What’s keeping you guys with Dish Network…

I just like switching on the TV, and use the guide too see what's on, I could go with Sling or YTT, but at least with Dish I know what I get and can record shows on the spur of the moment, also pausing programs, Wilhelm I do that with Firesticl most times I either have to start all over again or fuss and fidget to get back to resume if it's more than a 5 minute pause. And I've been with Dish for almost 30yrs and I know what most of the channel #'s are. Ditto with the wife

I have only had Dish for a couple of months, and I have not yet decided whether to keep it or pay the penalty and cancel. My primary reason for getting Dish, is that after many years of using TiVo with cable, Spectrum is reported to be discontinuing support for cable cards--and in fact, we had already lost several channels.

Dish is the only thing out there that is comparable to TiVo. I have tried a few streaming services, and my wife just cannot grasp the concept. As it is, she is struggling with the Dish. It does not help matters that there are a couple of key features that are missing from TiVo:

1) TiVo's program guide is by far, the best for ease of use and being able to see future programming in advance.

2) Even though I asked about this before purchasing, it is a major disappointment for my wife that when using the Joey, she cannot toggle between tuners and watch two shows at the same time--pausing a channel and then resuming. (Actually, on the TiVo you can do this with 4 tuners). She was resigned to the fact that at least she could use the recall button to show the prior 6 shows, albeit without the ability to pause and resume. However, as luck would have it, there is an issue with the Joey not being able to display the other channels--but instead showing a "no information available' message when pressing recall.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm shocked that nobody has mentioned this. I watch a lot of old movies. On streaming services, these are generally on services that are ad supported, with no way to skip the GD ads! I just record them off Hallmark or Smithsonian and skip the ads. In fact, those two offer some on-demand content, and those too have no ads at all. Even better.

Last edited:
In our 18th year with Dish, the Hopper 3 can't be beat. We have many hours of favorite movies on the DVR and EHD's. Some are hard to find and not on DVD.

Whenever there has been an equipment problem the appointments are within a day or two usually. Not a lot of businesses come out on a Saturday or Sunday, Dish does.

We do streaming on Roku but as The Krell stated you can't skip the ads. We DVR a lot of content and love Auto hop and skip forward.

Customer service is willing to work with you as much as they are allowed in order to keep you.

I left in Dec. of 2021 after I quit working & retired and had 25 years with DISH. I went with Sling TV and the interface isn't as good as the Hopper was, but the price I pay is so much less now. The DISH fees kept adding up and the prices kept going up every year since 2000. My parents on my second DISH account followed me and went with Sling TV and then my Aunt on my third DISH account who was only on the Welcome pack , was getting tired of the programming disputes and paying as much as she did with some of her locals missing. Mainly her CBS and her soaps was off. So she quit too. I doubt that DISH will be around for much longer at this rate of mass cord cutting every year now. :rolleyes:

I love the Hopper 3 DVR. I don't like to waste my time watching commercials, so I record everything and then use the wonderful 30 second skip button to skip commercials. I even do this with sporting events. I've used DVR's for years, first with ReplayTV, then Tivo and now the Hopper 3. I'm happy to say that I've seen very few commercials in the past 25 years.

Spectrum recently ran fiber to my rural neighborhood so I do have another TV provider. However, they are no longer offering a DVR, rather the Xumo device which appears to be focused on streaming. I signed up for their fiber internet service but passed on the TV service.

I have only had Dish for a couple of months, and I have not yet decided whether to keep it or pay the penalty and cancel. My primary reason for getting Dish, is that after many years of using TiVo with cable, Spectrum is reported to be discontinuing support for cable cards--and in fact, we had already lost several channels.

Dish is the only thing out there that is comparable to TiVo. I have tried a few streaming services, and my wife just cannot grasp the concept. As it is, she is struggling with the Dish. It does not help matters that there are a couple of key features that are missing from TiVo:

1) TiVo's program guide is by far, the best for ease of use and being able to see future programming in advance.

2) Even though I asked about this before purchasing, it is a major disappointment for my wife that when using the Joey, she cannot toggle between tuners and watch two shows at the same time--pausing a channel and then resuming. (Actually, on the TiVo you can do this with 4 tuners). She was resigned to the fact that at least she could use the recall button to show the prior 6 shows, albeit without the ability to pause and resume. However, as luck would have it, there is an issue with the Joey not being able to display the other channels--but instead showing a "no information available' message when pressing recall.
You are in the same boat I was with Charter. I had been using a TiVo Bolt with a cable card and multiple TiVo minis for years. Loved the set up except not having access to On Demand through the TiVo. The Hopper 3 and Joey 4s were a perfect 1 for 1 replacement. Ordered the Hopper 3 with Hopper + the day it became available for public order. The early days with the Hopper + nearly drove me to cancelling it. I will say that while it is still not perfect it is night and day better than when I first got it in September ‘22. What I miss more than anything is Bally Sports. They cannot go out of business fast enough to suit me. Then just maybe I will have an option for watching the Cardinals once again. LOL

I wanted to add that I found this group to be very helpful with my early struggles and still find it helpful to this day. A lot of knowledgeable people here.

Last edited:
To "toggle" between two channels you have to record both of them. Pause when you are going to switch. That "saves" the buffer as a recording, then you can jump back and forth, hopefully it will resume where you paused it.
Either I don't understand your directions, or I'm missing something. I frequently toggle between a live program and a recorded program. But only one recorded program at a time is toggleable, if that's a word. On the icons across the bottom, only one "DVR" program is visible, preventing me from toggling between two recorded programs.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I only have the Welcome Pack with my H3. It has went from $29 mo to $70 mo, but YTTV charges about the same price and I do not watch much sports. I have and use Prime, and have tried Peacock, Philo, and several other streaming services, but was not satisfied with any of them. You can record, but they do not sort out the new and reruns like Dish does. Actually, Philo for $25 mo has all the channels that I watch, but does not sort new and reruns on recordings. If they would do that, I would probably switch. Also, I get 83 channels with my locals on my TiVo, which gives me the networks for what little sports that I watch.

All in one guide and dvr.

I turn on tv.
Check guide to see whats on now.
'Nothing'?
Check dvr to see what has recorded and waiting for me or will be coming up shortly.
TIme shift and commercial skip.
I found I no longer have to remember what days/times the shows I like air.
The dvr does that for me.

Streaming,
So much content,
In too many different places.
I cannot keep track of What/When/Where to watch.
With streaming I have to remember all the shows I have to search for and which app and what days the new episodes appear.
And mostly, if there are inserted ads,
The ads are extremely redundant or a generic 'be right back' commercial break screen and cannot be skipped.
With live sports, start from beginning and back 10sec 'instant replay' are usually not available.