Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Network has sent out their retailers a FAQ on all that channges that go into effect today. I would publish the entire document, but it includes some dealer sensitive information... so instead I will just repost some of the FAQ's of interest to our members.

This information is just another reason why we are America's Satellite Information Source!

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys!

What is HD Free for Life?

• HD Free for Life is an offer from DISH Network allowing any customers who meet
the requirements listed below to receive HD add-on programming for free for
the life of the account!
• Customers who are willing to take a 24-month commitment and sign up for
AutoPay and Paperless billing are going to receive HD Free for Life!
• Customers who do not want to take a 24-month commitment or sign up for
Autopay and Paperless billing can pay a one-time $99 HD Upgrade Fee

What is HD add-on?

HD add-on is the HD package containing the high definition equivalent of the
standard definition channels included with a customer’s programming
package.

This package is available to customers who aren’t enrolled in HD Free for Life
for $10 per month.

What about HD Platinum?
HD Platinum gets the customer an additional 16 HD channels for only $10
per month.

Is HD Platinum available for free?

No, HD Platinum is not part of the HD Free for Life offer.
HD Platinum is essentially a premium movie package with 9 movie channels
such as Epix and Epix2, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, and Universal HD!
• HD Platinum also includes additional sports channels and special interest
content from channels like World Fishing Network.

12 of the 16 channels in HD Platinum are not offered by DirecTV.

Will a market with just 3 local networks be considered to have “local channels” or will they suddenly have all 4 local channels?

Legislation has passed allowing DISH Network to import local channels that are missing from a market from an adjacent market. Therefore, local markets that are missing 1 or more of their local channels will have those imported from a near market, giving the customer a full suite of local channels. A full suite is considered to be the big 4 – ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX.

How does DISH America, an all HD package, work on standard definition televisions?

DISH Network HD receivers automatically down-convert the programming through the standard definition outputs. A customer doesn’t need to do anything to enjoy DISH America on a standard definition TV. However, customers will be required to have all HD equipment on their account to have DISH America programming.

If a customer pays the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee, do they have to make the 24-month commitment?

No, a customer who pays the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee does not have to meet any other requirements to receive HD Free for Life.

If a customer cancels AutoPay and Paperless Billing will they be charged the cancellation fee?

A customer who signed up for HD Free for Life with a 24-month commitment is subject to a $240 cancellation fee, prorated at $10 per month. The customer is also required to sign up for AutoPay and Paperless billing. All three are REQUIREMENTS for the customer to receive HD Free for Life. If a customer drops or changes the conditions on their account that allowed them to receive this offer, they may be subject to losing the special pricing or be charged the cancellation fee. A customer who paid the one-time $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee is not subject to these requirements.

If a customer changes core programming will their HD remain Free for Life?

Yes, as long as they change to eligible core programming such as America’s Top Programming or DishLATINO Dos and Max programming.

How do existing customers add HD Free for Life?

Existing customers have 2 options to add HD Free for Life. A customer who already has HD equipment at their house but does not subscribe to HD programming can go on Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.800.823.4929 and select the 24-month commitment, AutoPay and Paperless billing to receive HD Free for Life or pay the one-time, $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee

The existing customer who doesn’t have HD equipment should call DISH Network to upgrade their equipment through DISH’n It Up. Once their equipment is received, they can then go to Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.800.823.4929 and select the 24-month commitment, AutoPay, and Paperless billing or pay the one-time, $99 Programming Upgrade Fee.

What happens to an existing customer who currently subscribes to HD programming?

A customer who subscribes to HD & Platinum will automatically be enrolled in HD Free for Life with no additional requirements. This customer will automatically be enrolled in the new HD Platinum package at $10 per month as well, resulting in no price change on their bill.

A customer who subscribes to HD Bronze, Silver, or Gold (yes they still exist!) can upgrade to HD Free for Life just as an existing customer who has HD equipment, but no programming. They MUST go to Satellite TV - HD Satellite Television - DISH 1.800.823.4929 and sign up for the 24-month commitment, AutoPay, and Paperless Billing. If they do not want to go online or meet these requirements, a customer can call DISH Network and pay the one-time $99 HD Upgrade Fee.

What happens to an existing customer who currently subscribes to HD programming?

A customer who subscribes to HD & Platinum will automatically be enrolled in HD Free for Life with no additional requirements. This customer will automatically be enrolled in the new HD Platinum package at $10 per month as well, resulting in no price change on their bill.

Is this really going to be the case? Because it seems they still want you to agree to the commitment or pay...maybe they still haven't worked out everything yet?

Unfortunately this is not what CSRs and the website are telling us. It's very clear that we, existing customers will automatically be enrolled in the new HD Platinum package but that is NOT what we're seeing online or talking to CSRs.

I think I'll just wait some time until they take care of this.

The only existing customers getting free HD for life are those who are getting billed $10 a month for HD & Platinum together.

If you were paying for HD and Platinum as a seperate line items then you do not qualify and need to pay the $99 one time fee, or agree to a 24 month commitment with Credit Card Auto Pay and Paperless billing.

So 16 channels in Platinum now. I guess that confirms HD Theater and Paladia are moving to Platinum. The 11 on the Dish website plus Shorts, EPIX1 and EPIX2 make 14, plus HD Theater and Paladia makes 16.

The only existing customers getting free HD for life are those who are getting billed $10 a month for HD & Platinum together.

If you were paying for HD and Platinum as a seperate line items then you do not qualify and need to pay the $99 one time fee, or agree to a 24 month commitment with Credit Card Auto Pay and Paperless billing.

Guess then my bill would go down $10? as I am paying $10 for HD & Plat.

I have HD & Platinum together (single line for $10) and according to the CSR's will still have to pay $99 or sign 24 months. Hopefully they are still working out the bugs.

I have HD & Platinum together (single line for $10) and according to the CSR's will still have to pay $99 or sign 24 months. Hopefully they are still working out the bugs.
Wait until your next bill generates, that is when the free hd for life will take effect.

I bet there are still some CSR's who do not know what the hell is going on with existing subs and HD for life. Dish should require all CSR's to sign up and read Satellite Guys so they can be as well informed as we are!

I bet there are still some CSR's who do not know what the hell is going on with existing subs and HD for life. Dish should require all CSR's to sign up and read Satellite Guys so they can be as well informed as we are!
Actually they do have a PC setup so that agents can check out the site. :) Unfortunately I don't think many of them do though. :(

We just try keeping on top of things the best we can. :)

I'm trying to determine what happens when my 24 month commitment expires. I do have AutoPay and Paperless billing.

If I understand correctly, my options will be to either re-up for a 24 month commitment, or pay a one time $99 fee. Or is there a third option to pay $10 a month for HD programming consistent with the package I have?

I'm laughing right now because this shouldn't be this confusing.

I'm trying to determine what happens when my 24 month commitment expires. I do have AutoPay and Paperless billing.

If I understand correctly, my options will be to either re-up for a 24 month commitment, or pay a one time $99 fee. Or is there a third option to pay $10 a month for HD programming consistent with the package I have?

I'm laughing right now because this shouldn't be this confusing.
My advice is to wait until your next bill generates. Then you will see whats going on. :)

DISH Never said that Outdoor HD was coming. It was just a channel they were testing. Galavision was also never publiclly announced with a start date, it was only mentioned on a retailer chat.

Galavision however is up in testing (it replaced Outdoor Channel HD) and will be turned on shortly. :)

I've been on Paperless billing for years..... Except a paper bill has shown up for each of the last 4 months.... I'm guessing they want to keep reminding me of the receiver "loyalty discount" they are giving me... up to 4 out of 6...

i sure wish i could get dishnetwork, but when i give them my ss number, and they run that credit check, it shoots it down, but i have dtv and have never had an issue with them on credit or anything, and i am not under no committment with them.

I have:
America's Top 120 - $34.99 (doesn't include locals)
HD & Platinum - $10.00

If I "upgrade" to "Free HD For Life", it'll be $39.99 for America's Top 120 (with locals I assume) + $10 if I want Platinum HD.

So $49.99 + tax for "Free HD For Life" or $44.99 + tax for the exact same thing at current pricing.

With regards to the $34.99 Top 120 package, DISH says:

Your Basic Programming is not a current programming option and is only available for you until you choose to switch to an available package below. You are free to keep your current Basic Programming, but if you elect to change, you will not be able to receive this package again.
Emphasis mine.

Why would I upgrade? What am I missing?

I have America's Top 200, and pay $10/month for HD Silver, NO Platinum. I have had autopay and paperless billing for years. I think I already meet all the requirements. Do I need to take any action?

Or does this mean if I call up and ask, my bill will drop by $10/month for the same programming, but if I don't ask Dish will happily keep charging me the extra $10 a month?