Dish Network Prepaid Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can confirm the receiver has to be connected to the dish and be on when the signal is sent ,so my option is to set the fta dish to 119 and get the service here in ohio then pull the receiver and take it with me to my place in Canada. The only thing that really irritates me is the "You have 2 days remaining of Dish NOW service" or whatever that says. They should really shorten that up. Sort of a pain when changing channels. Other than that the service has been great and that green dot thing works really well.

Melnic:

The activation signal must come from 119. I only have one LNB on my dish and that is where its pointed.

I set it up yesterday and got it all working just fine. Got line of site in a perfect spot on the back corner of the roof.
Well, for me it's prepaid or nothing. This is a vacation/2nd home near the beach. If I were at the place full time I'd have Cable or Regular pay Satellite.
I"m there less than 40 days a year so I don't want to pay $250-$400 a year in cable or Satellite. I rent the place out to family or friends once and a while so now I can turn on the satellite remotely for only a couple days at a time for them with a phone call.
This is going to work out great for me but only because I"m a do-it-yourself kinda guy w/ an electronics background and I'm a part time resident of the house it is being installed on. Since I installed it, I can service it. I now have a spare reciever I picked up on ebay for $30 and a spare LNB I tested.

I will add that the local Radio Shack near the house did not have a clue what Prepaid Dish now was. The Radio shack at the mall by my full time house did.

Is the reason you are doing this because you can't get the 800 number in Canada? The reciever would not know where you are and would activate fine I would imagine.

I can confirm the receiver has to be connected to the dish and be on when the signal is sent ,so my option is to set the fta dish to 119 and get the service here in ohio then pull the receiver and take it with me to my place in Canada. The only thing that really irritates me is the "You have 2 days remaining of Dish NOW service" or whatever that says. They should really shorten that up. Sort of a pain when changing channels. Other than that the service has been great and that green dot thing works really well.

Melnic:

The activation signal must come from 119. I only have one LNB on my dish and that is where its pointed.

I set it up yesterday and got it all working just fine. Got line of site in a perfect spot on the back corner of the roof.
Well, for me it's prepaid or nothing. This is a vacation/2nd home near the beach. If I were at the place full time I'd have Cable or Regular pay Satellite.
I"m there less than 40 days a year so I don't want to pay $250-$400 a year in cable or Satellite. I rent the place out to family or friends once and a while so now I can turn on the satellite remotely for only a couple days at a time for them with a phone call.
This is going to work out great for me but only because I"m a do-it-yourself kinda guy w/ an electronics background and I'm a part time resident of the house it is being installed on. Since I installed it, I can service it. I now have a spare reciever I picked up on ebay for $30 and a spare LNB I tested.

I will add that the local Radio Shack near the house did not have a clue what Prepaid Dish now was. The Radio shack at the mall by my full time house did.

Melnic,

I am not 100% certain on this, but is your spare LNB a LEGACY TWIN LNB and not a DP(Dish Pro)Twin LNB?

I thought I read somewhere(I am not sure) that with the Prepaid set-up it HAS to be a LEGACY TWIN LNB in the set-up and a DP TWIN LNB will not work.

Like I said, I am not 100% certain on this, but I thought that was the case.

Even if you have the refurbished DP301(like you and I both have. Some will get a refurbished Phillips 3900 model), the DP LNB's(whether they are single, twin, quad, whatever) won't work on this setup. The Legacy LNB's work fine.

But again I have to stress, I am not 100% certain on this.

And for those who have problems at their local Radio Shack because they don't know, "What the hell you are talking about?", here are the SKU Numbers within there system which any person at Radio Shack should be able to look up.

I got them last year(4/1/07), and unless they have changed, they should bring up the info on their(Radio Shack) computers:

1. Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid system: $99.99 SKU#(160-2843)
2. Dish NOW!/YA! prepaid Programming Card: $40.00 SKU#(160-0317)
3. Self Installation Kit: $19.99 SKU#(160-2845)

Those SKU #'s should come up in their system, so even if they have no idea what the hell you are talking about, you can at least get them to order any of the above for you.

I love the system too. Great way to cut down costs.

And as an added bonus near me in NW Pennsylvania, our local Supermarket chain(Giant Eagle) sells Radio Shack prepaid cards in $25/$50/$100 increments.

Why is that so great? Because for every $50 you spend at one of my local Giant Eagle's, they give you 20 cents off a gallon of gas(most only give 10 cents, but some give 20 cents) at their local gas stations.

So when I buy $200-$300 worth of gift cards at my local Giant Eagle, and use them towards the $40 prepaid cards at Radio Shack(which I use towards the Basic programming to pay for months and months in advance), I end up saving between $1.20 or $1.40 on a gallon of gas(also adding in regular monthly food costs plus miscellaneous).

And with gas now $3.45/gallon where I am, that is a HUGE SAVINGS, especially on a fill up for me(a 22 gallon tank on a Ford Explorer).

I end up saving like $26 to $30 bucks on a full tank of gas. HUGE SAVINGS!!!!

I pay for my cable/satellite bill and save on gas at the same time!

Yes Sir, I will take that advantage as well.:)

Yes, not being able to get your local RSN(Regional Sports Newtork), or PPV kinda blows. But anyone should be able to get their locals with an antenna.

And dealing with Customer service has gotten better over the past year. It seems that now you are sent to representatives that SPECIFICALLY deal with Dish NOW!/YA! customers unlike the previous year when the CSR was just a random one who had no idea what the hell you were talking about.

The 888 number does not work in Canada. I had a couple people from here try the number and they said it rang then it went to a busy signal. So, I will have to activate it here and take it there. I have a FTA dish up there pointed at G10 ,but i need my ESPN fix :)

Steelers rule,
It's just like what I have on the original dish and not a dish pro. I'm not up to all the lingo.
I did test it at my work in the back parking lot before I installed it at the other place. I think you'd call it a dual twin legacy LNB?

The radio shack guys I think did not know much about anything really. They probably had not even sold one yet.

I recently bought a prepaid system, and went to add more programing from the original set up and the programming I put on it. Problem... they ask for a 12 digit reciever number and the number i have is only 10 and it wont allow me to add more programming to it. They say do not include the "r" or the "-" in the number... i have a "R" but no dash...only 10 actual numbers. Now there is 12 digits in the card number, but they also ask for that.

Help!

STAY away from prepaid..

prepay RAS are a nightmare...

service calls are a nightmare..
cust serv is a nightmare..

I am just wondering, "Why?"

The 2 posts you have in this thread are pretty negative(albeit in the 1st post you state that if you are self-reliant on setup and everything else, the system is not that bad), and I was just wondering what the basis for this feeling is.

I am not looking for a verbal fight, just an understanding of your negativity towards the Dish NOW!/YA! service.

If you actually had it, and returned it because of it's shortcommings for most people.

I will admit, this is not for everyone(No PPV/HD/Local Channels/Regional Sports Network which include all the FSN's, MSG, YES Network, NESN, Big 10 Network, Ohio Sportstime Network, and only available in 1 room being the biggest shortcomings of the service without question)

I will try to defend it, and hopefully they will expand on the service in the near future(with a refurbished 322 most likely the next step for 2 room service, or a refurbished 211 for 1 room prepaid HD off of 61.5 or 129 for people)

If you paid with a Green Dot Moneypak how can you figure out how much each package (HBO, AT100, etc..) would cost for say 1 day or 1 week..
Its easy with a prepaid card $40 = 36 days of AT100

If you paid with a Green Dot Moneypak how can you figure out how much each package (HBO, AT100, etc..) would cost for say 1 day or 1 week..
Its easy with a prepaid card $40 = 36 days of AT100

When calling in, it will tell you how much for each package. It's however easier to look it up online. Take the monthly fee and divide by 30 for a price per day.

I'm using the dish for say a weekend or say a week vacation. So with the Greendot money pack I'm not going to pay for the days I'm not using it. The greendot pak I think expires quickly so you can't put a large amount on it.

I have not found out how to check the amount left on a moneypak yet but I know I can enter it in and tell how many maximum days I can use it w/ for a particular program and thus calculate the balance that way.

Question for Steelersule et al

Are the only 2 receivers offered for pre-paid a 301 and 3900? Can I request 1 over the other? Also, is 301 compatible with a a system/setup with DP34 and Dish 500 DishPro LNBFs? I have a regular account as well using a 508 and if the pre-paid version of 301 works with DP34, I would nicely supplement my viewing with ordering AT250/premiums when needed without worrying about billing confusions and downgrade fees.

I have not found out how to check the amount left on a moneypak yet but I know I can enter it in and tell how many maximum days I can use it w/ for a particular program and thus calculate the balance that way.

I have done this before.

Call 1-800-GREENDOT

I can't remember exactly how I did it, but try to speak to someone(it is automated).

So either wait for a prompt to get you to a rep, or press buttons to get you too one.

They may speak heavily accented english, so be prepared.

Tell them that you want to find out what balance you have left on your moneypak. I think they ask for either the activation #(which is printed on the receipt from places like WalMart), or the card #(which is printed directly on the card. Some places like Rite Aid don't print activation #'s on the receipt after filling the card. This card # is used for the code needed.

There is no penalty(as far as I know) for asking about the available balance of a particular card, and unfortunately there is no other way to find out what is left on the card after using it.

No where on there website is this available.

Unless someone discovers it, or they make it available.

Are the only 2 receivers offered for pre-paid a 301 and 3900? Can I request 1 over the other? Also, is 301 compatible with a a system/setup with DP34 and Dish 500 DishPro LNBFs? I have a regular account as well using a 508 and if the pre-paid version of 301 works with DP34, I would nicely supplement my viewing with ordering AT250/premiums when needed without worrying about billing confusions and downgrade fees.

I am pretty sure that anyone can ADD a Dish NOW/YA receiver to their setup.

But with all that you have involved in yours(DP34's and a DP LNBF), I cannot say with any certainty.

But, if you decide to try, I would get the DP301 if possible. It is just a newer model as compared to the Phillips 3900.

And, yes, at this time the DP301 and 3900 are the only models available on a Dish NOW/YA setup.

I wish I knew the answer to that. But I thought I read that people have doen it in the past for the same reasons you want to do it.

To supplement the channels they get by paying only days at a time instead of the monthly charge.

Also, to avoid the confusion on the bill when it came from there regular Dish bill.

Here is what I do to keep accurate account of my moneypaks.

I print up this page from Green dot's website(always go to PRINT PREVIEW FIRST. Just HIGHLIGHT the part of the page with the vital info. Phone number and picture of the cards and where the activation #'s are to try to leave as much space at the bottom of the page for you to write in information for yourself):

https://www.getmygreen.com/Pages/PartnerDetailsDISHPrepaid.aspx

Then I write the Receiver #(R followed by 12 digits) and the Serial #(not neccesary for getting programming, but nice to have in case a service rep wants the serial number as well if there is a problem)

And below that I write down the Moneypak # and the date I bought it so I will know when I am getting close to the 91st day after purchasing it. This helps in knowing which cards are going to be getting hit with a $4.95/monthly fee after that day so I use them up first.

You can also make a space for knowing how much is left(and the date you found this out) on the card so you will know if you need a new one soon, or are OK for the present time.

Last edited:
Tried the Radio Shack web site, no info on prepaid. Does anyone know how much they sell just the receiver?

Tried the Radio Shack web site, no info on prepaid. Does anyone know how much they sell just the receiver?

They don't sell JUST THE RECEIVER unfortunately.

You will have to find an independent satellite dealer online, or close to you(this may be tough) that do sell just the receiver.

Here are some places online(some advertise here, and they seem reputable):

Prepaid Dish System, Pre Paid Dish System, Free Dish Network Satellite, Free Dish Network, Free Dish Network Satellite Tv System

DishNow Prepaid : The Satellite Shop, Satellite Dish Equipment - TV Programming

Dish Network 3900 Satellite receiver

The last one seems only to have the 3900 series, but you could call and ask if they have the DP301.

The middle one I have dealt with over the phone, and they seem qualified/knowlegable.

I would ask them about just adding it to your existing system, and how you want to connect it.

There is shipping and handling(obviously) and tax on these.

The middle retailer seems to have the best price(about $10 less) out of the three.

I am pretty sure that anyone can ADD a Dish NOW/YA receiver to their setup.

But with all that you have involved in yours(DP34's and a DP LNBF), I cannot say with any certainty.

But, if you decide to try, I would get the DP301 if possible. It is just a newer model as compared to the Phillips 3900.

And, yes, at this time the DP301 and 3900 are the only models available on a Dish NOW/YA setup.

I wish I knew the answer to that. But I thought I read that people have doen it in the past for the same reasons you want to do it.

To supplement the channels they get by paying only days at a time instead of the monthly charge.

Also, to avoid the confusion on the bill when it came from there regular Dish bill.

Steelersrule, thanks for all the info. I will probably go with the 301 prepaid.

I have not been to a Radio Shack in years (not the same service anymore).
I assume that Radio Shack sells prepaid only as a package (receiver, dish, card together). It would be much easier to stop at the local store and pick one up rather then finding a dealer or online. Does anyone know their prices?

I agree, Steelersrule provided some great info!, can`t wait to try the prepaid way.

I have not been to a Radio Shack in years (not the same service anymore).
I assume that Radio Shack sells prepaid only as a package (receiver, dish, card together). It would be much easier to stop at the local store and pick one up rather then finding a dealer or online. Does anyone know their prices?

I agree, Steelersrule provided some great info!, can`t wait to try the prepaid way.

Reread post #24 in this thread.

All the info about prices and SKU#'s(the number Radio Shack uses to find their own individual inventory) are listed in that post.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)