DishPlayer 942 is (NOT) out!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mark from DBSTalk will have the first review of, after they we will post our honest review of the unit.

Actually I am looking forward to it. :)

Scott, you'll be surprised at how many bugs I list in the review.

Yup thats the reason I was told that the 942 was not released today. :)

Funny part about the 942 is I didn't want one. I thought it was STUPID not to have 2 OTA tuners. But now I am actually looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Why dont they just let people get them now if they agree to Beta test. Many here would love to help.

I like beta testing new software. Do it for a living. I got my $250 ready also.

Earlier when I saw the delay mentioned and that it was likely a software problem I was actually thinking to myself "so someone actually turned one on then" and now this basically fits what I was thinking then. :D :( :no

The 942 is not going to be any different than the 921 is/was when it was released. Why are so many of you falling for this? I wouldn't buy/lease this receiver, the only way that I would put it to use is if Dish gave me one to test, I'd be willing to help them, but I wouldn't buy this thing (perhaps if they sold it for the $250 that you have to pay to lease it). You all are going to buy this, and you can't wait to get your hands on one at that. I can't wait until all of the complaints start rolling in on the 942, it will be madeness! And I will have to say I told you so!

Of course this is my opinion, and if and I say IF the 942 doens't have any problems I will be the first to say I was wrong.

THANK GOD I might add. Did we really want them to push out ANOTHER buggy receiver, make promises to fix it that never materialize?

Maybe JUST MAYBE they will be forced to release this one 'right' ?

Wishful thinking.

If my comcast gets the Tivo that is where I'm going.

-Allen

Trust me the 942 has problems, I have heard a few things from other testers. :) Even Mark who is under a NDA saying he has a list of bugs which will be put in his review.

Ah forget this junk. Dish still can't create an HD-DVR :( Only 1 OTA tuner and all kinds of problems. If you don't want cable and want a DVR go with D*!

No, no, no, no, no, no, no...misunderstandings abounding here...

The delay has nothing to do with some mythical bug (that doesn't exist) about not being able to take software downloads...obviously the laughing smilies were missed in my response. Receivers that aren't in your hands obviously can't take software downloads...hence the laughing smilies.

I'm pretty sure I know what's holding up the works here, and yes, while there are annoying bugs with the 942 (it's very nice living just down the street a little ways from Dish - gives me opportunities to play with new toys a lot), it's not an actual problem with the receiver. None of the bugs are huge dealbreakers, unlike the 921 had when it was first released.

Why all the interest in this receiver, that will be obsolete before Winter (if you can believe Charlie's MPEG-4 info)? If I were E*'s head of product R&D, and Charlie told me that MPEG-2 was going away, I would have scrapped development on this 6 months ago, long before it got to ANYBODY.

Or, maybe MPEG-4 isn't coming as soon as Charlie says, and they need a product to fill the shelf now that the 921 is out of production. If that were the case, I would have shifted my dollars back to the 921 production line. At least the problems with that box are known.

Mark all's that I am going on is what was told to me by two seperate Dish Employees.

I was told by an exec at Dish I need to move to Denver to get to play with the toys like you. :) No way I am moving though so that rules that out.

When are you going to post your review? It looked like it was going to go up on Monday however it got pulled for some reason, I am actually very interested in reading it.

And what I posted didn't relate to a bug at all. I was just saying that the HD tivo is still a better deal...

BFG said:
And what I posted didn't relate to a bug at all. I was just saying that the HD tivo is still a better deal...

Agree, but it also shares the pending obsolescence bugaboo with the 942.

Think I'll pass on both for now. :)

NightRyder

Ahh, I really don't understand not buying something because of a mpeg4 upgrade. On D* that's only happening for the locals right now and If you're getting your locals over an antenna you dont even need to worry about it. Let D* do their job and handle the upgrade, no need to worry about it as a consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts