DISH Sues Networks

Networks generate revenue with those commercials. if Dish is going to automatically subvert them then the networks should pull their programming from Dish. let's see who lasts the longest. there will be a mass exodus to Directv and in the end the networks will not lose. Any service in this day in age that cannot deliver the major networks is a dead service.

the scheme is to generate from the commercials OTA and by charging more by carrying agreements, so, satellite and cable are paying more for the same content available free OTA

the scheme is to generate from the commercials OTA and by charging more by carrying agreements, so, satellite and cable are paying more for the same content available free OTA

Yep, that and more. It's not as easy as vurbano makes it out to be. First it's not automatic, not sure where that came from the user has to choose it each night. Second he's ignoring the other side of the coin. If Dish is legally allowed to use it, and it's as popular as it appears to already be, you don't think others will do something similar? And if it is legal, can the Networks just refuse to negotiate, or not negotiate in good faith? When technology is trying to be outlawed it becomes a very long and hard process.
Don't doubt for a moment the offering of free programming or near free by the networks when costs to the providers go up and up isn't a driving factor.

This is going to get messy.
Only as a sideshow in the courts.

Networks generate revenue with those commercials. if Dish is going to automatically subvert them then the networks should pull their programming from Dish. let's see who lasts the longest. there will be a mass exodus to Directv and in the end the networks will not lose. Any service in this day in age that cannot deliver the major networks is a dead service.

ABC hasn't chimed in, but the fact we have the suits pretty much guarantees those nets won't pull the content. Auto-hop was only going to be viable until the next round of contract renewals anyway.

This is a PR win for Dish no matter how it turns out.

I see our base programming costs in 2013 going up partially because of this. DISH will have to recoup their legal fees somehow....

I think this whole thing stinks.
Sorry but I wish Dishnetwork would be more carefull. It seems like they never do their reseach to see what they can and can't do.

I did my research, I looked at all the cases and lawsuits against Dishnetwork, and that one of the reasons I didn't pick them as a provider.

Lets just think about this, If CBS,FOX ABC, NBC pull their channels, then what? ( Don't forget they own quite a bit more chnnels then just locals!
Dish already has Rainbow Media issues, so there goes some more.

I saw a post the other day, "could you live with only 12 channels" This may very well be the case!

I personally would not like to see Dish go away. Its important that we have 2 or even 3 satellite companys on the block. If cable is running the streets, god help us, we might as well turn into robots.

They will not pull their channels, if they do they lose 14 million pairs of eyeballs, which is much worse then a small handful of folks with Hoppers skipping commercials... most of them who already skipped commercials anyways without AutoHop.

So if you have done your research, direct me to where Dish can not use the feature.......... Or that if legal they will be the only ones to use it....Or as Scott points out they would actually pull programming from potentially 14 million viewers.

One of the things funny about these lawsuits is the networks have not done their homework to how AutoHop works... hell its a PATENTED technology. :D

So if you have done your research, direct me to where Dish can not use the feature.......... Or that if legal they will be the only ones to use it....
Its not my job to research a multi million dollar satellite companys infringements.

Its my job to research reasons to subscribe or not subscribe to a specific place i would bring my money.

Just saying it doesn't hurt to check into stuff and avoid ths nonsence.

Having a feature that can record without showing commercials, is a great Idea!,, On the Down low, in your private home. Not all over the adds when local networks provide these channels for FREE, YES FREE. Commercials pay for these networks so you can watch them for free OTA.
So what good could come from this when dish is running all over town promoting local channels with no commercials.

I don't see anyone else doing this. You think Dish is the only one who ever thought of this feature? Some how I doubt it!

Dtro77, I do agree with you one something however If NOT Free OTA TV. The TV companies CHARGE Satellite and Cable companies to GIVE THEM more viewers.

One of the things funny about these lawsuits is the networks have not done their homework to how AutoHop works... hell its a PATENTED technology. :D
I agree. Maybe its something that will be dealt wth in time. But would we be talking about this if these networks had a good relationship with Dish?

Just saying its sad, and everyone suffers.
I honestly think its not Dishs intention, I think its just one guy who needs to get replaced, or learn to be more carefull. After all these things cost money, Dish doesn't want to be sued.

Yes this is a form of advertising, but in a negative way. People look at one word "Sue" and look the other way.

Dtro77, I do agree with you one something however If NOT Free OTA TV. The TV companies CHARGE Satellite and Cable companies to GIVE THEM more viewers.
They charge us too, which IMOH I don't get why we have to have commercials at all. We pay for TV!

I'm not against Dish in this , lets get that out of the way.

But everyone knows the rules, and how it works. It seems in all the Dishnetwork lawsuits they are always looking for a loophole. Everyone is, but they just seem like they jump too early .

I dont know I have heard from a number of retailers who say their phone started ringing looking for info on the Hopper last night after the news of the AutoHop lawsuit came out.

Now without advertising AutoHop on TV at all many people are learing about it due to the free promotion by these networks. :)

Now with that said "But would we be talking about this if these networks had a good relationship with Dish?" thats a good question. When I heard the news of AutoHop for the first time I was excited yet concerned at the same time. Who knows a few years from now we might think of what Charlie Ergen did for Television just like we do now for what Steve Job's did for Music.

:D New Direct TV commercial:
  • When you skip commercials on Dish TV, you get giddy. (giddy: Having a sensation of whirling and a tendency to fall or stagger)
  • When you get giddy, you fall down in front of your wife and mother in law.
  • When you fall down in front of your wife and mother in law, they have you committed.
  • When you've been committed, you play with your navel with a rusty nail.
  • When you play with your navel with a rusty nail, you get a lobotomy.
  • Don't get a lobotomy, get rid of Dish TV, upgrade to Direct TV!
Um_EstranhonoNinho8.jpg

I don't see anyone else doing this. You think Dish is the only one who ever thought of this feature? Some how I doubt it!

The words of a follower. Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)