DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

Some have speculated that it was tit for tat. AMC put up a crawl warning viewers about the dispute, and Dish moved the channels later that same day.

Maybe this simple question deserves a whole new thread but I'll ask it here since it's kind of within this topic. Why did Dish move AMC to 9610? I'm just wondering if one of the Dish guys has an opinion. Most everybody else would say spite is the answer.

Spite as far as I can see.

Some have speculated that it was tit for tat. AMC put up a crawl warning viewers about the dispute, and Dish moved the channels later that same day.
Can AMC put a crawl on their programming that would only be viewable to Dish subscribers, or would customers of other carriers see it as well?

According to amc this is all beause of a court desion in april over the voomhd lawsuit. The adress is keepamc.com i rember when time warner or att were going to loose nick programing. I saw a crawl on teen nick about it. I belive everyone sees the crawl and tv spots regardless of provider

I honestly think that Dish is underestimating how furious a lot of long time customers are becoming over these childish shenanigans. When I am forced to cancel and go to Direct, my "word of mouth" will extend to many, many others for the rest of my life.

By my estimation DISH stands to lose over $50,000.00 in lost revenue from myself alone in the years to come ($140 a month for 30 years). Multiply that times thousands of other like me and you have to wonder just how far they are willing to go to just to be a billy bad a**

SHAME ON DISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I honestly think that Dish is underestimating how furious a lot of long time customers are becoming over these childish shenanigans. When I am forced to cancel and go to Direct, my "word of mouth" will extend to many, many others for the rest of my life.

By my estimation DISH stands to lose over $50,000.00 in lost revenue from myself alone in the years to come ($140 a month for 30 years). Multiply that times thousands of other like me and you have to wonder just how far they are willing to go to just to be a billy bad a**

AMEN

AMEN +2

Good customers spend $140+ and some need more then one account $280+ and when dish pulled the $17 a box bs i was able to clean house and get almost all to jump to DTV.

rocket69 said:
Good customers spend $140+ and some need more then one account $280+ and when dish pulled the $17 a box bs i was able to clean house and get almost all to jump to DTV.

If a "good" customer is defined by how large their bill is then what am I with a $75.00/month bill...a bad customer?
If I could pay less and still have the programming I want I would...frankly save for baseball there really isn't anything on non broadcast that I can't do without...but I'm not the only person in the house

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

It's not easy leaving Dish. I was ready to cancel Dish on Friday and sign up with Bright House cable. After getting a Dish csr on the phone I asked what the last day of the current billing cycle was so I can schedule the cancellation and cable install and after asking 3 times I never got an answer. He asked me to explain why I was leaving and I said the programming dramas between Dish and networks and then the childish behavior of moving channels into the 9000s to punish them and he said they were moved due to low quality and I blasted him back with what about that stupid Oprah channel, countless shopping channels, etc. and he couldn't answer that one. Anyway, after about 5 minutes back and forth he said hold on I need to transfer you to another department. He couldn't have done that before spending 5 minutes defending their actions about channel moving? So I get transferred to Loyalty and had to start over again. I asked what the last day of the current billing cycle was so I can schedule the cancellation and cable install and he asked why and I explained all over again the issues with AMC, moving channels, etc. and got the same response about poor quality channels and AMC trying to raise rates too high. I asked again what the last day of the current billing cycle was so I can schedule the cancellation and cable install and he said please give us a chance to resolve the AMC programming renewal as they may work it out. He said let me give you HBO, Cinemax and Showtime free for 3 months plus a $10 per month credit for a year to show our appreciation for you being a good customer for 11 years. That deal was too good to pass on so I accepted. If they don't work out the AMC deal before Walking Dead begins in the fall then I can always look to change to cable but for now I am happy.

I wonder how much Dish is losing by making these retention offers to everyone trying to leave them.

Just looking at the $10/month for a year discount they offered, you could buy the series delayed a day after showing from someplace like iTunes for about $35, and still have more than $80 saved. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Even if you wanted all 5 original shows the cost to buy them would be less than the total value of the discounts and free HBO/SHO/Max. So it still is a decent deal and a viable way to still get what you want.