DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Laddyboy said:

Not right now but look at those numbers during the walking dead season especially the finale. It broke the all time ratings record for a drama on cable.

The only scripted new show on AMC right now is Mad Men.Walking Dead runs in October and Feb,and does very well in the ratings.Breaking Bad is a critically acclaimed drama and imo the best scripted show on tv.It's going into it's final season 16 episodes total.AMC also has a couple of new shows slated to premiere this fall.I think Dish will find out that dropping AMC over a lawsuit with Voom will be far more detrimental to them than pulling Fox owned nets over carriage fees.The coveted 18-49 ratings group is where the Walking Dead stands out pretty sure Breaking Bad does too.

Still no need to panic yet,would like to get as many facts as possible but if it does indeed play out as it is atm then we will have to say goodbye to Dish.

I think you missed the point. Read the posts, we are saying we feel it's spite, mostly because of the lawsuit. If not for that I might agree more with Dish because there are rumblings of other providers also not happy with AMC's prices in light of less viewership. But most of us see it as getting back at AMC, at least making it so obvious so early on. So, no I don't agree with Dish on this, and yes I do when an RSN wants outrageous prices that I have to pay in the end even though I can't watch it. I can live without those channels truth be told, but that's not the point. It has nothing at all to do with sports vs other channels.
Missed the sarcasm did you?

You know I don't think I've watched 30 seconds of programming on AMC, IFC or WE since each started running 50% commercial to program ratio. So applying the "if I watch a channel "everyone" does" / if I don't watch a channel "nobody" does" filter most people would attach to something like this, "no one will care."

Come to think of it, when I first signed up for Dish, AMC wasn't even available, and that was during the time it was a worth-while channel I watched all the time before switching to Dish.

charlesrshell said:
What are the channel numbers that might be cancelled?

AMC is 130. The only other channel in this list I ever watch is IFC but I don't watch that enough to know what number it is.

IFC is 131 next to AMC, and WE is somewhere near the other women's channels in the 110s range. My wife watches Lifetime, but not WE. She actually complains that Dish doesn't carry a third Lifetime channel, and how I hope Dish doesn't think of replacing WE with it.

Also, this smells of the FOX/Dish dispute. Funny, how Dish says that people don't watch these channels but are ready to replace them with "alternate" channels. People must realize that they would be gone and would be pissed. The only other time this was done was during the FX, Nat Geo, and FSN blackout. Dish doesn't want to get rid of them, they want a lower cost, and know AMC won't give in that easily. They are using the excuse that people don't watch to make it sound like it's no sweat off their back. This will be a July to August situation. If Dish didn't care, they would just pull the channels like they did with CNBC World and Shorts HD and Fashion HD.

IFC is 131 next to AMC, and WE is somewhere near the other women's channels in the 110s range. My wife watches Lifetime, but not WE. She actually complains that Dish doesn't carry a third Lifetime channel, and how I hope Dish doesn't think of replacing WE with it.

Also, this smells of the FOX/Dish dispute. Funny, how Dish says that people don't watch these channels but are ready to replace them with "alternate" channels. People must realize that they would be gone and would be pissed. The only other time this was done was during the FX, Nat Geo, and FSN blackout. Dish doesn't want to get rid of them, they want a lower cost, and know AMC won't give in that easily. They are using the excuse that people don't watch to make it sound like it's no sweat off their back. This will be a July to August situation. If Dish didn't care, they would just pull the channels like they did with CNBC World and Shorts HD and Fashion HD.

OK, so are you saying we might loose AMC 130, IFE 131, and WE 128? Is that all of them? If not, does anyone know all of the exact channels we might loose if Dish pulls the plug on AMC?

Sundance channel is on 389. Also WE, AMC and IFC have been mirrored on channels391, 392 and 393. If dish is really going to drop the channels my guess is that they will slate the "regular" channel numbers (128, 130 and 131) and leave them in the 390s for a little while to see how many people squawk!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)