Dish TV OR Directv???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
***Mods, I originally posted this on the Dish Forum, but since I wanted to get opinions from both "sides" I'm also posting it here. If you'd like it to only be in one forum, please feel free to delete the post***

I wanted to get the opinions of the very knowledgeable and informed members of this board regarding whether to sign up for Dish Network or Directv based upon my own personal likes and dislikes.

First, here are my positives/negatives for Dish Network. POSITIVES: Zero upfront costs on their HD DVR box which I will definitely be needing. A fantastic HD lineup RIGHT NOW, with the promise of adding more HD channels in the future, so not much of a chance of having a poor HD selection. Very good PQ. NEGATIVES: No locals in HD here in Columbus, Ohio with no concrete timeline on when they will be added. No announcements of any kind on whether they will add the new HD versions of HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime as they come out. No ambitious VOD HD plans. Not as good of a sports lineup, BUT, I'm first and foremost a hockey fan and I see no real advantage in either service with regards to hockey.

Positives/negatives for Directv. POSITIVES: My Columbus, Ohio locals are available in HD. HD versions of all the major movie channels WILL be released as they become available. Fantastic sports lineup. Great offer to get free NFL Sunday Ticket in HD. MPEG4 HD quality is very high. NEGATIVES: Having to pay at least $300 in upfront costs to get their HD DVR box and a HD box. This is a HUGE negative to me. Until HD channels are actually there, it's all just words.

One thing that would push me in either direction. To go to Dish, getting my locals in HD. To go to Directv, eliminate the rediculous $300 in upfront costs. Hard to justify such costs to a wife who couldn't care less who are provider is! :)

Thanks for reading this guys, I appreciate any input you might have.

Not sure what thoughts any of us have that would help. You pretty much laid it all out. Sounds to me like you like Dish other then no HD locals. I'm pretty sure the Dish HD DVR can do OTA. So if you can put up an OTA antenna and get your HD locals that way the it sounds like you'd want Dish because you can't pay the up front money from DirecTV.

Or maybe wait until the new HD is actually up from DirecTV and see what kind of deals you can get then (plus the HD playing field should be a bit more level).

I like both Dish's 622 and Directv's HR20. The one MAJOR disadvantage for me is the 622's lack of 2 OTA tuners. Since HD markets are limited on Dish Network you would have thunk they would have put the 2 OTA tuners in. Its only got one. If I was on the fence, this would, by far, kick me to Directv.

I saw your thread over in the E* section, sounds like the lack of being able to record to network channels at the same time is a problem. Someone mentioned 'moving' as a solution to your problem with that. E* uses CONUS transponders for their HD LIL channels, so you can basically just call E*, tell them that you moved to an address in a city that has OTA HD channels, like Chicago, and you'd get the local Chicago HD channels, it's called changing your service address. You can do this but it is breaking the intent of the law that says you should receive only the local network channels for your area. A couple down sides are that since you'd now be in another city sports blackouts would be based on that address. I also believe that you'd loose the SD network channels from Milwaukee since D* would set you up for Chicago as an example and you maybe outside the spotbeam for those channels. Also, if you needed a service call you'd have to 'move' back else they'd be sending someone to Chicago.

Don't know what to say about the $300 up front charge for the HR20, yep that blows. You might want to try calling D*, tell the CSR that you just got a new HDTV, want a HD DVE and both your cable company and E* don't charge an upfront fee for one and see if they'll make you a deal, some folks have said they've gotten a reduced charge for it. Good luck.

I faced a similar decision not too long ago. A friend of mine recommended I call Direct Digital TV, to see what they could do. They managed to knock a lot of the 300 off as well as give me a few little extras for the first few months to help out with it as well. its worth checking out.

Last edited:
I'm in the same predicament you're in well, I should say... I was. I'm switching to D* 'cause it came down to the have and have not. D* have locals HD E* doesn't. I do not know why you have to pay $300.00. I'm returning back to D* and my up front money is $233.00. I'm getting the HR20 HD DVR and they are hooking up my 2 R10s for free also, I'm getting $20.00 off for the next ten months and HBO, Showtime/Cinemax free for 3 months. I take it you are a first time costumer so you should get a better deal than that.

As a PSU Grad, class of 82, and living in Columbus (Bexley) I of course will steer you toward D*. Not sure of the status of Big10 network on E*, reason enough?

FlyingJ,

I knew there was something wrong with you! :DColumbus(Hilliard) OSU 84.

robbie,

I know where you live! Come October 27th I'm gonna paint your yard Blue and White and leave a JoePa for president sign in your yard! :D:D:D

Okay, I have actually done that to a neighbor down the street!

Another Penn Stater here! I've had DirecTV since 1995 and have always been pleased with the service. I know there's lots of horror stories, but like almost any company today, the problems are mainly caused by unknowledgable and untrained minimum-wage customer support. I've always found legitimate gripes to be handled properly by supervision, customer retention, etc.

Good luck whatever you decide. Satellite TV is something special!

When I mentioned to D* that E* was giving their HD DVR for free, D* put me on hold and then came back and gave me the HR20 for free (along with upgraded 5 LNB dish). It's just a matter of getting the right rep on the phone and being polite to them.

Keep calling Direct until you get the deal you want You could always go standard now then get a free upgrade to hd

robbie,

I know where you live! Come October 27th I'm gonna paint your yard Blue and White and leave a JoePa for president sign in your yard! :D:D:D

Okay, I have actually done that to a neighbor down the street!
Well FlyingJ,

By giving out our Grad years I think it shows how old we are!:eek: Are you thinking about upgrading to the HR20 & 5 lnb?

Well FlyingJ,

By giving out our Grad years I think it shows how old we are!:eek: Are you thinking about upgrading to the HR20 & 5 lnb?

Nice spam sir1jag, but back to topic,,,,yup, going to do it in August. We really don't have a choice but I am gonna miss my Tivo.

Id wait a month to see if

DirecTv: HD roll out

Dish: external usb storage and IPTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)