Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

IF DISNEY is allowed to get away with the double payment for both SD and HD feeds of the SAME damn channel , how long till all channel providers want the same double payments , effectively doubling your satellite bill over night? DISH is standing up to them and I support them & Charlie Ergen . I don't care if I ever get hd feeds of DISNEY back EVER. They are greedy as hell and the ESPN portion of their empire is the other reason we pay higher cable and satellite bills. Could care less if they drop all of those stations too.

Why don't Dish just pay Disney what they want and the HD channels will be back in a flash? I really don't mind paying more for my service as long as all my channels are there. But until either Dish or Disney say UNCLE this fight will just go on and on forever.

Because then every other provider will try to pull the same thing and double the prices on everything.

Rates go up every year weather there is a channel dispute or not so what you are saying is bull. I too would like Dish to just pay to get the HD channels back. This is going from last year and our bills still went up.

If you are willing to pay double for what we now pay once for, I don't believe you. Saying costs go up is irrelevant to this very specific thing Disney wants. Read the posts, this is not about Disney simply raising rates.

Rates go up every year weather there is a channel dispute or not so what you are saying is bull. I too would like Dish to just pay to get the HD channels back. This is going from last year and our bills still went up.

I think you've missed the whole point. Rates going up over time is one thing. But what happens when all providers charge twice (once for the SD feed and again for the HD feed). Currently no other providers are doing of which anyone is aware. Disney seems to be using Dish as a test case. What do you think will happen to rates if everyone does this?

If DISNEY succeeds in jacking rates for DISH ,by charging twice for the same channels in hd and sd , just imagine what they will pull on Directv and cable. It would mean the END of Free HD for LIFE for all DISH subs . I said before , the time for HD as premium was 5 years ago. Now HD is the norm , not the exception. I would spin DISNEY off into it's own premium pack if I was DISH and let those subs who want it pay for it. I feel the same way for their partner ESPN sports channels too. If you want it you can pay for it , but don't expect all subs to subsidize the cost .

I think Disney should become a Premium pack I would subscribe to it only if it it is ad free like Disney Channel use to be in the 80's and early 90's. It was great then. If they do make it a premium pack but still have ads like Disney XD does, annoying car insurance ads etc then I will not subscribe to it.

Disney will never entertain that thought again, or let anybody make them go to a separate tier. They're killing everybody as it is, so there's no incentive to do it. Every cable and sat company would have to go at them at the same time for that to succeed. Their clout now is in every media category, not just kid's stuff like 20 years ago.

I'm actually 100% fine with Disney charging separately for the HD channel and the SD channel. HOWEVER, I would want them to agree to provide their channels in packages where these channels were separated. In other words, I will gladly pay once for the HD channel as I have zero desire to watch anything on the SD version of the same channel. Give me a package where I get ONLY the HD versions of any channel that has one and the SD channels that do not have HD equivalents and only make me pay for what I'm getting.

I'm actually 100% fine with Disney charging separately for the HD channel and the SD channel. HOWEVER, I would want them to agree to provide their channels in packages where these channels were separated. In other words, I will gladly pay once for the HD channel as I have zero desire to watch anything on the SD version of the same channel. Give me a package where I get ONLY the HD versions of any channel that has one and the SD channels that do not have HD equivalents and only make me pay for what I'm getting.

I am just guessing, but I would guess that Disney wont allow that either (in the contract). The problem with this is that it seems to be the first domino; first Dish pays for separate feeds (HD/SD), then Disney will want the other providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc) to do the same, then the other networks will want the same (networks with multiple channels like Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) from all providers (including Dish and DirecTV). And, just like they currently do, they will probably insist on which packages the channels go in (they have to have the viewership to charge for advertising, so every channel cannot end up in an "a la cart" package). So, there is a lot at stake here if Dish loses....

Totally agree with your comment, was just pointing out that they are talking out of both sides of their mouth - ie we want you (dish and the consumer) to pay for these channels separately "because they are different" yet we want you to consolidate them in the same low tier packages (so we can get the most viewers on them).

If we follow this line of reasoning from Disney, should 3D get off the ground (and I hope it doesn't) Disney would then think that it should be paid to carry all three versions for the same reruns of shows that my kids get to see all the time.

I am just guessing, but I would guess that Disney wont allow that either (in the contract). The problem with this is that it seems to be the first domino; first Dish pays for separate feeds (HD/SD), then Disney will want the other providers (DirecTV, Comcast, etc) to do the same, then the other networks will want the same (networks with multiple channels like Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) from all providers (including Dish and DirecTV). And, just like they currently do, they will probably insist on which packages the channels go in (they have to have the viewership to charge for advertising, so every channel cannot end up in an "a la cart" package). So, there is a lot at stake here if Dish loses....

My question is when will SD go away for good? I can understand small, local stations still programming in SD, but really everything else should be broadcast in HD. If I don't have an HDTV, and CBS broadcast Hawaii 5-O in HD, won't I still see it but in SD? (I'm talking OTA.)
Can't providers like Dish just refuse to broadcast an SD signal, when there's a HD signal that is the same? Maybe I'm not seeing everything here...but I just can't understand why providers like Dish feel they need to broadcast both signals. Please explain to me if I off base with my thinking.

Ghpr13:)

this is i want to see if you have a HD Channel onto dish network get rid of their sd companions that you have room for more HD Channels

There are still a lot of SD TVs out there. People don't like a letterboxed picture or a picture where the top/bottm/sides are cut off.

I'll put my vote in for a 24/7 HD Phineas and Ferb channel... that's just about the only viewable program in their entire lineup, and given the choice, the only Disney channel I'd sub to.

Dish Network Set Up in RV

Cooling fans for Hoppers? (Under the unit type)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)