DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

In other words, Dish execs have resigned themselves to getting their arses handed to them in court. In order to partially offset some of their 1B+ losses, and to further piss in VOOMs wheaties, they are going to drop all the AMC channels and replace them with crap channels costing them pennies on the dollar. The sad part is that Dish customers will wind up paying for VOOM (and now the lack of AMC) just because Dish signed a bad contract, violated contract law, and was later sanctioned by the court after destroying evidence. Also, should Dish lose their upcoming trial to VOOM (a very likely outcome), you can bet your sweet bippy that Cablevision will demonstrate to the court that the AMC channels were dropped by Dish in retaliation and should be considered by the court when awarding punitive damaged. This affair may wind up costing Dish a lot more than I first imaged. We shall see.

Hearing that dish erased important information from their hard drives? Does not bode
well for them.

While I have been a top tier customer for dish for years, this constant fighting
with programmers is getting old.
The dish Voom debacle still irritates the hell out of me.
The Voom issue is not dead.

Dish probably
knows that they are in the wrong. So, In response they are
going after the Rainbows suite of channels. Makes zero sense.
Piss off Rainbow and alienate your loyal subs?

Love to see Dish go after HBO? Guess not, probably is
a sweet deal for Charley.

I watch G4, the last episode of XPlay that had the short movie for Ghost Recon Alpha as terrific! I hope they make it a full length feature in addition to the game.

As to AMC, if DISH drops it then I will most definately cut back on my programming. AMC not a favorite channel but I watch it enough to want it be kept in the line up. And VOOM used to be one of my favorites until it got cut. Booo! Hope someone at DISH is reading this.

Back before TCM, AMC was the channel I watched. Then they lost the classic movies, started sticking commercials in what they had and I virtually have not watched it since. ANd the spin off channels, never watched. Bottom line: So what, I won't miss them.

Here is some insight. AMC is apparantly asking for a hefty increase, more than I would have thought up to 3X the amount though not necessarily quite that much. (read the article) The problem with the comparison of AMC with other lower rated channels who get more money in the article is they are all news and sports channels. Many believe they are overpriced as is, so that to me doesn't help AMC at all. Plus love they were compared to a very new sports channel, and one that would have little or less interest to many certain times of the year.

DISH Network Says It Will Ax AMC When Its Carriage Agreement Ends on June 30 | Adweek

As I said AMC and IFC are classic cases of channels that left their namesake behind to keep from going under. They're in with the likes of MTV, Science Channel, Planet Green, Syfy (with their wrestling), and the list goes on.
It's more than just the wrestling...they removed all science and fiction content and replaced it with fantasy. Dumbed down for the masses.

Well, I like Dish, and I'm glad I have the Hopper, but I too am getting tired of always facing the possibility of losing channels. The channels Dish offered when I signed up was one of the main reasons I chose them over DirecTv. I know Charlie always saying he's doing this for his subscribers, but at times I feel like he thinks he can take his own "sword of justice" to a gunfight and come out on top every time, rather than a more diplomatic way of addressing these problems. The world has changed when it comes to being able to get the media you wanted just from your TV or newspaper. Charlie needs to face this because these battles are just going to continue on.
Ghpr13:)

To tell you the truth, the only thing I ever watched on Sci-Fi was Sliders when it moved over from FOX. I never watched Syfy.
I had been watching it way back when they showed re-runs of Six Million Dollar Man way back in the mid-90s...Sliders was probably one of the last shows I watched on it as well.

Here is some insight. AMC is apparantly asking for a hefty increase, more than I would have thought up to 3X the amount though not necessarily quite that much. (read the article) The problem with the comparison of AMC with other lower rated channels who get more money in the article is they are all news and sports channels. Many believe they are overpriced as is, so that to me doesn't help AMC at all. Plus love they were compared to a very new sports channel, and one that would have little or less interest to many certain times of the year.

DISH Network Says It Will Ax AMC When Its Carriage Agreement Ends on June 30 | Adweek

One thing to keep in mind is that with sports channels, if they're carrying any of your teams' games at all, they are almost must-carry for a sports fan. I mean, sure, NBCSC might not have much that's good on outside of hockey season, but a Capitals or a Rangers fan is going to have a hard time calling himself a fan if he misses tonight's big game 7 playoff game that determines who goes home for the year and who advances to the eastern conference finals for anything short of having a heart attack and needing to go to the emergency room. And, yeah, NFLN might be boring for most of the year, but most NFL fans watch every regular season game their team plays (because they're just once a week 16 times a year, in contrast to other sports where even die-hard fans don't usually watch every game), and if the team is on that network once or twice a year, plus some key other big games they want to see, that channel becomes must carry. And sports are, by most people, considered things that need to be seen live.

You look at something like AMC, and I can totally get why people want to see the latest Mad Men as soon as it comes out, but in the end you can catch up on a season through Netflix or whatever and get the same enjoyment level if you have patience, and that's demonstrated I think by sales of the show on i-tunes and amazon, and rental rates on Netflix. Same with old movies (Which are already old when they make it to AMC). Very few people want to see last month's hockey game, though.

To tell you the truth, the only thing I ever watched on Sci-Fi was Sliders when it moved over from FOX. I never watched Syfy.

Yeah, Sliders was a favorite of mine, too, especially the first two seasons on FOX. FOX kind of messed up season three, and than SyFy kind of messed up seasons 4 and 5, but even with all the changes to format of the show, creative changes, cast changes, budget changes (That last season or two looked like it was filmed with a camcorder on sets that were 1/3 scale); it still remained very watchable. The first two seasons were brilliant, some of my favorite stuff of all time. After that it was only alright, but good enough I would have loved to have seen a season 6 and 7.

Seems like it'd be about the right time to do a remake, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Well, I like Dish, and I'm glad I have the Hopper, but I too am getting tired of always facing the possibility of losing channels. The channels Dish offered when I signed up was one of the main reasons I chose them over DirecTv. I know Charlie always saying he's doing this for his subscribers, but at times I feel like he thinks he can take his own "sword of justice" to a gunfight and come out on top every time, rather than a more diplomatic way of addressing these problems. The world has changed when it comes to being able to get the media you wanted just from your TV or newspaper. Charlie needs to face this because these battles are just going to continue on.
Ghpr13:)
Exactly how much has Charlie saved the Dish subs over the years with these crusades of his? How much less are Dish subs paying in comparison to other providers? Don't be fooled, Charlie is only in it for himself and, I guess the company execs, NOT the subscriber. I am just amazed as to how many Dish subs are willing to keep putting up with all this BS year after year...I mean is Dish really that much better than DirecTV or cable???

Exactly how much has Charlie saved the Dish subs over the years with these crusades of his? How much less are Dish subs paying in comparison to other providers? Don't be fooled, Charlie is only in it for himself and, I guess the company execs, NOT the subscriber. I am just amazed as to how many Dish subs are willing to keep putting up with all this BS year after year...I mean is Dish really that much better than DirecTV or cable???

YES! You can answer your own question by going to the different provider sites as many of us do. Dish is at this moment package for package (as close as you can compare packages) and receivers with fees at least up to three, is less than just about anyone with at very least as many HD non sports channels and usually more. They have more international programming and few little things that I really like. (Superstations, EuroNews, JVJapan free for news, AAD available, etc.. etc...) From reading posts it seems they also are easier to get an upgrade than with Direct though the Hopper seemed more hit and miss though it appears costs less to get and to have than the Direct whole home, but I have no first hand experience. Better is subjective. Direct TV is very good as we all know especially if Sports it very important to you,(Though Dish has somewhat caught up) it just costs more generally. To me better than most any cable. If Fios cost less I vote them with a good overall service. So yes, by not carrying the NY very expensive RSN's, by not spending a fortune on NFL Sunday, and by not just paying what the programmers want we are paying less. And yes, the downside is losing a channel usually just for a short time, but much longer for some. In the present economy I need the Dish business plan.

Last edited:
HanoverPretzel said:
Seems like it'd be about the right time to do a remake, wouldn't it?
Yes, like you said, pick it up from the end of season 2. The idea behind alternate histories is what got me hooked. Especially the episodes when the astroid nearly destroyed earth, and the episode with the plague when Alturo creates penicillin.

Sliders after season 2: classic case of pandering to the lowest common denominator of the masses. Even season 2 was dramatically reduced in quality from the first season's 10 episodes.

If AMC gets dropped, I hope it triggers the same exact thing that happened to netflix. Customers are pretty much saying that they will switch to another company.
Is there a way to do some sort of count/vote/ poll thing where we can ask how many of us would drop dish if this happens?
As consumers we are in control. I don't need extra channels. Like I need another 3 channels to watch monk on.
I am sorry, but I am so angry about this.
Joe

Talk about a massive thread derailment. Sliders??? OMG! Oh well, this thread was circling the drain anyway.;)

Talk about a massive thread derailment. Sliders??? OMG! Oh well, this thread was circling the drain anyway.;)

Maybe there's an alternate universe out there where Dish has signed a 20 year contract with AMC, has NBC Sports Channel on a lower tier, and is still carrying all the regional sports networks. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts