Dish Satellite Channel Feed Question

FlorIdaho Chris

Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
Florida and Idaho
OK, so I am a newbie here. After many hours searching the net I haven't found my answer but my surfing brought me here to this group of experts. I am hoping someone can help.

Here's my situation: KVH M9 dish mounted on my boat. I have been a Direct TV customer but can only get SD with my setup and I cannot modify my antenna (without big bucks $10K+) to get DTV in HD. I am now considering changing to Dish. However, here is my problem:

The Bad: - I can only point to ONE satellite at a time with this setup. Multiple LNB on this dish is not available. Changing/pointing to a different satellite is difficult and a pain. It is doable, but certainly not convenient (requires a Telnet session/connection with my laptop).

The Good: - I only want to receive the four major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX) in HD.

The question: Can I point to just one Dish satellite and receive both the guide information and the above HD channels on just one satellite? If so which one?

Other considerations:

- An OTA antenna is a no-go since the boat is frequently in remote locations where an OTA signal is not available.

- I am in South FL thus the Miami HD spot would work for me. But I would take the East Coast HD Network feeds if available/needed/legal.

I have searched the "The List" provided by The Satellite Guys but cannot determine which satellites provide guide information, nor frankly the HD spot signals for Miami.

Thank for your help!

-Chris

Take a look at West Palm Beach, Florida on 61.5W. I suspect this is the one you will be using. It will have full guide info. click on the market header on the list to sort by market and you will see the market specific channels.

Do you live on the boat full time or do you also have a house on land? If so, you could put a dish and Hopper there and use Dish Anywhere on the boat. You would need to be able to receive a wifi signal on the boat. A mifi hotspot that connects to Sprint would give you connection as long as you can receive a Sprint signal.
Just a thought.

Dish puts the local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX) on the same satellite for each market, in fact they are on the same transponder (this allows the hopper to record all 4 using just one tuner, a feature known as prime time any time)
At the bottom of the page you will find "the list!" it has all the info I think you are looking for.
Dish has two sets (arcs) of satellites, east (61.5 72.7 77 ) and west (110 119 129)

Take a look at West Palm Beach, Florida on 61.5W. I suspect this is the one you will be using. It will have full guide info. click on the market header on the list to sort by market and you will see the market specific channels.

I agree, 61.5w is most likely, and has a good strong signal so you should be able to pick it up fairly easily.

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did not realize I could sort the data by clicking on the headers. THAT sure made things easier!

Just my curiosity; what/how is the Dish Guide information identified on the "Name" column?

Do you live on the boat full time or do you also have a house on land? If so, you could put a dish and Hopper there and use Dish Anywhere on the boat. You would need to be able to receive a wifi signal on the boat. A mifi hotspot that connects to Sprint would give you connection as long as you can receive a Sprint signal.
Just a thought.

Unfortunately my travels take me beyond US cell coverage (think Bimini). Great idea though, thanks.

Can you get any wifi when you are there? All you need is a wifi connection.
Was on Bimini many years ago while on a windjammer cruise. Had the best fish and chips at a small dinner. Fried lobster and grouper with the fries.