Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

I understand there are principles involved here, but it sure seems like Dish may end up spending more to defend this issue than if they just settled. That's not even taking into account potential lost revenues by not having these channels in HD.... :eek:

This is a just a pissing contest at this point. Had Dish let the ESPNU matter go, then the rest of this more than likely wouldn't have happened. Lesson hopefully learned.

And am I correct, Dish brought the case to the NY courts. ESPN is based in NYC. I know that shouldn't mean anything, but we all know it does.

Dish should chalk it up as a lesson learned and assess their fauture with this company. Either pay to get this programming back for your customers, or tell Disney to screw and pull the plug.

As a parent I know if they choose the latter, I couldn't explain to my young children why they can't watch their shows.

As a parent I know if they choose the latter, I couldn't explain to my young children why they can't watch their shows.
Sounds like a good opportunity to explain basic economics and why greed isn't always good. But, I don't have children so I know nothing. :D

I understand there are principles involved here, but it sure seems like Dish may end up spending more to defend this issue than if they just settled. That's not even taking into account potential lost revenues by not having these channels in HD.... :eek:

I agree. Dish has way to many gentlemans disgreements. :D

DISH spent YEARS and MILLIONS on fighting the Tivo lawsuit and they still lost. If history is any indicator they will continue to do more of the same and lose even more . But in this particular case , I think DISH is correct and they shouldn't have to pay for both SD and HD versions of the same channels. If this is allowed to stand ,then all other cable channels will want the same deal and that would cause your monthly bill to double over night. iF that happens there will be a lot of cord cutting over night. This one action could threaten the very model that both satellite and cable use .

GREED is a KILLER.:eek:

DISH spent YEARS and MILLIONS on fighting the Tivo lawsuit and they still lost. If history is any indicator they will continue to do more of the same and lose even more . But in this particular case , I think DISH is correct and they shouldn't have to pay for both SD and HD versions of the same channels. If this is allowed to stand ,then all other cable channels will want the same deal and that would cause your monthly bill to double over night. iF that happens there will be a lot of cord cutting over night. This one action could threaten the very model that both satellite and cable use . GREED is a KILLER.:eek:
I don't understand how EVERY OTHER PAY-TV PROVIDER can work a deal out with Disney over HD/SD fees but Dish can't. Dish is a rather big player compared to everyone other than DirectTV and Comcast. Yet even smaller, regional cabelco's have all of these Disney channels in both HD and SD and they don't seem to have a problem with it. I think Dish's contract lawyers screwed up and so Dish tried to pull a fast one and Disney wouldn't tolerate it. So now they'll pay Disney some big money and in turn Dish will raise fees or even create some new bs fees to cover their stupidity.

Well I'm all for E* continuing to to fight all the rip off S that Disney pulls. Disney are greediest bunch of providers out there. Screw them and all their products.

Mochuf said:
I don't understand how EVERY OTHER PAY-TV PROVIDER can work a deal out with Disney over HD/SD fees but Dish can't. Dish is a rather big player compared to everyone other than DirectTV and Comcast. Yet even smaller, regional cabelco's have all of these Disney channels in both HD and SD and they don't seem to have a problem with it. I think Dish's contract lawyers screwed up and so Dish tried to pull a fast one and Disney wouldn't tolerate it. So now they'll pay Disney some big money and in turn Dish will raise fees or even create some new bs fees to cover their stupidity.

I couldn't agree more. Here is something I find interesting from the quarterly report....at the very end it states that they intend to appeal the verdict of the jury from New York from Oct 2011. How long before you file the appeal and get on with the litigation or as many have said, settle outside of court and quit wasting millions of dollars on worthless filing and attorney fees?? It seems to me that Dish is grasping at straws especially if you go and read the ruling from the court.....sounds like Dish's contract attorneys dropped the ball. I found some articles and a PDF of the filings.

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202520106987

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/comdiv/lawreport/Vol13_No1/Gammerman-Echostar.pdf

Sounds like a good opportunity to explain basic economics and why greed isn't always good. But, I don't have children so I know nothing. :D
Yep, I had to do that when Discovery Kids went the way of the Hub. All of her cool educational shows disappeared and were replaced by Hasbro product commercials masquerading as TV shows.

Again, I don't have kids, so I know nothing, but... from what I've seen lately of Disney and ABC Family, if I did have kids these channels would NOT be something they're allowed to watch.

My 9-year-old daughter started watching Disney, to my chagrin. At least most of the shows she likes seem pretty harmless, and I monitor what she is watching. The only thing I don't like about most of the Disney shows is the constant whiny, bratty behavior of many of the kid characters. And that the parental figures in these shows are usually out of the picture. :(

I noticed that ESPNEWS (ch. 142) is no longer the SD-feed. The channel is SD, but they're actually displaying the HD-feed so you get black bars all around and a small picture b/c of the 16/9 aspect ratio shoehorned into the 4x3 SD display. Makes reading the ticker kinda hard from across the room. That's the only channel in dispute that I watch regularly (and the only SD channel at all in my guide) so this is kind of a bummer. Really, really, hope that this gets resolved someday...

I noticed that ESPNEWS (ch. 142) is no longer the SD-feed. The channel is SD, but they're actually displaying the HD-feed so you get black bars all around and a small picture b/c of the 16/9 aspect ratio shoehorned into the 4x3 SD display. Makes reading the ticker kinda hard from across the room. That's the only channel in dispute that I watch regularly (and the only SD channel at all in my guide) so this is kind of a bummer. Really, really, hope that this gets resolved someday...

I see this on alot on my DISH SD? channels,we have local channels OTA that do the same thing(show a 4:3 HD signal).;):D

But all my channels mostly come from 129(WA).;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts