DISH and 4K

My prediction on 4K adoption, people will get it, eventually. Look how long HD adoption took to get it this far. The 1st HDTVs came out in what, 1998? 7 years later in 2005, we had like 10 HD channels (and that included the locals), with only little to some HD content on each channel. It took another 7 years and by 2012 we had over 100 HD channels with mostly everything in HD. You figure at that rate, it'll take by the year 2025 if we're lucky for a majority of people to adopt 4K and by then the 8K TVs will come out and it'll take another 15 years for people to adopt it. Not everybody is like us here at Satelliteguys where we want to have the latest and greatest technology when it comes out right away (and the broadcasters and TV stations are not going to upgrade their equipment right away either) so people who are hoping for everybody to get 4K as fast as possible are gonna have to realize that considering how long it took for HD to get as far as it has, it'll take just as long for people to adopt to 4K and to create the content that people will want.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I would predict that the adoption of 4k by the general public will be much slower than the adoption of HD. People may purchase 4K sets because that is all that is available at Best Buy, but they aren't going to rush out and buy them and then seek 4K programming. I think the primary reason is that most folks cannot see the improvement that 4K provides over HD. I know people that claim they cannot tell the difference between HD and SD (I don't know if they aren't paying attention).

I really cannot tell very much difference in SD and HD on small TVs. But I'm pretty blind even with glasses. The larger TVs, 37" and above, it starts becoming more evident.

I really cannot tell very much difference in SD and HD on small TVs. But I'm pretty blind even with glasses. The larger TVs, 37" and above, it starts becoming more evident.

The same goes for 1080p vs 4k. Most people probably could not tell the difference on screens smaller than 65" (assuming normal viewing distance, not standing up close and doing a comparision).

The old standby chart http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

A 70" screen at 10' most people just start to see the difference.

How many people will have a big enough space for the large tv needed for 4K? Also, the switch from crt to fo flat panel was propelled by the switch from sd to digital. Now that most people have flat panel hd tv's it will take longer for 4K to become the standard.
Just a couple of years ago, the 3D was supposed to be the coming thing. Where is it now....
Time will tell.

Yep. Bulky CRTs had to go. I daresay most people are happy with their current flat & thin TVs and will only upgrade due to wear or damage. If it ain't broke......

Gonna take a LONG time before UHDTVs are in half the homes, and they'll only get there because when people replace broken sets, UHDTVs will be pretty much the only things on the shelf.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I upgraded from a crt in 04 with a Mitsu dlp. Very bulky and pricy, but at that time, most flat panels were monitors and did not thave their own tuners. Due to picture degradation we bought a 52 inch Sammy. My wife was out taking a walk when it was delivered. When she got home, she took 1 look at it and said "O my god, look at that picture."
We could not put a much bigger tv in our living room. I have no plans to upgrade to a 4k. And since I'm retiired, the funds aren't there.

Here's something that came along with mike123abc's link that puts human vision into perspective as compared to what digital cameras do:

It is a little long winded and you can pretty much stop watching when he starts talking about narrative for the purposes of this discussion.

I was unaware of the blind spots but sure enough, they are there.

Reactions: Tampa8
Flat panels won't last much more than 10 years anyway (look at the example above of the DLP that had to be replaced due to picture degradation).

Within 10 years, if there is a manufacturing push for 4K, and the retail stores only carry that, people will be forced to buy them. (Just like for a while people were forced to buy 3D sets unless they went the cheap route.)

The Mitsus were plagued with problems. Several blubs. Bad capacitors, etc. I had 1 board replaced due to dark wavy lines. After we got the Sammy, I moved the dlp to the downstairs family room. 2 weeks before my 5 year extended service contract expired, I found it hd the green blinking light of death. The local repair center sent the chassis to NJ for a rebuild. Took about 3 weeks. Less than 2 weeks later, I discovered the same thing. Back it went again. After it was returned, the same thing happened again. At that point I got Mitsu to give me store credit where I had bought it. I replaced it with a SONY LCVD.

Got a 65" Samsung 8550 UHD TV in April. Truly one of thee greatest f'ing TV's on Earth!
Also one of thee greatest PC monitors ever made!
You don't know what you are missing!

Flat panels won't last much more than 10 years anyway (look at the example above of the DLP that had to be replaced due to picture degradation).
DLP technology is not much like LCD technology. DLP is all about mirrors that move while LCD is about crystal orientation.

In most cases, it is the support electronics that die (although DLP was somewhat prone to mirror failure).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts