Dish just called me -- Free sling adapter?

To those that are wondering: Yes, when the first Dish Online product was released in late 2009 called DRA or Dish Remote Access, the stand alone slingbox support was added in 2010 with remote viewing support and then the sling adapter was released later in 2010. Then there was about two years or so where Dish slowly rebranded DRA to Dish Online and somewhere along the line, Dish management made the decision to removal all support for stand-alone slingboxes for the 'dish branded' remote access apps and websites. Dish pulled stand-alone slingbox support from the Android in 2011 and then in Q3 of 2012 for Apple iOS. Then at the end of 2012, everything has been rebranded again as Dish Anywhere.

For what it's worth, I also received the call offering me the free Sling Adapter and I accepted. I've been using it for a few days and while they've certainly improved the integration miles ahead of where they used to be, it's still really buggy in the iOS app (I haven't tested with Android yet as my iPhone is my primary device), particularly when I'm viewing the recorded shows list, in many cases, my recorded shows have no information about the show (it's just blank) but it does show data on the full Dish Anywhere website.

This is one of the reasons I stay with Dish. When things go bad, they usually offer up credits, roku boxes, sling adapters, etc. I can't think if any other company that has given me anything for free off the top of my head.

I have a SlingBox AV (very old, very SD ONLY) and received a call from Dish offering me a Sling Adapter also.

But, I already have a Sling Adapter, that's all right we'll send you another, badabing, badaboom it arrived yesterday, so I put it on the shelf.

I only have one ViP DVR so I can't use two, maybe when I finally succumb to Hopper fever and get my twin Hopper install, I can use both of them, until then it keeps the dust off the shelf proper.

I called them and I guess it's real. I have a SlingBox Pro (duo) on my 722 and a regular Slingbox Solo on my 622. They said that this would replace the Slingbox Solo on the 622.

I'll give it a shot and report back.

I had received an email from Dish Network today regarding the free Sling Adapter they wished to send me.

Questions;
  • Will the Sling Adapter work with the applications that I have already paid for and installed onto my phone & tablet (both Android)?
  • Do they require that the original Sling Box (in my case a Sling Box "Solo") be returned, or can I roll it down to my secondary ViP722?
  • Is there any additional charge (we all know how Dish Network loves to charge for additional features)?

Thanks,
Spence

Last edited:
I had received an email from Dish Network today regarding the free Sling Adapter they wished to send me.

Questions;
  • Will the Sling Adapter work with the applications that I have already paid for and installed onto my phone & tablet (both Android)?
  • Do they require that the original Sling Box (in my case a Sling Box "Solo") be returned, or can I roll it down to my secondary ViP722?
  • Is there any additional charge (we all know how Dish Network loves to charge for additional features)?

Thanks,
Spence

Answers. to question :
1 yes
2 no
3 no

Really for me question question 1 is unknown. But the app for Dish which is free. Works on the Sling adapter. So if you have another program which I believe was like 29.99. That will still work your Singbox. But the free app will only work on the Sling adapter. I got the email last night. Called them right away. Got a shipped email this morning. I will still use my slingbox and the adapter. They have different pros and cons depends on my needs at the time. To be honest the Slingbox gives a better picture on larger screens. On a phone or tablet the Sling adapter works just fine. I also saved the very last program you could download from Slingbox. It is not web based. I think it is version 2.04. After that I didn't like the interface. Had a 10 min. buffer instead of a hour or so and a few other cool features. Peace

I really wish you could record/transfer directly to an iPad rather than just stream. I'm hoping they will be able to add that feature at some point since they did on the Hopper.

I am confused. I have a slingbox from Dish (free a couple of years or so ago) that I use to watch programming remotely through the dishonline site on my 722. It works now and I haven't had any problems (other than a random not connected message) but I watched Daytona races at work on my computer with no problems 2 weeks ago. Is something about to go wrong? Should I be asking for a free replacement?

Now I must admit that I upgraded my service on Friday night so on Monday I'm getting a Hopper with built-in Sling. Still, I am confused about whether I could gift my slingbox to another Dish customer or someone else. Thanks.

I am confused. I have a slingbox from Dish (free a couple of years or so ago) that I use to watch programming remotely through the dishonline site on my 722. It works now and I haven't had any problems (other than a random not connected message) but I watched Daytona races at work on my computer with no problems 2 weeks ago. Is something about to go wrong? Should I be asking for a free replacement?

Now I must admit that I upgraded my service on Friday night so on Monday I'm getting a Hopper with built-in Sling. Still, I am confused about whether I could gift my slingbox to another Dish customer or someone else. Thanks.[/QUOT

If you got it from Dish, it was a Sling Adapter not a Slingbox. I am guessing it is read and has a red light on top with USB connector. Those still work fine. And slingbox's work fine. It's using the Dish app to access these devices that has changed. The Sling app will only work on the Sling Adapter and built in Sling on a few Dish receivers. I think the 922 and the Hopper. So I would say you are just Fine

Darn good question. Just sell the useless Sling Adapter and count yourself ahead of the game.

Dish just called me, asked how my sling adapter was working....

eh, I don't have one ...I do have an old slingbox pro that i haven't used in several months ?

The guy on the phone said customers have had issues with Dish Anywhere and they're sending out free slingbox adapters to valued customers. Mine shipped already, shows as an ordered accessory in my dish account, 2-day shipping.

Anybody else get this offer?
Its old, I got it almost a year ago.

I got a free one too. Stuck it on a shelf. Have a 722, 622, & 512, so the adapter is 1 for 3. Already have Sling Pro's on all the boxes.

I really like the flexibility to manage my boxes remotely (including archival to external HDD).

I've been using the stand-alone sling apps for months and didn't realize the Dishonline wasn't working anymore (even managed to get my Harmony fully functional with the web app by learning keys from an IR keyboard).

I suppose I'll jump on the Hopper bandwagon sooner or later, but believe it or not am still using my Pocketdish AV500E to watch some shows offline (I assume plugging a pocketdish into a Hopper would result in total confusion). These people need to understand that for many, remote Internet B/W is limited.

Now if they would add the ability to download shows to our smartphones/tablets for unconnected viewing (even if SD only) that could solve a huge problem.

Now if they would add the ability to download shows to our smartphones/tablets for unconnected viewing (even if SD only) that could solve a huge problem.

The new Hopper with Sling supports transferring shows to your iPad.

I've had a sling box hooked up to my 722 for years. Obviously it has stopped working with dishonline. I have never received a call for an upgrade! :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts