Dish Transfer App

Dugan5468

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Columbiana, Ohio
Does anyone have any information regarding whether the new Dish transfer app will work with the "first gen" hopper and joey's? Thank you.

To continue ...

They are not fast enough ... to transcode or convert the programming to an iPad compatible format.

As it is, the conversion time is a 1 to 1 ratio. Hence, for a 2 hour program, it will take approximately 2 hours to convert.

I imagine Hopper 2012 could do it ... but its ratio would obviously be much higher.

(And of course ... CES 2014 will probably debut a new Hopper 2014 that will be 4 to 1. That is ... a 2 hour program will only take 30 minutes to convert ...)

I could have swore that Dish said they would convert 1 hr in 10 mins.

I could have swore that Dish said they would convert 1 hr in 10 mins.

It has been said it will do 5 minutes of video in 30 minutes or like you said. That would be the transfer from the receiver to the iPad app but I'm not sure how long the receiver takes to convert the video into the format that can be transferred. (If that makes any sense)

Right, and its that transcoding time that is one to one. Apparently you can set your timers such that it will convert automatically once the recording is finished. It would be cool if it could convert on the fly.

It would be interesting how this would work for PTAT. How would it prioritize which gets converted? 3 hours of programming times 4 channels, that 12 hours of conversions it has to do. Now add up all the space that is going to use.

As long as you let the hopper trans code say overnight then it shouldn't be a big deal.Have your shows ready to load on your device when you get up.

Which makes me wonder...Just what all is involved in the transcoding process?I know that compression is part of the process but,what else?DRM?If it's just a matter of compression you wouldn't think it would take a 1-1 ratio.

All I care about is that it can be done. I can transfer the videos anytime, all I care is that I have the capability to do it. It will be great on flights on long drives. It will keep my son happy too.

Which makes me wonder...Just what all is involved in the transcoding process?I know that compression is part of the process but,what else?DRM?If it's just a matter of compression you wouldn't think it would take a 1-1 ratio.

If I understand the press release, there is definitely DRM going on. This will mean the original HD program in all it's original glory will be transcoded and then deleted. Whether you can ever transfer back to the H2, is an unknown. But once the PQ goes down to iPad quality, who would want to? Too bad we can't use our tablets just like an EHD.

If I understand the press release, there is definitely DRM going on. This will mean the original HD program in all it's original glory will be transcoded and then deleted. Whether you can ever transfer back to the H2, is an unknown. But once the PQ goes down to iPad quality, who would want to? Too bad we can't use our tablets just like an EHD.

Content with DRM restrictions are moved to the Ipad, not copied. So once you try to prep the content for transfer it will tell you that it is going to deleted it off of the Hopper. You can NOT transfer back from the Ipad to the Hopper.

All I care about is that it can be done. I can transfer the videos anytime, all I care is that I have the capability to do it. It will be great on flights on long drives. It will keep my son happy too.
But only if you have an iPad. Android tablet users (there are many of us) are SOL for now. You have to wonder, why only iPad?

Problably only Ipad right away because of Dish's customer base and the numbers on how many Ipad users they have vs. Android tablet users. I would guess that eventually it will make its way over to Android but I'm sure they started with the platform which has the most users in their customer base.

But only if you have an iPad. Android tablet users (there are many of us) are SOL for now. You have to wonder, why only iPad?

Same reason there are not as many games available for the Macintosh -- The iPad gives Dish more bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD