DISH NETWORK INTRODUCES ONLY ONLINE VIDEO PORTAL WITH LIVE TV INTEGRATION

So.... This is basically Hulu with a link to our DVR's? Hmmm... Guess I was expecting them to have done it all themselves, probably cheaper to have Hulu do all the work, and Dish just put a DISH Wrapper on it...

Would this show any content "On Demand" like cable does or is this not as good as cable's "On Demand" funcitionality?

If this is just Hulu repackaged then you can view that on a computer. With a 922 it would be shown on the television without a computer though so that would be and advantage. Some televisions can view Hulu / Youtube / etc though built into the television.

I've been in the beta and didn't use it much. Now today, I spent some time looking at various videos. The quality is all over the place.

Lots of the shows are just linked over to Hulu, so the quality is Hulu quality. IMO, not very good at all. Too jerky and on a screen of a comfortable size (about 25"+), just not enjoyable at all.

OTOH, the stuff from Epix is pretty good. No jerkiness, although not HD either. Nearly on par with Netflix.

For me, the ideal use would be on my iPad for late night viewing. But this is a flash site and that won't work on the iPad. I could get a Slingbox I suppose and the iPhone app (how is that app on an iPad??), but that seems a rather expensive way to do things.

I tried this both on my Mac desktop and my Dell Hybrid HTPC hooked to the big screen. Basically bigger the screen, more noticeable that this is a very mixed bag of video. Some sources OK, some not OK at all, none really excellent, imo.

WOW! That was exciting.....for a few minutes :(

Combine an even weaker rehash of the flawed and flaky Dish Remote Access with readily available internet content (i.e. via Hulu, etc.) for channels in some Dish package and Dish has a new brand new beta product worthy of a press release :rolleyes:

Hopefully Dish will actually fix DISHOnline.com since it is available to people who Dish would like to attract as paying customers. OTOH these poor schmucks won't get to know that the Dish Remote Access part doesn't actually work very well until it is too late :rant:

Talon Dancer

I get an error saying it can't load the playlist. Not too sure what that means. Updated Adobe and everything, nothing blocked.

Works in IE, but Firefox is problematic.

I was most interested in being able to stream live or recorded content from my 722k. Looks like I need to upgrade to the 922. I clicked on the website links to find out pricing, and even though I was logged into my Dish Network account it started leading me through the steps of selecting a programming package... With the new 722k menus that appeared the other day, I was hoping that live streaming would be built into the current equipment.

Anyone know how much it would cost to switch from a 722k to 922?

$200 with dish n it up (2 yr contract)

probably 450$ straight up.

even though this sounds like an awesome feature.... it JUST went into open beta, not even a full release, i'm positive that, like everything not officially released, it will get better as time goes on.. can't wait to be able to find my password to try this site out :tux::up:cool:

Last edited:
So.... This is basically Hulu with a link to our DVR's? Hmmm... Guess I was expecting them to have done it all themselves, probably cheaper to have Hulu do all the work, and Dish just put a DISH Wrapper on it...

Yeah, a shame it doesn't work with 64 bit linux (well, more specifically anyone running a 64 bit linux version of flash player - that adobe dropped all support for that however, is another story!)

Yeah, a shame it doesn't work with 64 bit linux (well, more specifically anyone running a 64 bit linux version of flash player - that adobe dropped all support for that however, is another story!)

if you have ubuntu try the link below for 64 bit linux flash. It works on my computer using opera as the browser. Failing that google "64 bit linux flash" and you will find a method that works eventually.

Install 64-bit Adobe Flash Player on Ubuntu (updated to 10.04 and closing of 64-bit beta) « *n*x
:)

I can access the content on my 622 with Sling box attached....

I have two 722's and a Sling Solo and I can't view any of my recorded programs. I get the error: Upgrade to the new Slingloaded DVR to watch your recordings online.

How are you viewing your DVR content thru this site?

I dont have any premium channels except cinemax. Does that mean I cant watch any of the movies that says "upgrade"?

I would think not. if you don't don't sub to the channels on your receiver why do you think you should get them for free on the net....

Does not work on ipad as flash required. Guess keep using slingmobile app.

Working on my Evo with Android 2.2 and flash 10. The higher quality videos stutter at times but it works, watching the goods right now on epix. Unfortunately Hulu videos are still blocked :(.
I am going to try with skyfire since they do sever side compression which should help.

Have the same issue as others with channels we have saying they need to upgrade, but the videos still play.

Btw, had it running on my laptop and phone with different shows running, so looks like multiple simultaneous logins is fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)