Dish Network Prepaid Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You have no OTA at all? Investing in a roof mounted antenna might be better.
Or you could consider an inexpensive FTA system pointed at 123°W for ABC/FOX.
Or a 6 foot C-Band at 99°W for most of the networks. All SD, but $0/month.

And that's another time that I've asked and still no answer... Since you don't know that answer, Could you be kind enough to tell me what SD means?

Tom

Okay, thanks for that on SD.
We are only able to 'see' a translator with a roof top antenna and a 25 db boaster. The picture is extremely grainy and not fun to watch.
I already have fta, but the files are not coming up well because of the recent nagra change. After seeing how nice a picture can be, we would pay for service, BUT not happy to buy 150 channels of stuff we don't care about and not get the networks.

The specials running for 'full hookup' say the price is good for a year and then it jumps $20 after that. Hello, being on a disability pension sort of means we'd have to stop eating something after a year.

A rock and a hard place...

Tom

Okay, thanks for that on SD.
We are only able to 'see' a translator with a roof top antenna and a 25 db boaster. The picture is extremely grainy and not fun to watch.
I already have fta, but the files are not coming up well because of the recent nagra change. After seeing how nice a picture can be, we would pay for service, BUT not happy to buy 150 channels of stuff we don't care about and not get the networks.

The specials running for 'full hookup' say the price is good for a year and then it jumps $20 after that. Hello, being on a disability pension sort of means we'd have to stop eating something after a year.

A rock and a hard place...

Tom

You could get Dish's $14.99/month package($9.99 starter package+$5.00 for local channels) which is a few basic cable channels, and I would guess all of your locals.

It doesnt get much cheaper than that. Unless you are somehow able in the future to get an antenna which receives the OTA stations for free.

Other than that, I am sorry to say you SOL.

HENSTS,

These are copied from another thread. There is an initial "big" charge for getting these packages:

There is a package called the "Welcome Pack" for $9.99. You can also get locals only for $9.99. Welcome pack can be combined with locals for $14.99 a month. This is only available as "free for all". $149.99 for 1 TV or 199.99 for 2 TV, no monthly credits are allowed for this promotion. I do not have a channel list for the Welcome Package, boss said he would email me one in the next day or so. He did say it was real similar to the family package, but with a few less channels. This package is something that was born in light of the digital transition, it is something that is not advertised on dish's website. There is no sales commissions with selling this package or very low. I would personally sell this package(for referrals), I do see a legitimate market for this type of programming. Call Dish or a retailer to find out more about this unadvertised package called the "Welcome Package".

$9.99 Welcome Pack (Without Locals)
$9.99 Locals Only
$14.99 Locals WITH Welcome Pack
$14.99 Family Pack (Without Locals) <after $5.00 Free For All Credit>
$19.99 Family Pack WITH Locals <after $5.00 Free For All Credit>

Want some movies for cheap to add in addition to this? Encore Package (True, Love, Mystery, Action, Westerns, Encore West) for $4.99 per month.

Thank you, thank you, Steelersrule. Finally, something helpful. I'll let you know how I do on finding the hidden treasure. Surfing their site has been frustrating most times, but I'll hang in there and phone a few times now that I've got something to work with.

Tom

You can buy used equipment for much cheaper than $149. If you find a Dish DVR 508 or 501 (but NOT 510), you don't pay the $5.98/month DVR fee and with the 508 you have 60 hours of recording. Combine that with $14.99/month for the Welcome Pack + Locals and you have a really inexpensive package. I'm using this equipment and package and using prepaid to augment occasionally. Check on eBay or Craigslist for people selling 501/508 units. Just make sure they are working, come with a remote, and have zero balance. You can use the same dish 500 antenna you were thinking about for prepaid, or find one on Craiglist for $20-$30. You might get a dish and 508 for around $80 and be doing very well. I paid $30 for a 508 recently that is working, just no remote.

Oh and by FTA, I mean the legal FTA like the forums here at Satellite Guys and this type of programming: FTAList.com - G18 Channel List

I'm learning.

I have a 500 dish with two lnb's on a yoke instead of the 'twin' lnb at the moment. Would those be usable with the 501/508?
I had already bought the receiver for the prepaid system from a garage sale, but found it only wants to see a 'twin', so have started looking for one.

This is why I was asking in this forum. No one better to know what's up than users. Salespeople are not the best source of answers...

Tom

New DishNOW user report

After reading all the posts here and checking prices on EBAY, I bought a 301 prepaid box with G3 card last month ($49.99/shipping included) and since I already have Dish, which is currently turned off, I just hooked is up to the existing RG6 (I am using a Legacy 500 dish and the 301 works with any of their dishes), and checked the signal and ran the update. Per advice on here I bought a $20 GDMP card at CVS (looks like you have to buy them with cash only, no debit cards) and called in on a Monday evening about 8:00 PM to activate the service. Talked to a CSR and the first try didn't get a signal. I had ordered 2 days of Dish Family to try it out. The second call got me another CSR and they sent the signal and I got my programming menu. A tip if you are ordering more days in the evening is to order two days, not three. Also found out that the non-verbal (use phone buttons only) method works perfectly except that once you are done the system kicks you to a CSR for no reason, so just hang up. Programming usually comes in within a couple of minutes. My existing system uses the old 3900 box and I could never get the programming menu properly (would only show the next show and would take forever or wouldn't download anything if you tried to move the time forward a few hours). The 301 picks up the programming perfectly and changes channels lightning quick compared to the 3900. One thing you can't get with prepaid is the Channel 100 interactive channel, plus the already mentioned regional sports channels. Intend to use this system at a second residence we have in lieu of cable (which I detest), and use a Dish Pro Plus dish (bought it on EBAY for $26 brand new and guy was local to DC so no shipping) and a tripod (just bought on EBAY for $39.76 shipping included) with mast, compass, level, 30' RG6, spikes to secure to the ground, and even a flat coax for going under the patio door. Intend to test it here locally first and then move it to the second place. Will let you know how it goes. Still like regular dish for the missing features and will probably turn mine back on in the fall for sports. Hope this is informational. DishNOW is a great solution for a second residence.

Last edited:
I'm learning.

I have a 500 dish with two lnb's on a yoke instead of the 'twin' lnb at the moment. Would those be usable with the 501/508?
I had already bought the receiver for the prepaid system from a garage sale, but found it only wants to see a 'twin', so have started looking for one.

This is why I was asking in this forum. No one better to know what's up than users. Salespeople are not the best source of answers...

Tom

Get rid of the Yoke, and get these types of products to make your Dish 500 usuable for EITHER(they are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. I sent you a PM about it) the Dish NOW! Prepaid setup, or a regular Dish account.

You don't have to get them from this store, but these are the things you will need to put on the Dish 500 satellite Dish:

Dual LNB Y Bracket 6 for Dish 500 [BRACKET6] - $9.99 : The Satellite Shop, Satellite Equipment - TV Dish Programming

Dishpro Twin LNBF for Dishnetwork 110 119 uses DP34 Multiswitch [Dish Pro Twin LNBf] - $44.99 : The Satellite Shop, Satellite Equipment - TV Dish Programming

That is what you need.

Setting up prepaid with a tripod

I finally got my tripod kit from ebay (tripod, mast, 30 ft RG6, splitter, spikes, barrel connectors for $39.76/shipping included) and set it up in my yard next to my existing Dish 500 (legacy) which is on a post in the ground. Eyeballed it as to azimuth using my existing disk next to is (set the skew and elevation from the marks), checked for level and plumb and went inside, ran the check switch and it recognized my lnb's (Dish Pro Plus twin) and boom I got a signal and a lock and it tuned to 1119 and 110 and pulled down the programming guide. Seems like a piece of cake if you can get the satellite aimed pretty well. Guess I am now mobile and on a budget too ($49.99 for the Dish 301, $26.00 for the Dish and LNB's, and $39.76 for the tripod kit).

vuqube

assuming you purchase a receiver altered for prepaid dish
can you use a vuqube with it or only a dish- also winegard carryout

thanks

Last edited:
assuming you purchase a receiver altered for prepaid dish
can you use a vuqube with it or only a dish- also winegard carryout

thanks
gerrym51,

I have NO IDEA what a "vuqube or a winegard carryout" are, but I can tell you this:

If you have a setup where you can/are receiving BOTH satellites 110/119 from Dish Network, then you can add a refurbished prepaid DP301(or DP311. Whatever they are using now) to any system, or setup.

But YOU MUST be receiving 110/119 or no go. That is the key.

gerrym51,

I have NO IDEA what a "vuqube or a winegard carryout" are, but I can tell you this:

If you have a setup where you can/are receiving BOTH satellites 110/119 from Dish Network, then you can add a refurbished prepaid DP301(or DP311. Whatever they are using now) to any system, or setup.

But YOU MUST be receiving 110/119 or no go. That is the key.

Actually isn't just 119 ok at the minimum? I don't recall ever seeing anything pre-paid coming off 110. There are also people here using Single LNB dishes (pointed at 119).

The prepaid activation signal is also beamed from 119.

vuqube

vuqube and carryout are portable satellite domed dishes used by rvers and
campers. made by king controls and winegard respectively.

gerry

Actually isn't just 119 ok at the minimum? I don't recall ever seeing anything pre-paid coming off 110. There are also people here using Single LNB dishes (pointed at 119).

The prepaid activation signal is also beamed from 119.

You could just be receiving 119, but you WILL be losing some channels in the channel lineups of Classic Silver 200, and especially in Classic Gold 250. On CL250, you would be losing ALOT of channels.

Also, the Adult channels come off of 110.

Here is a link to where the channels are located:

The Echostar Knowledge Base

By the way, anyone who uses Dish NOW! prepaid receiving "The N" anymore? It was supposed to be on channel 181, but I do not have it in my channel lineup at all.

I kinda remember when CHILLER channel first came on the scene, and it was like 3-5 months before prepaid Dish customers received it in their channel lineup.

Anyway, this appears to be happening with The N. I don't have it at 181, or that 5000 channel that some mentioned.

Anyone else?

vuqube and carryout are portable satellite domed dishes used by rvers and
campers. made by king controls and winegard respectively.

gerry

Like I said gerry, if those units can receive 110/119 with no problems, then adding a prepaid DP301 from Saudon(who is a advertiser here, and who has the new G3 cards already in the prepaid boxes he sells) would be no problem(hopefully ;) you never really know) to your current setup.

Re: DishNow!

My kids are currently in Albany, NY and looking for a "father's day gift" for me.

Can someone tell me which major retailers carry DishNow? (dp301/G3).
I know that the $40 cards are available at radio shack - but do they also sell the receiver/G3 package? I've googled it - but nothing seems to come up except for online satellite retailers.

Thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)