DISH Price Increases

I apologize. The content throughout was geared towards MVPDs as that was the previous discussion. Especially with TIVo, they do not have place shifting, correct? Would require the purchase of additional equipment such as a Sling Box? Or transfers?

They do. It's called TiVo stream. It's built into some boxes and some require a $99 add on box.

Reactions: Mr Tony
If you want to use semantics to make your point than sure. The fact is that Tivos commercial skip is directly comparable to auto-hop. To act like auto-hop is the only game in town is silly. Anyone on any cable provider in the country can have very similar functionality by getting a TiVo and it actually works on more channels.
With 4.5 million total subscribers, I am not ready to say that this is semantics. Hence, the MVPD part of it. I would care to venture the average consumer would rather pay for a provider owned and supported DVR. Makes a big difference in the statements made.

With 4.5 million total subscribers, I am not ready to say that this is semantics. Hence, the MVPD part of it. I would care to venture the average consumer would rather pay for a provider owned and supported DVR. Makes a big difference in the statements made.

I think it's also a situation of people just signing up for service and taking what the provider offers. The average person doesn't know that CableCard exists. Even if I didn't have lifetime service the monthly TiVo fee is less than or equal to the equipment fees most people pay for their DVR from the cable company.

They also don't know that TiVo has more tuners than most cable DVRs, whole home DVR features, built in streaming apps, remote viewing with TiVo Stream, automatic commercial skipping, and a flatout better UI. I don't think people would actively choose the cable company DVRs if they knew those things.

It's been around for sometime... There has to be a reason. TiVo has their niche, and that is that. I know most TiVo users are very happy, but there are plenty satisfied with the current setup of MVPD offered DVRs as well.

If you want to use semantics to make your point than sure. The fact is that Tivos commercial skip is directly comparable to auto-hop. To act like auto-hop is the only game in town is silly. Anyone on any cable provider in the country can have very similar functionality by getting a TiVo and it actually works on more channels.

AND, if you do NOT want to have to pay for TV, (which more & more people are choosing) then you can use the totally FREE MVPD provider that's in the air...& in most markets get on average a dozen channels FREE for the taking...& STILL get CS in the process.

They also don't know that TiVo has more tuners than most cable DVRs, whole home DVR features, built in streaming apps, remote viewing with TiVo Stream, automatic commercial skipping, and a flatout better UI. I don't think people would actively choose the cable company DVRs if they knew those things.
dont forget more storage.
I know the one cable company near me (not Comcast) touts a DVR with 80 SD hours (and 15 HD hours)
Mediacom is using the Tivo now...must be a basic unit as it says 75 hours. My OTA one has the same storage

AND, if you do NOT want to have to pay for TV, (which more & more people are choosing) then you can use the totally FREE MVPD provider that's in the air...& in most markets get on average a dozen channels FREE for the taking...& STILL get CS in the process.
agreed!

Dish DVR is getting to where they are right around the same price as the Tivo but I assume most would take the Dish DVR due to their promotions and so forth. If Dish improves the DVR then they can stay a step ahead of the Tivo but if people switch providers a lot like every two years to take the promotions then they may want to get the Tivo so that they do not lose the content on the DVR hard drive.

funny how you asked what company...then when we said Tivo you are trying to backtrack :rolleyes:

Both Tivo Bolt (and soon the Roamios) and the Hawper can do commercial skip. Any other model of Tivo or Dish cannot. Simple as that.
Actually RCN and Blue Ridge Communications use TIVO Roamio Plus Models.
There are others I just don't know off hand.
I had Blue Ridge they call them T6s. They have Netflix, and VOD available as well as 1TB hard drive, and they do offer another TB expansion.
It was $19.95 a month, the Minis are $5.95 per room.
http://www.brctv.com/tivo
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

dont forget more storage.
I know the one cable company near me (not Comcast) touts a DVR with 80 SD hours (and 15 HD hours)
Mediacom is using the Tivo now...must be a basic unit as it says 75 hours. My OTA one has the same storage
Mediacom uses the Premier, not the Roamio.

Mediacom here in MN says record 5 shows while watching a 6th. The Premiere is a 4 tuner unit. The Roamio has a 6 tuner unit (they also show whole home)

And I think the new installs hav 1TB drives. Initially they had 500gb drives.

I didn't get their TiVo unit because of the limited streaming support compared to the Roamio.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

In most areas, Mediacom is using a Pace TiVo box that is more similar to the Roamio.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Similar but it's Not a Roamio.
The T6s are Roamios.
You are getting tivo software on Pace hardware.
Just like Directv THR22.

Miles apart from. ROAMIO.

Their new head of Marketing at Tivo is the same guy who introduced AutoHop on the Hopper, that being Ira Bahr.
And Dish also lost a Huge lawsuit to Tivo for stealing the DVR Technology.
If we want to start talking about which came first.

Let's not confuse that Yes the Hopper had auto hop first, But Dish also had some DVR help.
In the past!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)