Dish losing satelites (warning 836)

blazinginder

Original poster
May 5, 2010
NJ
Hey guys I'd really appreciate your guys' help with this problem ive been having.

...basically my service goes in and out randomly for like couple hours or more at a time...and when it doesnt work I do the check switch and get a Warning 836 "Check Switch test has found fewer satellites than previously detected." and I've done the manual/hard reboot to the receiver as well which is a Dish 311 model

the receiver is essentially unable to find the 119 and 61.5 dishes (when I'm having the issues) and then randomly comes back on out of the blue....the weather has played no role IMO...I have a feeling its some type of faulty hardware, I think i may need to replace the dishes themselves and/or the SV21 switch...

Does anyone know what the problem is?

THANK YOU in advance guys, really appreciate it

Last edited:
You need your dish re-aligned. Call dish or a local retailers to get it fixed.

I have 2 dishes and I'm stuck on that acquiring signal screen at 0 of 5 (as it goes through transponders)....i dont think its the alignment as it be a really big coincidence for both to be out of alignment etc??

i ran a check switch and it came back saying "Check Switch test has found fewer satellites than previously detected." and it gives me the option to Save or Cancel (to keep old settings)

i tried doing "Save" yesterday and it basically changed the 119 and 61.5 in the matrix to 1 and 2, until it found the signal again later in the night, at which point it went back to 119 and 61.5

Blazinginder

You are not alone. I have been having the same trouble here in Michigan.
This started last couple of days. Missing timers and not able to aquire satellites.
Did several check switches and take forever to locate and download guides. I
really think it is on Dish Network end. I also have two satellite dishes. One looking at 61.5 and one looking at 110, 119, and 129.

thanks for the insite lakebum431....you could be right, but wouldnt the alignment on both my dishes (have 2, one for domestic the other for international) have to be incorrectly aligned for me not to get either to work? (by all means correct me if I'm wrong) ...hence i think it could more likely be the other thing you said the LNB

Hey guys. I was having a similar issue when I reaimed a satellite dish and thought I was clearing the top of a tree. I wasn't. When the wind was still I was getting a reasonable signal. But if there was the slightest breeze, the branches would waive in front of the signal path blocking it just enough to knock out the picture. When I got a little sprinkle the branches would sag just enough to kill any hope of getting signal.

So my guess is you were aiming above or next to a tree that grew just enough to give you this headache.

Tony...its dark out now, but ill take your advice and double check tomorrow morning that the dishes are clearing any trees/branches that might be nearby...appreciate the input

SW21 is a Legacy switch exposed to the weather for a few years. Try eliminating the SW21 which should eliminate 61.5 see if 110 & 119 become stable without the switch.

boba & mack...how would i "eliminate" the switch...take the switch out and just connecting one of the wires coming from one of the dishes directly with the receiever wire running from the house with a a single connector/adapter piece thing?

magnum what is the latest thing to replace the "dinosaur" with lol

and based on your opinion do you think the switch itself is most likely the cause of the problem

magnum what is the latest thing to replace the "dinosaur" with lol

and based on your opinion do you think the switch itself is most likely the cause of the problem
A Dish 500 with a Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB. The SW21 was mainly used back in the day before grounding the system was also a requirement hence me recommending a technician visit.

Sat signal

I am having the same problem here in South Central KY. I just lose the channel and screen pops up acquiring Satellite signal I lose guide info this just started today. I just had the system installed less the a month ago . i checked the transponder strength on 61.5 Sat less then 50 on all transponders 77 seems a little better any advise.

VIP 722K
1000.4 Eastern Arc Dish 3lnb

i have a dish 500 my second box only picks up 110 i used to change coax from one side to other but know only picks up 110 switch test says good signal but wrong sattilite what can i do?