DISH Sues Networks

:D New Direct TV commercial:
  • When you skip commercials on Dish TV, you get giddy. (giddy: Having a sensation of whirling and a tendency to fall or stagger)
  • When you get giddy, you fall down in front of your wife and mother in law.
  • When you fall down in front of your wife and mother in law, they have you committed.
  • When you've been committed, you play with your navel with a rusty nail.
  • When you play with your navel with a rusty nail, you get a lobotomy.
  • Don't get a lobotomy, get rid of Dish TV, upgrade to Direct TV!
View attachment 77377

Thats great!:D:D

I dont know I have heard from a number of retailers who say their phone started ringing looking for info on the Hopper last night after the news of the AutoHop lawsuit came out.

Now without advertising AutoHop on TV at all many people are learing about it due to the free promotion by these networks. :)

Now with that said "But would we be talking about this if these networks had a good relationship with Dish?" thats a good question. When I heard the news of AutoHop for the first time I was excited yet concerned at the same time. Who knows a few years from now we might think of what Charlie Ergen did for Television just like we do now for what Steve Job's did for Music.
This would be something to watch!

I mean lets face it the Networks aren't that dumb, they noticed something they don't like, Someone has a hopper on the staff for sure. I don't think its just a case , "OH OK so thats how that hopper thing works"

I know so of you guys wish it was that simple:)

It must just be that I like mavericks. I like Mark Cuban. I like Charlie. I like people who ask "But why does it have to be this way." They can be trying to those that have to deal with them, but they are necessary to society.

New Direct TV commercial:

• When you skip commercials on Dish TV, you get giddy. (giddy: Having a sensation of whirling and a tendency to fall or stagger)
  • When you get giddy, you fall down in front of your wife and mother in law.
  • When you fall down in front of your wife and mother in law, they have you committed.
  • When you've been committed, you play with your navel with a rusty nail.
  • When you play with your navel with a rusty nail, you get a lobotomy.
  • Don't get a lobotomy, get rid of Dish TV, upgrade to Direct TV!

Now thats funny!

Now we all realize that there is one winner in this whole lawsuit right? The attorneys. Dish may win or lose, the networks may win or lose, but the attorneys, they win on both sides. Lawsuits are not free, someone will foot the bill. Guess who?

Now we all realize that there is one winner in this whole lawsuit right? The attorneys. Dish may win or lose, the networks may win or lose, but the attorneys, they win on both sides. Lawsuits are not free, someone will foot the bill. Guess who?
Yep, the Lawyers win again. And the bill goes up.

Yep, the Lawyers win again. And the bill goes up.
Obviously, you haven't been around for very long. Dish has a long record of irritating program providers and keeping their lawyers fully employed. And yet, they are still in business, innovating, and thriving.

Obviously, you haven't been around for very long. Dish has a long record of irritating program providers and keeping their lawyers fully employed. And yet, they are still in business, innovating, and thriving.
Where to they get this money to innovate and thrive and keep their lawyers fully employed? You can't tell me a business getting sued will make just as much money as the same one thats not. You don't have to be anywhere long to figure that out.

They will not pull their channels, if they do they lose 14 million pairs of eyeballs, which is much worse then a small handful of folks with Hoppers skipping commercials... most of them who already skipped commercials anyways without AutoHop.
No 14 million Pairs of Eye balls will just Sue dish for not providing local channels and get out of their ETF and then switch to Cable , ATT,Verizon, or Directv. and the ones that decide they want to stay will just expect a discount, which they should get since they wouldn't be providing locals.

This is not what we want to happen, but it could.

The only thing good that can come of this, is Dish wins!

They will not pull their channels, if they do they lose 14 million pairs of eyeballs, which is much worse then a small handful of folks with Hoppers skipping commercials... most of them who already skipped commercials anyways without AutoHop.

And as someone else said, the big 4 Networks also own most of the cable networks. If they pulled everything they own Dish would have almost nothing left to show. That being said there are contracts in place for all of these channels. They can't just start pulling stuff because they are mad or Dish would have them for breach of contract.

I'm usually one of the hardest people on Dish when it comes to contract disputes but in this case I don't see them losing channels over this. Worst case scenario I see is they force them to turn off auto hop and make them pay damages for the time it was used. Best case scenario is they say it's legal and the networks can't come after them again for auto hop.

No 14 million Pairs of Eye balls will just Sue dish for not providing local channels and get out of their ETF and then switch to Cable , ATT,Verizon, or Directv. and the ones that decide they want to stay will just expect a discount, which they should get since they wouldn't be providing locals.

I've got a good OTA antenna plugged into all my Dish receivers. I have also always paid for locals on Dish, not to watch the locals on Dish which I never do, but rather to get the guide data so that I can record the locals OTA. I could not care less if all my Dish locals go away, as long as the OTA guide data is still there.

So obviously I intend to stay, locals via sat, or no locals via sat.

Just a worst case scenario. Calm down people.
Well, then perhaps stop throwing out worst case scenarios. You should be familiar enough with human nature to know people tend to feed on the negatives.

I almost forgot, also to quote dare2be,:popcorn
I'm stocking up.
Great, I now have a schtick to be known by, just like gpollack does ;) :D

Well, then perhaps stop throwing out worst case scenarios. You should be familiar enough with human nature to know people tend to feed on the negatives.
Speaking of that, it's almost lunchtime. I'm hungry! :)

That might be your nature, But that is far from Human Nature!

Human Nature is to make light of a situation.
Then reality sets in and everyone is disappointed.

I think this has more to do with PTAT. Think about, the cable providers showtime nbc etc get extra fees from comcast for their on demand service. That is why comcast runs ads to offset these fees. Even hulu has to pay the networks for the shows they stream the next day.

Dish on the other hand pays nothing to the networks for the ptat feature. The networks will contend that this is the same service as hulu thus they should get paid.

It is not like recording a program since folks do not record all of the networks at once just certain show.

I believe this at the heart of fox lawsuit aganist dish.