DISH Drops AMC Networks (AMC Back on DISH channel 131)

I asked what happened to Sundance on the Facebook Dish page and got an IM from a Dish CSR apologizing for removing it but said I have plenty of alternatives. Free Previews
o Blockbuster @Home subscription which continues to provide you with even more great programming and movie channels like MGM, HDNet Movies, Movieplex, Epix 1 & Epix 2
o Premium Movie Channels: HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime

So I can subscribe to another package at an additional fee for more options. I thought that was funny. I simply want to know when and if they will be replacing these channels as they remove them. If they are replaced by something of equal value great, no worries. If not will we see a rate decrease? I will miss AMC and IFC but can watch my favorite episodes of their shows over the internet after they air.

Well looks like it has begun.Unless Dish can get rainbow to drop the voom suit I bet we lose all of the rainbow channels.I gotta agree with those complaining about the loss of sundance and no (quality) replacement.Charlie said they would offer replacements so where is it at?

Well looks like it has begun.Unless Dish can get rainbow to drop the voom suit I bet we lose all of the rainbow channels.I gotta agree with those complaining about the loss of sundance and no (quality) replacement.Charlie said they would offer replacements so where is it at?
Never was said anything about immediate replacement.

Never was said anything about immediate replacement.

This is a quote from the dish response article.

Dish will make alternative high-value channels available to our customers as replacements."

Naturally one would assume that if you remove a channel and you make a statement as above there should be a high value alternative/replacement in its place.To me this makes Charlie seem to be fibbing a bit.

One question and one comment.

Considering that Sundance originated as part of the Showtime package, could it be possible that its contract ran out at a different time than AMC, IFC and WE?

Although cable outlets in my area give Flix away as part of standard digital cable, Dish never has. Dish also never gave Sundance away to BB@Home customers until Showtime ceased affiliation with it. So I don't see Flix being a replacement. I don't know of any true alternate to Sundance. In fact the only replacement I can see is the third Lifetime channel for WE.

This should be solved as quickly as the FX/NatGeo debacle, but I REALLY hope it doesn't turn into a FUSE situation (not that I really miss that channel at all), The Walking dead premieres in Sept or Oct.

This should be solved as quickly as the FX/NatGeo debacle, but I REALLY hope it doesn't turn into a FUSE situation (not that I really miss that channel at all), The Walking dead premieres in Sept or Oct.

Even though Dish denies the dropping of these channels isn't tied to to the Voom lawsuit I can't help but believe otherwise.If thats the case until that lawsuit is resolved those channels won't be returning anytime soon.

One question and one comment.

Considering that Sundance originated as part of the Showtime package, could it be possible that its contract ran out at a different time than AMC, IFC and WE?

Although cable outlets in my area give Flix away as part of standard digital cable, Dish never has. Dish also never gave Sundance away to BB@Home customers until Showtime ceased affiliation with it. So I don't see Flix being a replacement. I don't know of any true alternate to Sundance. In fact the only replacement I can see is the third Lifetime channel for WE.

I felt that Sundance was becoming more like the old IFC while IFC was becoming more focused on pop culture or popular movies. This link somewhat helps in my feelings on the two channels: http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/commercials-comedies-ifc-art-house-flicks/147520/

Here are a few movies playing on Flix this week that have IFC links:

1. Igby Goes Down
2. Sex, Lies, and Videotape
3. Ed Wood
4. Manderlay
5. Baada#####!
6. Blue in the Face
7. Rogue Trader
8. Smoke Signals
9. eXistenZ
10. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
11. Dancing at the Blue Iguana
12. Dummy
13. Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead
14. XX/XY
15. George Washington
16. Scary Movie 2
17. Cecil B. Demented
18. Narc
19. The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course
20. Brassed Off
21. Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights
22. Dust to Glory
23. Stage Beauty

Last edited:
This is a quote from the dish response article.

Naturally one would assume that if you remove a channel and you make a statement as above there should be a high value alternative/replacement in its place.To me this makes Charlie seem to be fibbing a bit.

Again...and again...never said when, least of all immediately. Just went off early this morning.:rolleyes:

Showtime probably isn't thrilled that Starz is available too, so I'm sure it doesn't really matter. But if Dish shows them the money, they'll work with them. Now I doubt that Dish will replace Sundance if it does get pulled, but you never know. As far as the other three AMC channels, Dish will probably move three channels from AT250 down to the AT200 package to replace them. I don't see Dish picking up any new channels since I'm sure they're counting on the drop in viewership adversely affecting AMC ad revenue. Thus bringing AMC back at what Dish is offering.

This is what I meant when I said that I doubt Showtime would be willing to allow Dish (due to the carriage of the Epix channels) to put Flix in the place of Sundance Channel for now: Showtime Rattled By Rival EPIX Arrival - Deadline.com

Sundance used to be a good channel for independent & short films when it was part of the Showtime package. IFC also used to be good. Now they both increasingly show reality junk, syndicated commercial trash, & mainstream films readily available on USA, TNT, or FX. Today, neither channel is too different from Bravo or FX. I blame Dish for dropping them, but ultimately I won't miss either one since Rainbow/AMC destroyed the programming on the channels first.

IMO, no channel has become such a far cry from the great channel it once was as Bravo. It's 24/7 crap-fest of the same reality shows, just with different names. I would jump for joy if they dropped that channel. Of course my wife would be p*ss because she loves everyone of those shows and records them all. I leave the TV room every time she starts to watch them. (If ever I divorce her, I'm using the fact that she's so into those show to prove she's mentally abusing me!);)

Ghpr13:)

Again...and again...never said when, least of all immediately. Just went off early this morning.:rolleyes:

Yea I know it just went off this morning.Dish knew they were going to remove it this morning so why no replacement at the ready?So I suppose Dish is in the clear if they add a suitable replacement sometime between now and next year.Who knows maybe they will make Smithsonian available on the Wed.uplink but I wouldn't count on it.

Is FLIX in HD?
No. But Sundance wasn't in HD either. Based on the current lineup cards, the lost channels aren't being replaced with anything. My guess is complainers will get a few months of the BB@Home channels for free. According to your contract, they aren't obligated to replace dropped channels at all.

I have to agree with Teehar.

From Dish Network?s deal with AMC joins the walking dead - Denver Business Journal

“Our decision to drop AMC Networks’ channels is solely dependent on their high renewal cost when compared to their low viewership,” said Bob Toevs, Dish Network spokesman, in an email. “Dish will make alternative high-value channels available to our customers as replacements.”

This is what I meant when I said that I doubt Showtime would be willing to allow Dish (due to the carriage of the Epix channels) to put Flix in the place of Sundance Channel for now: Showtime Rattled By Rival EPIX Arrival - Deadline.com
Very interesting. I never knew this little bit of information. Thank you for the link. That being said, I still don't think that Dish will directly replace Sundance, or even find another channel to fill the gap at all. For one, neither Fearnet or Smithsonian have the same type of programming. And two, BB@Home is still a pretty good value without Sundance and still includes other channels that have some alternate type of programming.

Last edited:
I don't want to be the position to support Dish on this one, while I buy the higher cost for a very low level of channels, I believe the swiftness and seemingly finality of dropping AMC channels is directly in response to the lawsuit. BUT..... (you knew that was coming....) it does take time to get new channels signed, and the Sundance channel contract ended quite quickly. So a little time to give Dish a chance to get channels to replace the AMC ones is a little understandable. If Dish wants to minimize whatever fallout there is, they will get a couple of channels people want or have been asking for, or that for one reason or another other providers don't carry or only carry at the highest packages, even if not comparable in programming. BBC comes to mind as an example. For some of us, just let us get the International $5 packages. I'll take that over all the AMC channels.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts