What’s keeping you guys with Dish Network…

I was a Dish customer for nearly 20 years until I got in on the Starlink beta and finally got decent internet in my neck of the woods. Decided to go all streaming with legal and not so legal apps. I don't really miss Dish, but they're offering me a great deal to come back. Two year price lock on any of their packages and a $500 prepaid debit card thrown in as a bonus. Very tempting.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Coming from Tivo Roamio and Spectrum...
Hopper 3 features and usability are great for me.
DishAnywhere works anywhere in the world. That is huge for me since I regularly travel abroad.
OTA channels that display on guide and record seamlessly is so nice.
DVR in general is very usable but always room for improvement.

I was a Dish customer for nearly 20 years until I got in on the Starlink beta and finally got decent internet in my neck of the woods. Decided to go all streaming with legal and not so legal apps. I don't really miss Dish, but they're offering me a great deal to come back. Two year price lock on any of their packages and a $500 prepaid debit card thrown in as a bonus. Very tempting.

That is a terrific offer!

I am going on vacation soon, and my contract expires in April

How long were you away before Dish makes such an offer?

Coming from Tivo Roamio and Spectrum...
Hopper 3 features and usability are great for me.
DishAnywhere works anywhere in the world. That is huge for me since I regularly travel abroad.
OTA channels that display on guide and record seamlessly is so nice.
DVR in general is very usable but always room for improvement.
Hmmm...I tried using Dish Anywhere to watch NFL playoffs last year while in Dominican Republic at a wedding. Could not connect even with Norton VPN enabled.

Just waiting for fiber to the home in April, then I will be gone

We still have Dish on hold while we try streaming with YTTV and a few other apps. I have to say though, we've been pleasantly surprised at how easy the transition is going. We continue to find features and short cuts regularly that are making the transition even easier. The true test though, will come this summer when we go camping with our motorhome. If we run into too many poor Internet problems, it will be a simple matter to set the dish up and restart the service for the few months of the camping season.

I love the Hopper 3 DVR. I don't like to waste my time watching commercials, so I record everything and then use the wonderful 30 second skip button to skip commercials. I even do this with sporting events. I've used DVR's for years, first with ReplayTV, then Tivo and now the Hopper 3. I'm happy to say that I've seen very few commercials in the past 25 years.

Spectrum recently ran fiber to my rural neighborhood so I do have another TV provider. However, they are no longer offering a DVR, rather the Xumo device which appears to be focused on streaming. I signed up for their fiber internet service but passed on the TV service.
Hi there-- just want to clarify, DVR's are still available to anyone who wants them. The Xumo device has cDVR functionality as well. Thanks!

We still have Dish on hold while we try streaming with YTTV and a few other apps. I have to say though, we've been pleasantly surprised at how easy the transition is going. We continue to find features and short cuts regularly that are making the transition even easier. The true test though, will come this summer when we go camping with our motorhome. If we run into too many poor Internet problems, it will be a simple matter to set the dish up and restart the service for the few months of the camping season.
I can tell you first hand after traveling the US in our class A you can forget campground internet, cellular hotspots, Winegard gateways, local antennas on top of your rig and on an on. I've had and done them all, if you want a good picture and less issues the only way to go is Dish or Starlink. Dish beat the price and the way to get around the costs if you don't want to pay dish at home is to fire up your RV's Dish receiver and suspend the service in your home, this way your only paying $7 a month. For me it was the only reason I am still on Dish that and the fact my Wife does not like technology, switching sources, doing internet searches and screwing with remotes.

O
I can tell you first hand after traveling the US in our class A you can forget campground internet, cellular hotspots, Winegard gateways, local antennas on top of your rig and on an on. I've had and done them all, if you want a good picture and less issues the only way to go is Dish or Starlink. Dish beat the price and the way to get around the costs if you don't want to pay dish at home is to fire up your RV's Dish receiver and suspend the service in your home, this way your only paying $7 a month. For me it was the only reason I am still on Dish that and the fact my Wife does not like technology, switching sources, doing internet searches and screwing with remotes.
When we were fulltiming and primarily using state and national parks on the east coast, we had usable cell based Internet with either our AT&T or Verizon unlimited data hot spot services using rooftop antennas, and often both, everywhere we went. Now part time, we'll be staying at a couple of NY state parks this year where we're not familiar with the cell coverage and will restart our Dish service for a month or two if needed.

I was in the dominican republic a few weeks ago and had no issues streaming from home.
Scott were you using VPN or didn't need one? I never use a VPN, I have Norton VPN because I use their internet security and it comes with it. I hear commercials all the time for different VPN's. So I must have just done it wrong. I think some people use it all the time, but the few times I used a few years back it seemed to slow things down a lot so I never used it. Trying to figure it out in a resort I must have just not set it up right. Should have played with it before I left I guess. Any chance it was because I was trying to watch network TV?