) or a DPP-44 for four?

-This is the same receiver and same LNBFs that worked before. -They are legacy Hughes LNBFs that were used on the Direcway/Hughes system. I am using only the 311 receiver.
-I can not say if 119 was on #1 port.

A DP34 is good for only 3 sats. Because of the power insertion required on a DP44, it is a problem on an internet dish that moves 360°.

When I was using a DiSEqC switch before, I was using 3 of the 4 outputs where 2 of the LNBFs (110 and 119) were on the Motosat
dish with a third LNBF for 121 on a portable dish. This is how I was getting the international channels.

Chuck

Some of the Dish LNBs consume quite a lot of power.
Your switch may not be up to the task.
I think they expect to be all powered up all the time, too.
This is just one of the reasons we don't recommend anyone try to mix their FTA equuipment with their pay-satellite hardware.

I've often wondered about "homebrew" E* dish/LNB configurations because of the abysmal power levels of the Eastern Arc satellites. If one were to use a DPP44 switch, is there a generic LNB that would work with likewise generic 30" or larger dishes that could each be aimed for 61.5/72.7/77W birds? I have a source that can get me the dishes with universal arms for next to nothing, but using Genuine Dish LNBs and stripping them down to bare feed horns isn't really attractive to me...

I don't mean to hijack...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA on a Dishnetwork dish project

wsee - Bahamas on AMC 21 Ku

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)