DISH Makes TV Easy with New Hopper Plus™

Yes all of them support HDR. None of the them support Dolby Vision or Atmos. (at this time)
And that is why I keep arguing with clone 1008 as to why I would not opt for the system. DolbyVision is a must, regardless of what he thinks is just a different signal., not to mention no Atmos.

And that is why I keep arguing with clone 1008 as to why I would not opt for the system. DolbyVision is a must, regardless of what he thinks is just a different signal., not to mention no Atmos.
There's no argument, you said there is no HDR on the wireless Joey 4s when actually there is. There is HDR10 not Dolby Vision. Maybe what you should have said is that there is not all HDR formats available.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Are you saying that the Hopper Plus needs to be connected before calling for issues?
No, I'm saying you're not getting a Joey 4 or WiFi Joey 4 just for the sake of upgrading your Joeys without getting the Plus. Hell, we're still installing Joey 2's on a daily basis. Dish isn't allowing work orders for the new Joeys unless accompanied by a Plus

Our installation was completed today on the Hopper Plus and the Joeys. First installation assumed the Joey 3's "would update on their own". Second install, we now have 3 wired Joey 4s, and one wireless Joey 4. Very quick, all too soon observations:

Pro
- New software/operating system is excellent
- Look and feel of all screens (guides, DVR) is excellent with new fonts, easier to read
- Home page is much better than other streaming devices and DISH old home screen
- Fast and easy to move between DISH and streaming services
- In using Google, a wealth of apps. Other TVs, even Amazon Fire had missing apps.
- One TV input for 90% of what we watch. This was always a challenge for my wife and visitors.
- Not seeing the HDR issue
- Voice search brings everything together in one search result

Con
- For whatever reason, skipping ahead/back are much slower than before. #1 issue and a big one.
- Logitech Harmony remote won't operate half of the DISH related buttons (escalated a service issue)
- Voice search doesn't recognize OTA networks
- Could use more than just 4 locked quick buttons for apps on the home screen
- Surprised no improvements on the remote. Could be so much better as a device and include more IR tech for other devices (mini blaster output for cabinets)

All in all, this is a nice upgrade. Was thinking of moving on from DISH, and this definitely has me with no regrets on a two year lock. The skip forward/back is a real issue- I can live with it, but they need this to be on par with the system before. Might just be a bad hopper or plus unit, so I'm interested to hear how others are effected. I'm sure I'll learn more and will make sure to update anything else I see.

Our installation was completed today on the Hopper Plus and the Joeys. First installation assumed the Joey 3's "would update on their own". Second install, we now have 3 wired Joey 4s, and one wireless Joey 4. Very quick, all too soon observations:

Pro
- New software/operating system is excellent
- Look and feel of all screens (guides, DVR) is excellent with new fonts, easier to read
- Home page is much better than other streaming devices and DISH old home screen
- Fast and easy to move between DISH and streaming services
- In using Google, a wealth of apps. Other TVs, even Amazon Fire had missing apps.
- One TV input for 90% of what we watch. This was always a challenge for my wife and visitors.
- Not seeing the HDR issue
- Voice search brings everything together in one search result

Con
- For whatever reason, skipping ahead/back are much slower than before. #1 issue and a big one.
- Logitech Harmony remote won't operate half of the DISH related buttons (escalated a service issue)
- Voice search doesn't recognize OTA networks
- Could use more than just 4 locked quick buttons for apps on the home screen
- Surprised no improvements on the remote. Could be so much better as a device and include more IR tech for other devices (mini blaster output for cabinets)

All in all, this is a nice upgrade. Was thinking of moving on from DISH, and this definitely has me with no regrets on a two year lock. The skip forward/back is a real issue- I can live with it, but they need this to be on par with the system before. Might just be a bad hopper or plus unit, so I'm interested to hear how others are effected. I'm sure I'll learn more and will make sure to update anything else I see.
- Not seeing the HDR issue - You're not going to if your TV is not HDR capable (Not all are if they are a couple of years old or older.)

Last edited:
Two more observed issues for the Dish techs:

1. Last night we had a storm pass through and we lost signal. After about an hour I realized the storm had been gone for at least 30 minutes (Florida storms roll in and out quickly) but all units still had no signal. The only way to get Dish programming back was to reset the Hopper 3 for that TV and both Joey 4s for those TVs.

2. Since each Joey 4 has it's own Android TV they come with Google's screen saver activated. Each time the screen saver comes on and I try to go back and watch TV the channel that I was watching is a black screen. I have to change channels to get the picture back and then go back to the channel I was watching when the screen saver kicked on. I like the Google screen saver but I have it turned off for now.

I'm not sure if these issues have been introduced with the elimination of the Hopper Plus somehow but I wouldn't think so.

Two HDR televisions, and have not seen the issue reported. That said, I don't watch SD channels, and the few I do watch (ESPN), I haven't noticed an issue.
If you have two HDR televisions and are not seeing the HDR symbol come up on your screen when the units are powered up or reset then you might have a setting turned of on your TV. BTW it's not just SD, it's every thing that is being upscaled. What are your TVs? What picture modes do you have available in your settings?

Two HDR televisions, and have not seen the issue reported. That said, I don't watch SD channels, and the few I do watch (ESPN), I haven't noticed an issue.

Played with this last night some more and it seems while it’s saying HDR is on all the times it is not changing or altering the colors for non HDR content.

Watched some HDR content on Disney Plus and it looked amazing.

So while the HDR flag seems to be always on it appears it’s really only sending HDR content when there is HDR content.

I am now under the impression the HDR is throwing a false flag.

Played with this last night some more and it seems while it’s saying HDR is on all the times it is not changing or altering the colors for non HDR content.

So while the HDR flag seems to be always on it appears it’s really only sending HDR content when there is HDR content.

The fact that it's sending an always on signal to the TV it is altering the color and picture by taking away the ability to use non HDR picture modes and calibrations for non HDR content. It's forcing the TV to use HDR modes only, this in turn changes gray point calibrations and Gamma calibrations to HDR standards.

Last edited:
I want to point something out that I know, it’s not gonna satisfy everybody but most of the people on this site are elevated above just common, average television viewers. More like power users who demand the most they can get out of there viewing experience.

With that said, since last week when this first came out, every customer I’ve been to with the hopper, I’ve asked them how often they watch multiview and so far I’ve gotten zero responses that say that multiview is something that they take advantage of.

NowI’m not trying to discredit people that do but to use Multiview as a reason to discredit this new device is disingenuous because very few people take advantage of it. When do technology comes out, the manufacturers are not targeting the niche crowd, they’re targeting the general population

Last edited:

Did you watch it via your Sony?

On my Sonys, it let’s you choose different Picture modes on straight HDR, Dolby Vision locks you out of those modes and your choices are DV Light and Dark ( I think IMAX also is a choice).

Scott although I don't recommend using other peoples calibration settings, here's a great video on your TV. Take a look at it and I think you will start to understand what should be available to you but isn't because of what an always on HDR signal is doing. This guy is using the exact same equipment that I use.

Scott,

You can do a simple test on your Sony TV to verify whether the false HDR flag is affecting your picture.
1) Select a Dish channel that is not using HDR
2) Use the Sony TV Action Menu and select Picture adjustments.
3) Select Advanced Settings.
4) Select Video options.
5) Under HDR mode you can select Auto (default), HDR10, HLG, Off. (My Sony does not have Dolby Vision).
6) Compare your picture colors between Auto, HDR10, HLG, and Off.

On my Sony XBR-65X900E
1) HDR mode Auto gives the same picture as HDR Off on my Hopper3 receiver.
2) HDR10 over saturated the colors making everything more Red.
3) HLG makes everything darker.

So on your Hopper+ If HDR Auto picture is the same as HDR Off then you know that your Sony is not using the false HDR flag.

Of course other TV’s make react differently.

For now I think we have sorted out how to remove the Hopper+ and go back to using just the Hopper. The next thing we need more info about is DISH not wanting a second Hopper in the mix with a Hopper+. Questions:

Will DISH remove the 2nd Hopper from your account?
If not, will the 2nd Hopper operate as usual but of course no apps from the Hopper that has the Hopper+ attached?
Will both Hoppers still be able to see each other?
If multiple Joeys are in the system, can the Joeys still link to the Hopper of choice?