Dish HD vs Disney (DISH sort of won...)

Well, it would be nice if we had data for the past 3 decades to do a real regression, but it seems to me that the rate for ESPN is not just continuously increasing by a fixed percentage, but that that percentage keeps increasing. That is the point. The raise of the rates is not linear.

No, he said it right. A constant slope (steadily rising costs) vs. an increasing slope (derivative is increasing, and is not constant).

No he did not say "increasingly positive slope"! What he meant to say is that the derivative was BOTH positive AND increasing, meaning that the time rate of change of carriage fees is going up all the time (though not exponentially). A "not constant" derivative could also mean it's positive, zero, or negative, and either increasing, or decreasing. Isn't calculus fun?

I love calculus...too bad I'm too far removed from it to discuss it intelligently and with proper terminology. :)

And that's the way it should be. :D
Time to pay their fare share.

Now what about the many people out there that want to be able to watch ESPN at a somewhat affordable price? You have to keep some bundled packages for people who want a good variety at a good price.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/dish-netwo...rn-retransmission-talks-disney-180954491.html

Dish Network‘s carriage deal with Disney to keep carrying its ABC stations and cable services including ESPN and the Disney Channel will have to be renewed later this year, and some analysts wonder whether talks will run aground: ABC is one of the major networks suing Dish for violating their copyrights with its Hopper DVR, which can automatically zap their ads on time-shifted shows. But Dish execs say that they aren’t concerned. “I would not expect them to take (ABC) down,” CEO Joe Clayton told analysts today. “Normally greed prevails. There’ll be a discussion and a win-win for both companies.” Chairman Charlie Ergen added that, with the big outlays ESPN has made for sports programming rights, the loss of revenue from Dish’s 14.1M subscribers “would be a long term problem for Disney.”

Incoming rate hike for next year...

True and imo a big Price hike next year :)

I kind of hope it's gigantically huge so there can be a quicker coming to a head resolution of (1) having to have expensive sports in core packages and (2) ESPN writing blank checks to sports leagues with no consideration of what that begets. Let's see if a $10 - $15 increase brings out the cord cutters. I'll be one of them even though I've been lucky and worked hard and could pay for it.

Did anyone see the headline on the right saying DISH to write down $46.million in U.K. Blockbuster? Looks like they will be closing down all the Blockbusters in England. I see a similar headline in our country by years end or early next year.

Dish: We'll Keep ESPN, Disney
By Swanni
Washington, D.C. (February 21, 2013) -[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Dish executives yesterday said they expect to be able to negotiate a new carriage deal with Disney, including ESPN, despite the fact the two companies are battling each other in two separate lawsuits.

The current carriage deal expires in September and some observers have wondered if Dish and Disney can peacefully negotiate a new one considering the acrimony expressed in the courtroom. Dish is suing Disney over an alleged violation of the current agreement regarding fees while Disney has sued Dish over the satcaster's ad-zapping Hopper HD DVR.

In addition, Disney won a lawsuit last year against Dish for dropping four high-def channels and then refusing to pay for them in violation of their carriage agreement.

But Dish CEO Joe Clayton and company chairman Charlie Ergen yesterday both offered relatively conciliatory statements towards Disney in an analyst call following the release of Dish's fourth quarter report.

Ergen said he expected "that both companies will find a workable solution," referring to a new carriage deal. Clayton added: "We are a big customer of Disney's. I would not expect them to take it down with the AutoHop (Hopper HD DVR) as the reason...That being said, anything can happen. But, normally, greed prevails and there'll be a discussion and it'll be a win-win for both companies."

Disney owns the ESPN suite of channels as well as some ABC affiliates and Disney theme channels such as The Disney Channel. Ergen noted that Disney needs Dish to carry ESPN to help offset the costs of programming purchased from the college and pro leagues.

"C[/FONT]
ontent going down is a lose-lose for both us and the content provider. Particularly in Disney's case," Ergen said.

In other issues discussed yesterday, Ergen said he believed that cord-cutting -- the dropping of cable and satellite TV services -- will increase in the coming years if monthly pay TV bills increase as well.

"I think cord cutting is going to -- is here to stay and will accelerate over time as monthly fees -- as people pay $1,000, $1,200, $1,500 a year for TV and they have other alternatives," Ergen said. "And one of the problems is that the video is available on the Internet. It may be a day later, it may be -- right? It may have less commercials or no commercials. And it comes in more of an a la carte form where you can kind of pick and choose."

Ergen is a rare executive at a pay TV service who publicly acknowledges that cord-cutting is for real; most of his colleagues say it's overrated and does not reflect the facts.

Clayton chimed in that the industry may be overlooking the 18-28 age category.

"
We believe there's a market, mostly 18- to 28-year-olds that we're missing today in the pay-TV industry," Clayton said. "They're not going to pay $100 per month for content, and they're not going to watch 250 channels. And most likely, they're not going to watch it on a 60-inch flat panel display. But they may pay let's say, $20 -- about $10 to $20. They may watch 20 channels, and they most certainly will watch it on their mobile phone, on their tablets and on their PCs. So it's a market that I believe, down the road, has a compelling interest not only for us, but for the programmers, especially as the pay-TV market matures going forward."

Clayton also said he expects that 4K TV, which purports to offer a resolution four times greater than current 1080p HDTVs, will face a "slow rollout" due to costs and other factors such as lack of programming.

Good stuff. And yes surprisingly honest quotes about chord cutting. Unlike the dispute with AMC Dish is going out of their way to not be negative with Disney. (As Scott has posted)

Good stuff. And yes surprisingly honest quotes about chord cutting. Unlike the dispute with AMC Dish is going out of their way to not be negative with Disney. (As Scott has posted)

Charlie stated he was tired of all the fighting after the AMC debacle.He sure seems to have softened his stance for the moment at least.

Good stuff. And yes surprisingly honest quotes about chord cutting.
Dude! There is no need to ruin your guitar! ;)
Unlike the dispute with AMC Dish is going out of their way to not be negative with Disney. (As Scott has posted)
AMC wants to be on Dish. ESPN has to be on Dish. Because ESPN is expensive, losing Dish carriage would be extremely costly to them! I think Ergen realizes that Dish losing ESPN is notably worse for Disney than it is for Dish, as Dish would at least save a decent amount in expenditures that could be turned around towards retention policies. Dish would lose subscribers, but Disney would lose a ton of revenue and a dangerous precedent could be set against them.

Dude! There is no need to ruin your guitar! ;)
AMC wants to be on Dish. ESPN has to be on Dish. Because ESPN is expensive, losing Dish carriage would be extremely costly to them! I think Ergen realizes that Dish losing ESPN is notably worse for Disney than it is for Dish, as Dish would at least save a decent amount in expenditures that could be turned around towards retention policies. Dish would lose subscribers, but Disney would lose a ton of revenue and a dangerous precedent could be set against them.

In the short run the loss of ESPN would cost Disney more than Dish because Dish has most customers tied into contracts, and can give the complainers $10/month to hold on while they negotiate. A long term/permanent loss would really hurt Dish, as many sports fans would eventually leave.

I'd pay an extra $5 or so more to get ALL my ESPN channels in HD - I'm wanting ESPNU in HD so bad I can taste it!!

Well it appears someone let our resident Virginia Tech fan out to go around disliking my posts because I disliked this one. :rolleyes: Oh well perhaps if they can beat a Big East team and get above .500 before their bowl game this year, he'll lighten up. ;)

Well it appears someone let our resident Virginia Tech fan out to go around disliking my posts because I disliked this one. :rolleyes: Oh well perhaps if they can beat a Big East team and get above .500 before their bowl game this year, he'll lighten up. ;)
Hey, as long as they play Duke, Virginia and North Carolina State, they'll do fine. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)