What’s keeping you guys with Dish Network…

Pere845

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Boise, Idaho
Just curious to see why some of us on here are still on satellite. For me, the biggest reasons are there is no OTT service with no channel gaps and YouTube TV still not bringing back the MLB network…

Reactions: Jon J
Great equipment, and unwatched shows on EHDs.

NOW- why might I leave? Lack of content. Secondarily, cost. I’ve gone from 250 to 120. I will certainly tough it out until after Team Summit, hoping for the best.

I find streaming services are too quirky for me. The remote with my FireStick is not always responsive especially after long pauses or trying to rejoin an episode that we had to abandon in midstream. Turning closed captioning on and off is erratic, sometimes the icon does not respond. They are still in their infancy whereas satellite, which has its glitches, is mature enough to not tempt me to throw the remote at the TV occasionally.

Last edited:
I find streaming services are too quirky for me. The remote with my FireStick is not always responsive especially after long pauses or trying to rejoin an episode that we had to abandon in midstream. Turning closed captioning on and off is erratic, sometimes the icon does not respond. They are still in their infancy whereas satellite, which has its glitches, is mature enough to not tempt me to throw the remote at the TV occasionally.
Totally forgot to mention that, My family has enjoyed having an actual remote and channel numbers since coming back to satellite

Convenience. It's all there in one package with numbered channels (the wife doesn't want it any other way). In addition the DVR is local meaning even if the service and Internet are down I can still watch recordings and the time shifting capability is nice. I've tried the other devices, Roku, Firestick, etc and none are perfect, especially when it comes to interfaces. Some are better than others but all leave something to be desired. There's more but those are the main reasons. I have the Flex Pack plus add-ons for $80 a month, all in.

1. Streaming is still too glitchy and unreliable.
2. I have a lot of multi-day power outages. Even with a generator, the internet usually goes down. Satellite will still work!
3. Hopper 3 is cream of the crop in equipment!
4. It’s DRASTICALLY cheaper than cable. Every 2 years I comparison shop before renewing my 2 year agreement. This year, to get similar channels and equipment it was about $70/mo more with cable.

Numbered channels, hm, I remember the guy who insisted on channel # to be displayed on face of the receiver. A lot of cable boxes and C-band receivers did that.

Dish is easy to stick with because the receiver doesn't break and the DVR is solid.

Over the longest period of time Dish has provided me options to have a reduced bill while getting what I wanted most. From Latino Dos to Welcome Pack (which came with free TCM by accident :D) to Flex. Also, they have offers for premiums all the time for me (and likely many others). Their Chat support is also out of this world effective.

I can't add anything that hasn't been said already. The convenience of being able to type in a channel number instead of switching apps. With sports being my main thing, there is a buffering delay on streaming. When streaming works, it is great, but I have had more issues with streaming than satellite. I also have T-Mobile home internet, where when it is fast it is great, other times there is buffering on that end.

I am always open to going to streaming in the future, but at least for the next year, I will be sticking with Dish.