DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

AMC Garners 29 Emmy Award Nominations, Most for a Basic Cable Network Four Years in a Row - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Saying this or that AMC show isn't all that great misses the bigger point that they have a long established record of bringing great drama to the "lower tier cable channels"

BTW, those who have taken the time to post that they never watch AMC: Would please tell me what some of your favorite shows are so I can post that your channels are crap too. This is not helpful. A guy could amost believe that these folk were just trolling to get someone like me to rant and maybe even flame the thread. Sorry. As sorely as I'm tempted I'm not taking the bait.:)

The AMC shows Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and The Killing are HUGE.

Of all the so-called "basic cable" channels, AMC is a critical darling and audience favorite. It may not be as watched as USA, TNT, or FX. But, it is more popular than Discovery, SyFy, or Comedy Central. Imagine the furor if one of those got yanked.

AMC Garners 29 Emmy Award Nominations, Most for a Basic Cable Network Four Years in a Row - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Saying this or that AMC show isn't all that great misses the bigger point that they have a long established record of bringing great drama to the "lower tier cable channels"

BTW, those who have taken the time to post that they never watch AMC: Would please tell me what some of your favorite shows are so I can post that your channels are crap too. This is not helpful. A guy could amost believe that these folk were just trolling to get someone like me to rant and maybe even flame the thread. Sorry. As sorely as I'm tempted I'm not taking the bait.:)
I watch AMC for the walking dead and occasionally for a movie. i don't want anyone to rant. that is what AMC is for me.

AMC is pretty much dead even with Discovery in ratings and viewers. Syfy is nothing but a shattered shell of its former glory and I wouldn't miss it if it went away. Never cared for Comedy Central. AMC has some good programming, but it is only about 5% of their yearly programming schedule. There are just too many channels and not enough good programming anymore.

This won't hurt Dish much. Mad Men gets what 3.5 -4 million viewers, spread out over 10 or so providers. Just a drop in the bucket of customers that churn each quarter.

This won't hurt Dish much. Mad Men gets what 3.5 -4 million viewers, spread out over 10 or so providers. Just a drop in the bucket of customers that churn each quarter.
Trust me. If they drop AMC, it will be a BFD for a lot of subs. It will increase churn, especially in the middle of Mad Men and The Killing seasons.

Where are all the people telling us how dish is doing us a favor and we should be glad they are doing this? Oh wait, these aren't sports channels or someone else's locals. They might actually watch these ones.

I think you missed the point. Read the posts, we are saying we feel it's spite, mostly because of the lawsuit. If not for that I might agree more with Dish because there are rumblings of other providers also not happy with AMC's prices in light of less viewership. But most of us see it as getting back at AMC, at least making it so obvious so early on. So, no I don't agree with Dish on this, and yes I do when an RSN wants outrageous prices that I have to pay in the end even though I can't watch it. I can live without those channels truth be told, but that's not the point. It has nothing at all to do with sports vs other channels.

Mad Men and The Killing will both be over before the end of June and won't return until next March/April, assuming they are renewed. They have no effect on this, unless the network is pulled and is still off come next April. I bet 98% of Dish's customers wouldn't notice if it is missing and of those that do, I doubt 10% would switch. It is an insignificant number.

Fact is, this is the way channel negotiations are going to be in the future, until the Media Groups realize they can't have 30 niche channels bundled and expect everyone to pay for them. I expect Turner to be next, if Disney doesn't beat them to it, as Time Warner CEO hinted a couple of days ago, they think their channels are extremely undervalued and expects to correct that as their contracts come up for renegoiation in 2015-16.

AMC Is great. I love walking dead and Mad men. Plus great movies!
We get a chance to see unique programming.

I can't stand when a provider takes liberties with our programming.
They (dish, direc) might have a valid point. However, its lost when a channel
is pulled.
They need to work it out in private. Keep the channel or channels going while
they negotiate in good faith.

Stop airing it out in public.

Tampa8 said:
I think you missed the point. Read the posts, we are saying we feel it's spite, mostly because of the lawsuit. If not for that I might agree more with Dish because there are rumblings of other providers also not happy with AMC's prices in light of less viewership. But most of us see it as getting back at AMC, at least making it so obvious so early on. So, no I don't agree with Dish on this, and yes I do when an RSN wants outrageous prices that I have to pay in the end even though I can't watch it. I can live without those channels truth be told, but that's not the point. It has nothing at all to do with sports vs other channels.

I was mostly joking. I don't want AMC removed. Like I said earlier, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men are 3 of my favorite shows.

Where are these less viewership statements coming from though. As mentioned earlier Walking Dead set the cable drama viewership record this year and then broke that record with the season finale. If anything AMC has to be at an all time high in viewership. They have incredibly popular original series right now.

I am a 10+ customer, AEP + Superstations, 922 and a 211k. If they drop AMC and it's not back on by October, I will switch to D*. The Walking Dead is probably the one show that would force me to switch. This garbage about watching it on Amazon or iTunes is crazy. I want to watch it when it airs - not the next day or sometime after.

So, if someone from Dish is monitoring this thread, please realize there are likely many people just like me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)