Dish 1000 and 129 in Southern California

wpmealey

Original poster
Dec 8, 2004
I Had the 622 installed last week and they changed my 500 to a 1000 so that I could have access to 129 which I understand will carry all most all of the HD programing. I have not subscribed to the HD pac yet so the only channels that I receive from 129 are the LA locals, 2(CBS0, 4(NBC), 7(ABC) and 11(fox). When I try to tune to these channels most of the time I get nothing from 2,4 or 7 but 11 comes in ok. occasionally I get something from the2,4 and 7 but they break up continually. The signal strength on 129 transponders varies from about 60 (on only a few) to 40 on some to no signal on several.

I might add that I receiver all of the LA locals OTA with out problems.

What experience have you in the Southern Cal are had on this.

Bill

129 has been a pain in the ass since day one. There are many threads/posts of everyone's experiences. 129 has too low of signal. DISH engineers know about it but don't want to admit it and nobody knows when it will be fixed, or if there are any plans to even get it fixed. According to them it has enough signal to be operational which means nothing to us. They're not tearing their hair out every night watching this sh*t.

For now, a separate "bigger" dish for 129-only is the solution. A 20 inch dish (DISH500) is a little better but not by much. A 24" dish a lot better - 30" dish way better. Of course DISH Network won't supply you with those, but they will send you a bill every month for 129's great programming! ;)

Since you can receive OTA just fine then this is moot. However, Knight Rider will still be prone to drop outs. :mad:

Last edited:
My dish was changed to a 1000 the last week of Jan 06, when I upgraded two 811's to 211's. The installers spent almost two hours pointing the dish and the mast was already there. 129 was the last bird they worked on and they spent almost an hour trying to get the highest signal strength possible.

Prior to the 1000, I had the HD package without Voom, because I couldn't get 61.5. I had CBS-W HD off of 148 and the quality was great.

When the other HD locals (NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS) came in on 129 on 2/1, the quality with the 1000 dropped drastically compared to CBS HD on 148. TP's on 129 are mostly in the 60 to 70 range, but one or two are are in the high 70's. However, I get frequent pix-elation on all HD channels. I get absolutely no OTA where I live, so I hope they address the issue soon.

Strikeldr said:
My dish was changed to a 1000 the last week of Jan 06, when I upgraded two 811's to 211's. The installers spent almost two hours pointing the dish and the mast was already there. 129 was the last bird they worked on and they spent almost an hour trying to get the highest signal strength possible.

Prior to the 1000, I had the HD package without Voom, because I couldn't get 61.5. I had CBS-W HD off of 148 and the quality was great.

When the other HD locals (NBC, Fox, ABC, CBS) came in on 129 on 2/1, the quality with the 1000 dropped drastically compared to CBS HD on 148. TP's on 129 are mostly in the 60 to 70 range, but one or two are are in the high 70's. However, I get frequent pix-elation on all HD channels. I get absolutely no OTA where I live, so I hope they address the issue soon.

I just had the same upgrade done except the tech refuse to install Dish1000. I live in Connecticut and he told me that you can not get good signal with Dish1000 in new england. They were giving him a hard time when he called to activate my receiver and told them that he installed Dish500 not Dish1000
With the problem that you guys are having. I'm glad that he didn't follow Dish's order.

Why would one install a Dish 1000 in the Northeast? The footprint of 129 doesn't cover the NE. Dish 500 for 110 & 119 and another Dish 500 for 61.5 should have been installed if you are in CT.

downriver said:
Dish screwed everyone on the west coast. lovely company.

"Everybody"?

I'm in the LA area. In November, I managed to get the $250 lease deal on a 942. When the installer came out, he said he had to add two dishes to the one I already had so that I could get HD with Voom. I wasn't excited about telling the wife that we would have THREE dishes on the roof! He volunteered that a Dish 1000 would be a great solution, but that wasn't on the work order. He called in and, after a few minutes, came back and said I would get a Dish 1000 no extra charge.

It has worked flawlessly ever since. Now, I'm just waiting patiently until 4/1 to upgrade to the 622 and the new HD stuff.

Imagine that - a happy customer ...

cforrest said:
Why would one install a Dish 1000 in the Northeast? The footprint of 129 doesn't cover the NE. Dish 500 for 110 & 119 and another Dish 500 for 61.5 should have been installed if you are in CT.

That's what he was telling Dish people when he called to activate my receiver.
They were giving him a hard time that he didn't install Dish 1000.
Out of curiosity I ask him why and he told me that you don't get good signal in new england area with Dish 1000.

Yes the Dish 1000 works on the west coast, as long as it doesn't rain very hard:D I went with a 2 dish solution. Signal strenght went from the mid 60s to the low 90s.

SSCN3905.JPG

RandallA said:
Just curious, what's your signal strength for 129? Specially where the HD channels are TPs 3, 11, 19, 23, 30, 31.

You know, I'm really not sure. I'll try to remember to check it out and report back. Maybe I've just been lucky - even when it is raining ;) .

I may have overstated the "flawlessly" part slightly. I should say that I see very occaisional pixselation - but, it is pretty rare. I used to see more on some channels, but that was when many were posting about the issue and it was thought to be a software problem.

I'll get back with the numbers.

CB

leave weell enough alone

I'm planning on getting a 622. I currently already have a D500 w/a seperate dish pointed @129 using all legacy lnbs and an SW64. Are they going to make me "upgrade" my equipment? My signal strengths are perfectly fine at this time and I would prefer to not have it messed with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts