DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

classic cartoon fan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 3, 2006
Preble County, Ohio
My fear is that this "trend" of rising cost by the networks will just continue on. Now, what is Dish going to do? Drop every network anytime it tries to negotiate a price increase? How many times are we to put up with Dish "saving us money" by dropping the network and going to court? Whether these networks are charging to much to begin with, that's the price that was agreed upon in the beginning. So as in any business, when it's time to sign a new contract, it's time to hit for a price increase. If you rent an apartment or house, 99% of the time, at the end of your lease, your rent goes up. Now you can either pay the new price, or move out...You're not going to get anything "extra" in added to your dwelling just because the rent increase.

My point is that Charlie has to start learning how to negotiate, not just drop the network and hope he can win another law suite. His track record on winning doesn't seem to be the greatest.

Ghpr13:(

Exactly! And wouldn't Dish end up paying more in court and lawyer fees anyway esp if they lose? While at the same time screwing me, you, and ever Dish customer.

downriver

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 16, 2005
Horse Creek, CA
I had a chat online with Dish a week or so ago over the demise of Sundance....I have to say that they were to say the least disingenuous..the line was that AMC was making "Outrageous demands". They offered a $5 a month credit for a year...for the loss of "one channel"..that is the disingenuous part.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Exactly! And wouldn't Dish end up paying more in court and lawyer fees anyway esp if they lose? While at the same time screwing me, you, and ever Dish customer.

There is no court case if Dish decides not to carry a channel, no cost. Voom is separate case with different elements than Dish just not carrying a channel. Going with your way of thinking about it, Direct TV, and other cable carriers are also screwing us by not just paying what a provider wants, as we speak Direct TV is not carrying channels do to cost. Just to be clear in no way do I feel screwed when Dish does not pay what a provider asks without negotiating and getting the cost less. AMC is a combination of spite from Dish for which Dish is to blame, and AMC demanding all channels be carried whether Dish wants to or not, and raising cost even according to AMC itself by alot to get to where they think they should be. You are making an assumption when given these same conditions other carriers won't also not agree when their contracts come up.

romans8:28

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 29, 2008
Not to mention he's any providers wet dream at $140 per month.

?????????

I thought I was being extremely conservative to apply $140 per month when looking out on a 30 year horizon. I pay a little over 100 a month now and have been with DISH for over a decade, inflation alone should bring up the number. Being a rural household, I could easily see using satellite TV for several more decades.

Am I really looking at things wrong?

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Content providers and carriers want you to look at things that way. "Yes sir, may I have another?"

ltownsend

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2007
Coral Springs, FL
?????????

I thought I was being extremely conservative to apply $140 per month when looking out on a 30 year horizon. I pay a little over 100 a month now and have been with DISH for over a decade, inflation alone should bring up the number. Being a rural household, I could easily see using satellite TV for several more decades.

Am I really looking at things wrong?

Too conservative IMO - with satellite services getting into more service offerings the pricing will ultimately go up not down.

mike1977

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 13, 2011
Alabama
It's not easy leaving Dish. I was ready to cancel Dish on Friday and sign up with Bright House cable. After getting a Dish csr on the phone I asked what the last day of the current billing cycle was so I can schedule the cancellation and cable install and after asking 3 times I never got an answer. He asked me to explain why I was leaving and I said the programming dramas between Dish and networks and then the childish behavior of moving channels into the 9000s to punish them and he said they were moved due to low quality and I blasted him back with what about that stupid Oprah channel, countless shopping channels, etc. and he couldn't answer that one. Anyway, after about 5 minutes back and forth he said hold on I need to transfer you to another department. He couldn't have done that before spending 5 minutes defending their actions about channel moving? So I get transferred to Loyalty and had to start over again. I asked what the last day of the current billing cycle was so I can schedule the cancellation and cable install and he asked why and I explained all over again the issues with AMC, moving channels, etc. and got the same response about poor quality channels and AMC trying to raise rates too high. I asked again what the last day of the current billing cycle was so I can schedule the cancellation and cable install and he said please give us a chance to resolve the AMC programming renewal as they may work it out. He said let me give you HBO, Cinemax and Showtime free for 3 months plus a $10 per month credit for a year to show our appreciation for you being a good customer for 11 years. That deal was too good to pass on so I accepted. If they don't work out the AMC deal before Walking Dead begins in the fall then I can always look to change to cable but for now I am happy.

I wonder how much Dish is losing by making these retention offers to everyone trying to leave them.

Low quality haha...yeah right. Kind of funny it happened as soon as AMC started their message about Dish dropping them.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Low quality haha...yeah right. Kind of funny it happened as soon as AMC started their message about Dish dropping them.

I would bet it didn't come about all of a sudden when we first read about that response from Dish. This has to have been going on for quite sometime, that is the dispute about having to carry the other channels to get AMC. I believe it's the other channels and the demand to carry them that dish is talking about, not the AMC channel specifically. As someone in the other forum pointed out, Dish probably offered more money maybe even close to what AMC asked for , if they did not have to carry all the other channels. Dish has been against this before, MSG/Fuse and Voom for example. The difference is because Dish is upset at AMC they have made these comments they should not have. Very likely they have had similar discussions with other groups of channels, we just don't know about it.

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
I know you're not making the claim but Dish...

What does 'low quality' have to do with 'moving' the channel? My understanding was the channel didn't really get moved. Aren't most channels in the 9000's anyway, and get 'mapped down' to the lower numbers? So when you put in 131, it's really directing you to 9609? It's not like there's two copies of every channel on the satellite.

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
I know you're not making the claim but Dish...

What does 'low quality' have to do with 'moving' the channel? My understanding was the channel didn't really get moved. Aren't most channels in the 9000's anyway, and get 'mapped down' to the lower numbers? So when you put in 131, it's really directing you to 9609? It's not like there's two copies of every channel on the satellite.

Yes it did indeed get moved and,until there was quite an uproar there wasn't even a re-direct channel on 131.If I'm not mistaken it wasn't on 9609 until they pulled it from 130.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)